Total Beginner

Sandra Pearce

Dec 15, 2000, 1:59:30 PM12/15/00

Any good sites for a total beginner to perl....
I want to create some CGI scripts.

Ed Kulis

Dec 15, 2000, 6:01:45 PM12/15/00

Sandra Pearce wrote:

#
# $Id: FAQ_Perl.References.txt,v 1.1.1.2 2000/10/31 20:26:44 ekulis Exp
ekulis $
# SourceServer: tod.apple.com
# $Source: /home/ekulis/Faq/RCS/FAQ_Perl.References.txt,v $
#
return # never execute documentation

Where can I find Perl documentation?
------------------------------------
Web pages and books are legion.

What some URL's to perl Web pages?
----------------------------------

O'Reilly
--------
O'Reilly maintains a perl web page:
http://www.perl.com/pub

where there is extensive documentation at the link
->Downloads
http://www.perl.com/pub/v/documentation

In addtion to general information on topics such as
Perl Syntax, Subroutines, Regular Expressions, Perl Style Guide

there are also very useful pages for
Perl's Builtin Functions

http://www.perl.com/pub/doc/manual/html/pod/perlfunc.html
and
Perl Modules
http://www.perl.com/pub/doc/manual/html/pod/perlmod.html

You might find it convenient to bookmark the functions and the modules
separately.

PerlDoc
-------
Here's another page with a different organization.
http://www.perldoc.com/

Engelschall
-----------
Here's a site of a perl guru with a very nice splash page:
http://www.engelschall.com/title/

that has a very readable list of Perl Modules at
->Next-> Archive-> PerlDoc
http://www.engelschall.com/ar/perldoc/

What are some books on Perl?
----------------------------
O'Reilly has a number of titles.

Perl 5 Pocket Reference by Vromans
--------------------------------------
A quick reference guide.

Learning Perl by Schwartz and Christiansen
Great tutorial introduction.
Scripts avaliable at:

ftp://ftp.oreilly.com/pub/examples/nutshell/learning_perl

Programming Perl by Wall, Christiansen, and Schwartz
Less a tutorial, more a manual, more complete.
Doesn't contain all the modules you'll find on the web sites.
Scripts available at:

ftp://ftp.oreilly.com/pub/examples/nutshell/programming_perl

Perl Cookbook by Christiansen and Torkington
What ever you need to do in perl someone has probably done it
before!
Scripts available at:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/cookbook -> Examples
ftp://ftp.oreilly.com/published/oreilly/perl/cookbook/

Programming the Perl DBI by Descartes and Bunce
The Perl DBI provides direct communication between perl and
databases
like Oracle, Informix, Ingres, mysql ...

This eliminates the need for sqlplus and provides complete
access
to the database with loops, conditionals, arrays, reports, etc.

Scripts available at:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/perldbi/ -> Examples
ftp://ftp.ora.com/published/oreilly/perl/perldbi/

SuperGumby

Dec 15, 2000, 7:20:30 PM12/15/00

SuperGumby

Dec 15, 2000, 7:26:16 PM12/15/00
OH, and reading this group daily (if only it wasn't quite so busy).

PS Why does it appear perl programmers are so damned obsessed with
oneliners, I'm feeling as if I'm gonna be ostracised for commenting and
structuring,,, maybe I'll know why in a few months :-)

Randal L. Schwartz

Dec 15, 2000, 8:05:45 PM12/15/00

SuperGumby> OH, and reading this group daily (if only it wasn't quite so busy).
SuperGumby> PS Why does it appear perl programmers are so damned obsessed with
SuperGumby> oneliners, I'm feeling as if I'm gonna be ostracised for commenting and
SuperGumby> structuring,,, maybe I'll know why in a few months :-)

Because Perl's so durn easy to use we got time to play around impressing
each other. :)

<mer...@stonehenge.com> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>

Abigail

Dec 17, 2000, 8:15:57 PM12/17/00
On Fri, 15 Dec 2000 18:59:30 -0000, Sandra Pearce (sandy...@ic24.co.uk) wrote in comp.lang.perl.misc <URL: news:<91dpkd$d61$1...@newsg2.svr.pol.co.uk>>:
++ Hi,
++
++ Any good sites for a total beginner to perl....
++ I want to create some CGI scripts.

$ cat > my_first_cgi
#!/opt/perl/bin/perl -wT
use strict;
use CGI;

... details ...

__END__
^D
$ chmod 755 my_first_cgi
$

Just fill in the details and you're done!

Abigail

Lou Moran

Dec 18, 2000, 12:57:13 PM12/18/00
On 18 Dec 2000 01:15:57 GMT, abi...@foad.org (Abigail) wrote
wonderful things about sparkplugs:

--SNIP--

> $ cat > my_first_cgi
> #!/opt/perl/bin/perl -wT
> use strict;
> use CGI;
>
> ... details ...
>
> __END__
> ^D
> $ chmod 755 my_first_cgi
> $
>

>Just fill in the details and you're done

I think this might be evil

>Abigail

lmo...@wtsgSPAM.com
print "\x{263a}"