Perl PPM NTLM module problem

svnpt...@gmail.com

May 20, 2009, 2:50:49 PM5/20/09
Is there something wrong with the NTLM module, or is it just my
machine that somehow has a problem with installing it ?

I have tried the command below, with the result as below:

C:\temp>ppm install NTLM
Downloading ActiveState Package Repository packlist...done
Updating ActiveState Package Repository database...done
Downloading NTLM-1.05...done
Unpacking NTLM-1.05...ppm install failed: Can't extract files from C:
\DOCUME~1\sven\LOCALS~1\Temp\ppm-rE4t9N/NTLM-1.05.tgz

I have tried to uninstall perl, and then reinstalled the latest
version (see below).

I am using Windows XP with Service Pack 3 installed, and am now (after
the reinstall) using the following perl version:

C:\temp>perl -v
Copyright 1987-2007, Larry Wall
Binary build 1004 [287188] provided by ActiveState http://www.ActiveState.com
Built Sep 3 2008 13:16:37

I am also using ZoneAlarm firewall and AVG antivirus, but have also
tried with these two programs shutdown, but it did not help neither...

I have not only tried with the command version install, i.e. "ppm
install NTLM" but have also tried with the GUI, by only writing "ppm"
and then searching for NTLM and rightclicking it and so on... but the
result is the same, i.e. something like "Unpacking NTLM-1.05...ppm
install failed: Can't extract files from C:\DOCUME~1\sven\LOCALS~1\Temp
\ppm-rE4t9N/NTLM-1.05.tgz"

Can anyone suggest a solution about how to get rid of this problem and
being able to install the NTLM module ?
(and please also note that I can indeed install other modules
successfully...)

/ Sven

sisyphus

May 20, 2009, 8:59:42 PM5/20/09
On May 21, 4:50 am, svnpttr...@gmail.com wrote:
> Is there something wrong with the NTLM module, or is it just my
> machine that somehow has a problem with installing it ?
>
> I have tried the command below, with the result as below:
>
> C:\temp>ppm install NTLM
> Downloading ActiveState Package Repository packlist...done
> Updating ActiveState Package Repository database...done
> Downloading NTLM-1.05...done
> Unpacking NTLM-1.05...ppm install failed: Can't extract files from C:
> \DOCUME~1\sven\LOCALS~1\Temp\ppm-rE4t9N/NTLM-1.05.tgz

The '.tgz' extension is puzzling, as I can't find any NTLM-1.05.tgz
binary anywhere.
I did find http://ppm4.activestate.com/MSWin32-x86/5.10/1004/B/BU/BUZZ/NTLM-1.05.tar.gz
which I *think* is the binary that it's trying to unpack. When I
download that file, I find it is only 20 bytes - so it's obviously
shit, and would explain the difficulty PPM is having in trying to
unpack it (if that is, in fact, the file it's trying to unpack).

PPM is now, after much effort on the part of ActiveState, very
difficult and annoying to troubleshoot when things go wrong.

If version 1.03 of NTLM will suffice you could try:

ppm install http://ppm.activestate.com/PPMPackages/5.10-windows/NTLM.ppd

For me that outputs:
ppm install failed: Installing MIME-Base64-3.07 for NTLM would
downgrade MIME::Base64 from version 3.0701 to 3.07; use --force to
install regardless

I didn't try using the --force switch (though I'm sure it would work),
as I didn't really want to downgrade MIME::Base64. Precisely why PPM
thinks it needs to downgrade MIME::Base64 is beyond me - just another
example of the extent to which PPM has deteriorated.

Or, if you too need to avoid having MIME::Base64 messed with, you
could save the following as 'my_ntlm.ppd':

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<SOFTPKG NAME="NTLM" VERSION="1,03,0,0">
<ABSTRACT>An NTLM authentication module</ABSTRACT>
<AUTHOR>David Bussenschutt (CENSORED)</AUTHOR>
<IMPLEMENTATION>
<ARCHITECTURE NAME="MSWin32-x86-multi-thread-5.10" />
<CODEBASE HREF="http://ppm.activestate.com/PPMPackages/5.10-windows/
MSWin32-x86-multi-thread-5.10/NTLM-1.03.tar.gz" />
<OS NAME="MSWin32" />
<PROVIDE NAME="Authen::NTLM" VERSION="1.03" />
<PROVIDE NAME="Authen::NTLM::DES" VERSION="1.02" />
<PROVIDE NAME="Authen::NTLM::MD4" VERSION="1.02" />
</IMPLEMENTATION>
<TITLE>NTLM</TITLE>
</SOFTPKG>

and then run 'ppm install my_ntlm.ppd'.
That worked for me.

(You might report these issues to ActiveState's PPM mailing list - but
don't expect any action or acknowledgement in return.)

Cheers,
Rob

PS I've just now confirmed that your problem *is* with that bodgy (20
bytes) tar.gz file. Try running the following PPD file, and you'll see
the exact same error as you've reported:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<SOFTPKG NAME="NTLM" VERSION="1,05,0,0">
<ABSTRACT>An NTLM authentication module</ABSTRACT>
<AUTHOR>David Bussenschutt (CENSORED)</AUTHOR>
<IMPLEMENTATION>
<ARCHITECTURE NAME="MSWin32-x86-multi-thread-5.10" />
<CODEBASE HREF="http://ppm4.activestate.com/MSWin32-x86/5.10/1004/B/BU/
BUZZ/NTLM-1.05.tar.gz" />
<OS NAME="MSWin32" />
<PROVIDE NAME="Authen::NTLM" VERSION="1.05" />
<PROVIDE NAME="Authen::NTLM::DES" VERSION="1.02" />
<PROVIDE NAME="Authen::NTLM::MD4" VERSION="1.02" />
</IMPLEMENTATION>
<TITLE>NTLM</TITLE>
</SOFTPKG>

svnpt...@gmail.com

May 21, 2009, 10:42:58 AM5/21/09
Thank you for your help Rob.

I reported the problem to ActiveState, and for those of you that might
run into the same problem and is looking for a solution, here is the
activestate thread, which hopfully will becoe answered with a
solution:
http://community.activestate.com/forum/problem-ntlm-module-ppm-install-failed-cant-extract-files

/ Sven

Jean-Louis MOREL

May 21, 2009, 12:39:07 PM5/21/09
Dans l'article <ddc435eb-ed77-4b28-b9dc-
e94f73...@l28g2000vba.googlegroups.com>, svnpt...@gmail.com a dit...

>Is there something wrong with the NTLM module, or is it just my
>machine that somehow has a problem with installing it ?
>
>I have tried the command below, with the result as below:
>
>C:\temp>ppm install NTLM
>Downloading ActiveState Package Repository packlist...done
>Updating ActiveState Package Repository database...done
>Downloading NTLM-1.05...done
>Unpacking NTLM-1.05...ppm install failed: Can't extract files from C:
>\DOCUME~1\sven\LOCALS~1\Temp\ppm-rE4t9N/NTLM-1.05.tgz
>
>I have tried to uninstall perl, and then reinstalled the latest
>version (see below).

Try:

ppm install http://www.bribes.org/perl/ppm/Authen-NTLM.ppd

HTH

--
J-L.M.
http://www.bribes.org/perl

svnpt...@gmail.com

May 21, 2009, 1:32:32 PM5/21/09
On May 21, 6:39 pm, jl_mo...@bribes.org (Jean-Louis MOREL) wrote:
> Dans l'article <ddc435eb-ed77-4b28-b9dc-
> e94f731db...@l28g2000vba.googlegroups.com>, svnpttr...@gmail.com a dit...

> Try:
>
>   ppm installhttp://www.bribes.org/perl/ppm/Authen-NTLM.ppd

Well, "Authen-NTLM" is another module, and I already have it installed
(version 0.31 according to the PPM gui).
Nevertheless, I tried it again and got this result:
D:\temp>ppm install http://www.bribes.org/perl/ppm/Authen-NTLM.ppd
ppm install failed: Installing MIME-Base64-3.07 for Authen-NTLM would

downgrade
MIME::Base64 from version 3.0701 to 3.07; use --force to install
regardless

(i.e. the same message as Rob above got when he tried
ppm install http://ppm.activestate.com/PPMPackages/5.10-windows/NTLM.ppd
and indeed I also get that same message as Rob did)

/ Sven

Jean-Louis MOREL

May 21, 2009, 4:16:45 PM5/21/09
Dans l'article <5923ff28-5ec4-4779-b7e9-
212bf9...@z14g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, svnpt...@gmail.com a dit...

>Well, "Authen-NTLM" is another module, and I already have it installed
>(version 0.31 according to the PPM gui).
>Nevertheless, I tried it again and got this result:
>D:\temp>ppm install http://www.bribes.org/perl/ppm/Authen-NTLM.ppd
>ppm install failed: Installing MIME-Base64-3.07 for Authen-NTLM would
>downgrade
>MIME::Base64 from version 3.0701 to 3.07; use --force to install
>regardless
>
>(i.e. the same message as Rob above got when he tried
>ppm install http://ppm.activestate.com/PPMPackages/5.10-windows/NTLM.ppd
>and indeed I also get that same message as Rob did)

The version 3.07_01 of MIME::Base64 is not in the CPAN :-(
http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/~gaas/MIME-Base64
This version is in the perl distribution:
http://kobesearch.cpan.org/htdocs/perl/Base64.pm.html

I have updated my ppm repository.
Try again:

ppm install http://www.bribes.org/perl/ppm/Authen-NTLM.ppd

or

ppm install http://www.bribes.org/perl/ppm/NTLM.ppd

(it's the same module).

svnpt...@gmail.com

May 21, 2009, 7:23:43 PM5/21/09
On May 21, 10:16 pm, jl_mo...@bribes.org (Jean-Louis MOREL) wrote:
> Dans l'article <5923ff28-5ec4-4779-b7e9-
> 212bf9dd1...@z14g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, svnpttr...@gmail.com a dit...

> The version 3.07_01 of MIME::Base64 is not in the CPAN :-(
>  http://cpan.uwinnipeg.ca/~gaas/MIME-Base64
> This version is in the perl distribution:
>  http://kobesearch.cpan.org/htdocs/perl/Base64.pm.html
>
> I have updated my ppm repository.
> Try again:
>
>   ppm installhttp://www.bribes.org/perl/ppm/Authen-NTLM.ppd
>
> or
>
>   ppm installhttp://www.bribes.org/perl/ppm/NTLM.ppd

> (it's the same module).

I have now tried again (both) without success.

Result:

C:\temp>ppm install http://www.bribes.org/perl/ppm/NTLM.ppd
ppm install failed: Installing MIME-Base64-3.07 for NTLM would
downgrade MIME::B

ase64 from version 3.0701 to 3.07; use --force to install regardless

C:\temp>ppm install http://www.bribes.org/perl/ppm/Authen-NTLM.ppd

sisyphus

May 21, 2009, 7:38:15 PM5/21/09
On May 22, 9:23 am, svnpttr...@gmail.com wrote:

> C:\temp>ppm installhttp://www.bribes.org/perl/ppm/NTLM.ppd

> ppm install failed: Installing MIME-Base64-3.07 for NTLM would
> downgrade MIME::B
> ase64 from version 3.0701 to 3.07; use --force to install regardless

Just grab a copy of http://www.bribes.org/perl/ppm/NTLM.ppd, rename it
to my_ntlm.ppd, then modify it so that it doesn't want to mess with
MIME::Base64, and then run:

ppm install my_ntlm.ppd

Cheers,
Rob

Jean-Louis MOREL

May 22, 2009, 11:39:26 AM5/22/09
Dans l'article <a1fd599d-76ff-48ad-9e44-
47ab1e...@d25g2000prn.googlegroups.com>, sisyp...@gmail.com a dit...

I removed this false dependency to MIME::Base64 in the ppd file.
I think that ppm is puzzled by the strange version number 3.07_01.

That must work now:

ppm install http://www.bribes.org/perl/ppm/NTLM.ppd

--
J-L.M.
http://www.bribes.org/perl

svnpt...@gmail.com

May 22, 2009, 1:11:35 PM5/22/09
Yes, now it worked :-)
Thank you to both of you (Rob and Jean-Louis) for your help.
/ Sven