Sun Microsystems Sponsors Perl Mongers

brian d foy

Apr 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/1/99
SUN MICROSYSTEMS SPONSORS PERL MONGERS

Perl Mongers [1] and Sun Microsytems [2] recently inked
contracts arranging for the California-based hardware
company to sponsor the New York based non-profit to the tune
of a quarter of a million dollars said industry spokesperson
Tim O'Reilly, whose technical book publishing house O'Reilly
& Associates [3] recently purchased all rights to Perl 6,
and will rename it Java 1.3. "These changes had been in the
works for a long." said O'Reilly, "You didn't think JPL
[Java-Perl Lingo] was for Perl's benefit, did you?"

As part of the deal, Perl Mongers will be known as Java
Mongers, and the affiliate groups, whose names typically
ended in ".pm" as a play on the Perl module system, will now
end with ".class", and there will be three versions
of each group meeting, although a member could theoretically
attend any one of them without a problem. Java Mongers is
expected to announce membership licensing and support
contract information shortly. Randal Schwartz [4], a
director of Java Mongers, hailed the re-organization noting
that, despite the private inurement laws, it supports his
soon-to-be released books "Learning Java" and "Learning Java
on NT". He was quick to point out that he has pictures of
the waitresses and of what everyone ate at the business
lunch where the contracts were signed [5]. The executive
director of Java Mongers, brian d foy, replied "did you
check the FAQ?" [6]. Microsoft chairman Bill Gates announced
the formation of Visual JMongers++ soon after the Sun
press release, noting that every Windows user will be required
to attend group meetings.

David Adler, Ruthless Dictator of NY.class and a director of
Java Mongers, gave a resounding Bronx cheer for the move,
hoping that this change to the organization would get him
even more free stuff. Chris Nandor, the original author of
the Boston.pm module announced that he will not be involved
with Java Mongers since Java does not run on the Mac,
despite his book "MacJava: Pain and Frustration". Adam Turoff,
charter member of NY.class and leader of Philly.class, rejoiced
in the triumph of the cathedral-style re-organization as he took
a break from installing NT on his Beowolf cluster.

[1] Java Mongers: http://www.pm.org
[2] Sun Microsystems: http://www.sun.com
[3] O'Reilly & Associates: http://www.oreilly.com
[4] Randal L. Schwartz: http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/
[5] What everyone ate: http://web.stonehenge.com/merlyn/Pictures/
[6] Java Mongers FAQ: http://www.pm.org/faq.shtml

--
brian d foy <http://computerdog.com>
Comprehensive Perl Archive Network (CPAN) <URL:http://www.perl.com>

Adam Turoff

Apr 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/1/99
brian d foy <com...@computerdog.com> wrote:
>SUN MICROSYSTEMS SPONSORS PERL MONGERS
[...]
>David Adler, Ruthless Dictator of NY.class [...]

NY has class??!? I thought it was just a bunch of dancing chiuhuahas.

>Adam Turoff,
>charter member of NY.class and leader of Philly.class, rejoiced
>in the triumph of the cathedral-style re-organization as he took
>a break from installing NT on his Beowolf cluster.

Today is as good a day as any to announce our super secret project:
JPT - J++ POWER TOOLS
Reimplementing DOS Tools in J++ for Brain Damaged
Platforms like Linux, FreeSDB, OpenNet, and SolarisOS.

Packages in the first public technology release:
autoexec.bat.class copy.class command.class config.sys.class
drvspace.class edlin.class exe2bin.class io.sys.class loadhi.class
mem.sys print.class rename.class

To turn your slow, tired Linux workstation into a lean, mean,
high-powered DOS machine, just type

bash % command.class
JPT - Version 8.98.4063

C>autoexec.bat.class

C>prompt $P$G
C:\> logout.class
Bad command or filename

C:\> lo.class
Bad command or filename

C:\> logout
Bad command or filename

C:\> ^D
Bad command or filename

C:\> exit.class
Bad command or filename

C:\> exit

bash %

Z.

Chris Tremblay

Apr 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/1/99
HMMM, what day is today?

David H. Adler

Apr 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/1/99
On 1 Apr 1999 05:33:47 GMT, brian d foy <com...@computerdog.com> wrote:
>SUN MICROSYSTEMS SPONSORS PERL MONGERS
[snip]

>David Adler, Ruthless Dictator of NY.class and a director of

That's "Ruthless *Godless* Dictator", dammit!

--
David H. Adler - <d...@panix.com> - http://www.panix.com/~dha/
Honk if you love Perl! (or strawberries!) - Larry Wall

Jonathan Feinberg

Apr 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/1/99
to David H. Adler
d...@panix.com (David H. Adler) writes:

> On 1 Apr 1999 05:33:47 GMT, brian d foy <com...@computerdog.com> wrote:
> >SUN MICROSYSTEMS SPONSORS PERL MONGERS
> [snip]
>
> >David Adler, Ruthless Dictator of NY.class and a director of
>
> That's "Ruthless *Godless* Dictator", dammit!

Ah, but *who*, exactly, will damn it?

--
Jonathan Feinberg j...@pobox.com Sunny Brooklyn, NY
http://pobox.com/~jdf

Tad McClellan

Apr 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/1/99
brian d foy (com...@computerdog.com) wrote:
: SUN MICROSYSTEMS SPONSORS PERL MONGERS

: Perl Mongers [1] and Sun Microsytems [2] recently inked

: contracts arranging for the California-based hardware
: company to sponsor the New York based non-profit to the tune
: of a quarter of a million dollars

Cool!

Little alligators on Monger T-shirts.

Perl commercials during the Superbowl.

Maybe the Executive Director can even get a new
keyboard with a working shift key and everything?

But,

How can I round that off to two decimal places?

How can I output that number with commas added?

: said industry spokesperson

: Tim O'Reilly, whose technical book publishing house O'Reilly
: & Associates [3] recently purchased all rights to Perl 6,
: and will rename it Java 1.3.

What's the difference between "java" and "Java"?

: "These changes had been in the

: works for a long." said O'Reilly, "You didn't think JPL
: [Java-Perl Lingo] was for Perl's benefit, did you?"

: As part of the deal, Perl Mongers will be known as Java
: Mongers, and the affiliate groups, whose names typically
: ended in ".pm" as a play on the Perl module system, will now
: end with ".class",

Mongers with class?

Bit of a stretch there...

--
Tad McClellan SGML Consulting
ta...@metronet.com Perl programming

David H. Adler

Apr 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/2/99
On 01 Apr 1999 22:36:34 -0500, Jonathan Feinberg <j...@pobox.com> wrote:
>d...@panix.com (David H. Adler) writes:
>
>> On 1 Apr 1999 05:33:47 GMT, brian d foy <com...@computerdog.com> wrote:
>> >SUN MICROSYSTEMS SPONSORS PERL MONGERS
>> [snip]
>>
>> >David Adler, Ruthless Dictator of NY.class and a director of
>>
>> That's "Ruthless *Godless* Dictator", dammit!
>
>Ah, but *who*, exactly, will damn it?

I was wondering who was going to pick up on that... :-)

"I was under medication when I made the decision not to burn the
tapes." - President Richard Nixon

brian d foy

Apr 2, 1999, 3:00:00 AM4/2/99
In article <hq21e7...@magna.metronet.com>, ta...@metronet.com (Tad McClellan) posted:

> Maybe the Executive Director can even get a new
> keyboard with a working shift key and everything?

DONE. THANKS FOR THE NEW KEYBOARD!!!

--
brian d foy
CGI Meta FAQ <URL:http://www.smithrenaud.com/public/CGI_MetaFAQ.html>