$35 billion a yr. electrical industry advised to avoid perl

1 view

Gerald Newton

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
Many electrical sites are getting ready to go online in 2,000 - from online
estimating to online stores. I have received many inquiries about the
internet. Although I am not an expert, I have been on the internet longer
than most of those seeking advice. Many of these sites are attempting to
determine which route to go. Thousand of electrical persons visit the
electrician.com site since it is one of the oldest electrical sites on the
internet and has been featured in several national publications in 1999. I
have posted a story to advise these people to stay away from perl. After
the recent attack and the ridicule received at this newsgroup, I think the
electrical industry is well advised to stay away from perl and to use more
secure packages even if they are much more expensive. Perl is not a viable
practical secure solution.

Abigail

Jan 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/6/00
Gerald Newton (ne...@mosquitonet.com) wrote on MMCCCXX September MCMXCIII
in <URL:news:Mred4.558$i9....@newsfeed.slurp.net>:
[...]

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm sure the entire $35 a year electrical industry
is listening to trolls. Who needs those spark billies anyway?

Now, crawl back into my killfile, and stay there.

Abigail
--
perl -e '* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
/ / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / / /

Uri Guttman

Jan 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/7/00

GN> Many electrical sites are getting ready to go online in 2,000 -
GN> from online estimating to online stores. I have received many
GN> inquiries about the internet. Although I am not an expert, I have
GN> been on the internet longer than most of those seeking advice.
GN> Many of these sites are attempting to determine which route to go.
GN> Thousand of electrical persons visit the electrician.com site
GN> since it is one of the oldest electrical sites on the internet and
GN> has been featured in several national publications in 1999. I
GN> have posted a story to advise these people to stay away from perl.
GN> After the recent attack and the ridicule received at this
GN> newsgroup, I think the electrical industry is well advised to stay
GN> away from perl and to use more secure packages even if they are
GN> much more expensive. Perl is not a viable practical secure
GN> solution.

hey twit,

perl is no more or less secure than the program written in perl. you
used insecure scripts from matt. your choice, your insecurity (in more
ways than one).

you can write insecure software in c which is what your vaunted winblows
and other redmondware is mostly written in. so your electrician friends
who don't build web sites will not know what you are taling about. those
that do build sites will not listen to you. most will not care what a
site is using when they visit it. i doubt any read this group (other
than wacko alaskan ones).

so go away and don't use any more perl. never visit a site where any
perl is used. don't use any networks where perl has been used. don't
type on a keyboard which could be used to create perl programs. don't
breathe the same air that perl hackers (not crackers) breathe.

have the approporiate amount of fun.

uri

--
Uri Guttman --------- u...@sysarch.com ---------- http://www.sysarch.com
SYStems ARCHitecture, Software Engineering, Perl, Internet, UNIX Consulting

Martien Verbruggen

Jan 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/7/00
On Thu, 6 Jan 2000 20:06:32 -0900,
Gerald Newton <ne...@mosquitonet.com> wrote:
> Many electrical sites are getting ready to go online in 2,000 - from online
> estimating to online stores. I have received many inquiries about the
> internet. Although I am not an expert, I have been on the internet longer
> than most of those seeking advice. Many of these sites are attempting to
> determine which route to go. Thousand of electrical persons visit the
> electrician.com site since it is one of the oldest electrical sites on the
> internet and has been featured in several national publications in 1999. I
> have posted a story to advise these people to stay away from perl. After
> the recent attack and the ridicule received at this newsgroup, I think the
> electrical industry is well advised to stay away from perl and to use more
> secure packages even if they are much more expensive. Perl is not a viable
> practical secure solution.

What is this nonsense about 'this newsgroup' and 'the electrical
industry'? You came here, got into a bit of a tiff with a few people.
Someone did something to your (well known to be buggy) BBS, and this
person may very well not be any of the regulars here, and most likely
isn't, and suddenly you start coming up with complete populations that
shouldn't mix with complete other populations.

You sound like Hitler.

And I hope that the mention of this magical word can finally put this
crap to rest. To the people here: Let him be. He's obviously mentally
unstable. Don't react to him anymore. He's had enough reaction. If
necessary, refute his more ludicrous statements, but don't get drawn
into long-winded fight anymore.

mmmkay?

Martien
--
Martien Verbruggen |
Interactive Media Division | In a world without fences, who needs

Kragen Sitaker

Jan 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/7/00
In article <Mred4.558$i9....@newsfeed.slurp.net>,

Gerald Newton <ne...@mosquitonet.com> wrote:
>I have received many inquiries about the
>internet. Although I am not an expert, I have been on the internet longer
>than most of those seeking advice. Many of these sites are attempting to
>determine which route to go. Thousand of electrical persons visit the
>electrician.com site since it is one of the oldest electrical sites on the
>internet and has been featured in several national publications in 1999. I
>have posted a story to advise these people to stay away from perl. After
>the recent attack and the ridicule received at this newsgroup, I think the
>electrical industry is well advised to stay away from perl and to use more
>secure packages even if they are much more expensive. Perl is not a viable
>practical secure solution.

I tried to read the article to see what you had to say. I couldn't
find it on http://www.electrician.com/indexold.html, which is what the
"Articles" link points to. I tried the "Post your Messages at the
BULLETIN BOARD" link; it denied me access because I didn't have a
username and a password.

I'm having a hard time understanding your thesis; as far as I can tell,
you're saying that (a) people on comp.lang.perl.misc ridiculed you;
therefore (b) Perl is insecure, and is also not viable and not
practical. Perhaps there are some logical steps between (a) and (b)
that you could fill in for those as confused as me?

Perl is as insecure as alternating current is dangerous. :)
--
<kra...@pobox.com> Kragen Sitaker <http://www.pobox.com/~kragen/>
The Internet stock bubble didn't burst on 1999-11-08. Hurrah!

Wyzelli

Jan 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/7/00
Gerald Newton <ne...@mosquitonet.com> wrote in message
> [...]

<snip of self important crap>

I've seen four year olds with a better managed case of attention seeking
this!

Wyzelli

Matthew Bafford

Jan 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/7/00
On Fri, 07 Jan 19100 05:33:10 GMT, Martien Verbruggen) was attempting to
recharge the laptop battery by typing:
: You sound like Hitler.

Does that work for new threads, too?

: Martien

--Matthew

Dave Godwin

Jan 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/7/00

"Scratchie" <Agitat...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Personally, I would rate trying to build a reliable, easy-to-maintain
> "active" website without perl at about the same level of futility as
> trying to build a house without electricity.
>
> --Art

Don't waste your time with this guy. It's not as if anyone in the
electrical industry is going to take him seriously either.

Marc Haber

Jan 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/7/00
Scratchie <Agitat...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>You say that, but if he has, in fact, been running an electricians'
>website for several years, there will probably be a lot of people who come
>to him for Internet-related advice.

I agree. That guy is dangerous because of his half-knowledge and the
fact that in his group, he is the one-eyes within the blind who thinks
he's a guru.

Greetings
Marc

Marc Haber | " Questions are the | Mailadresse im Header
Karlsruhe, Germany | Beginning of Wisdom " | Fon: *49 721 966 32 15
Nordisch by Nature | Lt. Worf, TNG "Rightful Heir" | Fax: *49 721 966 31 29

Paul Walker

Jan 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/7/00
On Thu, 6 Jan 2000 20:06:32 -0900, Gerald Newton wrote:

>have posted a story to advise these people to stay away from perl. After
>the recent attack and the ridicule received at this newsgroup, I think the
>electrical industry is well advised to stay away from perl and to use more
>secure packages even if they are much more expensive. Perl is not a viable
>practical secure solution.

I hope your electrical work is better than your knowledge of computer
programming and languages.

--
Paul

Bill Jones

Jan 8, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/8/00
in article Mred4.558$i9....@newsfeed.slurp.net, Gerald Newton at

ne...@mosquitonet.com wrote on 01/07/2000 12:06 AM:

> Many electrical sites are getting ready to go online in 2,000 -

A little late - huh?

What a bunch of crap. I wish this thread would die as well...

-Sneex- :]
Bill Jones * Systems Programmer * http://www.fccj.org/cgi/mail?sneex

('> Running -
//\ Perl, Apache, MySQL, PHP3,
v_/_ Ultra 10, LinuxPPC, BeOS...

Setantae

Jan 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/11/00
On Thu, 6 Jan 2000 20:06:32 -0900, amongst a whole load of other
banal shite, "Gerald Newton" <ne...@mosquitonet.com> wrote:

>have posted a story to advise these people to stay away from perl. After
>the recent attack and the ridicule received at this newsgroup, I think the
>electrical industry is well advised to stay away from perl and to use more
>secure packages even if they are much more expensive. Perl is not a viable
>practical secure solution.

I think this speaks for itself:
http://www.electrician.com/wwwboard/messages/29.html

brian d foy

Jan 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/11/00
In article <387b82b8.14653540@news>, seta...@eidosnet.co.uk (Setantae) posted:

you mean to say after all of that he's not only still using Perl,
but using the same buggy software? gees.

--
brian d foy
CGI Meta FAQ <URL:http://www.smithrenaud.com/public/CGI_MetaFAQ.html>

Sam Holden

Jan 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/11/00
On Tue, 11 Jan 2000 15:09:34 -0500, brian d foy <br...@smithrenaud.com> wrote:
>In article <387b82b8.14653540@news>, seta...@eidosnet.co.uk (Setantae) posted:
>
>> On Thu, 6 Jan 2000 20:06:32 -0900, amongst a whole load of other
>> banal shite, "Gerald Newton" <ne...@mosquitonet.com> wrote:

>> >have posted a story to advise these people to stay away from perl. After
>> >the recent attack and the ridicule received at this newsgroup, I think the
>> >electrical industry is well advised to stay away from perl and to use more
>> >secure packages even if they are much more expensive. Perl is not a viable
>> >practical secure solution.
>> >

>> I think this speaks for itself:
>> http://www.electrician.com/wwwboard/messages/29.html
>
>you mean to say after all of that he's not only still using Perl,
>but using the same buggy software? gees.

No, he's fixed it so that it adds the IP of the poster to the posted message.
That'll make it secure... After all webs servers don't keep that stuff
anyway, and no one can use a proxy...

--
Sam

The very fact that it's possible to write messy programs in Perl is also
what makes it possible to write programs that are cleaner in Perl than
they could ever be in a language that attempts to enforce cleanliness.
--Larry Wall

Martien Verbruggen

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
On Tue, 11 Jan 2000 15:09:34 -0500,
brian d foy <br...@smithrenaud.com> wrote:
> In article <387b82b8.14653540@news>, seta...@eidosnet.co.uk
> (Setantae) posted:
> >
> > I think this speaks for itself:
> > http://www.electrician.com/wwwboard/messages/29.html
>
> you mean to say after all of that he's not only still using Perl,
> but using the same buggy software? gees.

Yes. He's a troll, and a dumb one at that. Did you wonder _why_ he's
attaching the IP address to the message?

Martien
--
Martien Verbruggen |
Interactive Media Division | Failure is not an option. It comes

Nate

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
On 11 Jan 2000 20:30:48 GMT, sho...@pgrad.cs.usyd.edu.au (Sam Holden)
wrote (in part):

>>> I think this speaks for itself:
>>> http://www.electrician.com/wwwboard/messages/29.html
>>
>>you mean to say after all of that he's not only still using Perl,
>>but using the same buggy software? gees.
>

>No, he's fixed it so that it adds the IP of the poster to the posted message.
>That'll make it secure... After all webs servers don't keep that stuff
>anyway, and no one can use a proxy...

Well it worked! Good job guys, he got the message and downloaded the
latest wwwboard and learned about security. (644 permissions maybe?)
Another newbe learns from clpm! Great! (this one was a little thick
headed) I wonder if he's doing backups too, that would be a plus!

So what's the other bugs you are talking about? (for the latest
version that is) I would appreciate knowing so I can add them to the
"fix file" I am trying to put together to post here.

Scott McMahan

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
Gerald Newton (ne...@mosquitonet.com) wrote:
> Although I am not an expert...

Interesting. An industry that has no real online experience is turning
to someone who is not an expert for advice about the Internet, and is
getting a diatribe that blames the newbie mistakes the not-expert is
making on the language that is basically running the Internet.

Whatever else, this is doomed to failure regardless of Perl's
use or not.

Scott

Jonathan Stowe

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
On 12 Jan 2000 06:09:35 GMT Martien Verbruggen wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jan 2000 15:09:34 -0500,
> brian d foy <br...@smithrenaud.com> wrote:
>> In article <387b82b8.14653540@news>, seta...@eidosnet.co.uk
>> (Setantae) posted:
>> >
>> > I think this speaks for itself:
>> > http://www.electrician.com/wwwboard/messages/29.html
>>
>> you mean to say after all of that he's not only still using Perl,
>> but using the same buggy software? gees.
>
> Yes. He's a troll, and a dumb one at that. Did you wonder _why_ he's
> attaching the IP address to the message?

And as someone not a thousand miles from this thread pointed out in that
very message board whats the use when you can use something like
'anonymizer' ....

/J\
--
Jonathan Stowe <j...@gellyfish.com>
<http://www.gellyfish.com>

Gerald Newton

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
Emailed to netxs.net administrator:
Sirs:
A person that goes by several aliases including Nate with IP 207.168.93.168
and email address not...@nowhere.not has repeatedly sabotaged my bb at
electrician.com causing me to change it to a username password protected
bb. This person has congratulated others at the news group
comp.lang.perl.misc and led an overall sabotage effort including malicious
posts at the bb. I am attempting to locate this person so I can formerly
charge him/her with committing federal crimes and refer the facts to the
FBI.
Do you have information as to who this person is. I am contacting you
because your IP is registered as 207.168.93.2
Yours,

Nate wrote in message <387c17fc...@news.netxs.net>...

>>>you mean to say after all of that he's not only still using Perl,
>>>but using the same buggy software? gees.

Sam Holden

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
On Wed, 12 Jan 2000 19:55:48 -0900, Gerald Newton <ne...@mosquitonet.com> wrote:
><!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">
>Why don't you give your email address you chicken shit son of a bitch!
>as to what I am going to do!

More threats. More stupidity. This time threatening someone who seemed
to be trying to actually help you.

You are truly the thickest person I have seen on this newsgroup. And this
is c.l.p.m, there's some pretty good competition, hey topmind...

--
Sam

I for one can hardly wait for that blessed day: 0/1/100. :-)
-- Tom Christiansen in <374b...@cs.colorado.edu>

Paul Walker

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
On Wed, 12 Jan 2000 22:54:43 -0900, Gerald Newton wrote:

>A person that goes by several aliases including Nate with IP 207.168.93.168
>and email address not...@nowhere.not has repeatedly sabotaged my bb at
>electrician.com causing me to change it to a username password protected

I thought you were convinced it was Uri. Since you now appear to have picked
another vict^Wtarget, does Uri get a public apology...?

--
Paul

"I like the whooshing sound [deadlines] make as they fly by."
-- Douglas Adams

Nate

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
On Wed, 12 Jan 2000 06:03:54 GMT, "Nate" not...@nowhere.not wrote (in
part):

>>>you mean to say after all of that he's not only still using Perl,
>>>but using the same buggy software? gees.
>>
>>No, he's fixed it so that it adds the IP of the poster to the posted message.
>>That'll make it secure... After all webs servers don't keep that stuff
>>anyway, and no one can use a proxy...
>>

>Well it worked! Good job guys, he got the message and downloaded the
>latest wwwboard and learned about security. (644 permissions maybe?)
>Another newbe learns from clpm! Great! (this one was a little thick
>headed) I wonder if he's doing backups too, that would be a plus!

To clarify the intent of my message (I didn't know anyone would take
this wrong):

Congradulations to Gerald!

I am pleased to see he is still running WWWBoard. And has taken steps
to prevent another crash by downloading the latest WWWBoard from
Matt's script archive, turned on IP tracking, and learned about
security at his site. (too bad Matt still recommends using 777 for
permissions in his readme file, as I said in previous posts, 644
should suffice and should allow any cgi-bin to access the file without
allowing full access to just about anyone)

As a fellow web site owner, old foogie (not a teenage hacker), and
someone who runs a WWWBoard, I am happy to see his site back.

It seems that he is now happy programming perl, and is back to having
a good time with his site. Good for him!

I am glad we could assist him after his crash. I am glad he learned
something from our posts here at clpm. Good job guys!

Matt's new code still does not do any file locking, so I suggest that
people look over the posts here about locking and see if they can
install those changes (that's not a security problem, it prevents
files from being trashed when two people post at the exact same time,
maybe something like that happened, I know it happened once to my
board). I am working on a help file to assist people in fixing their
boards, so watch here for more information.

I hope people are now doing back-ups of all their messages and the
main page. This should be standard procedure, the ISP's back up tapes
may not always help. I don't think it matters who's board program you
run, backing up is a good idea.

I hope this clears things up. Sorry if this caused any confusion.

Scott McMahan

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
Gerald Newton (ne...@mosquitonet.com) wrote:
> ...you chicken shit son of a bitch!

> You are one sorry bastard and if I ever find you, God has no mercy
> as to what I am going to do!

Does this person represent the electrical industry or some
specific trade union? What is his official position, and
to whom does he report?

Scott

Lee Sharp

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
Nate wrote in message <387dd00...@news.netxs.net>...

|To clarify the intent of my message (I didn't know anyone would take
|this wrong):

No doubt. But you can not please all of the people all of the time.
Even with help and advice, when asked.

|I hope this clears things up. Sorry if this caused any confusion.

You did not amongst those increasingly rare people who possess that
increasingly rare item known as a clue. :-)

Lee

--
SCSI is *NOT* magic. There are *fundamental technical reasons* why it is
necessary to sacrifice a young goat to your SCSI chain now and then. * Black

Bart Lateur

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
Scott McMahan wrote:

>Does this person represent the electrical industry or some
>specific trade union? What is his official position, and
>to whom does he report?

And how comes he ended up in Alaska?

--
Bart.

Simon Cozens

Jan 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/14/00
Scratchie (comp.lang.perl.misc):
>Note that he's apparently turned HTML posting *on* since he first appeared
>here.

It's called a troll.
Do not feed the energy creature.

--
Behind every great computer sits a skinny little geek.

Dan Zetterstrom

Jan 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/14/00
On Thu, 13 Jan 2000 20:23:28 GMT, bart....@skynet.be (Bart Lateur)
wrotc:

Restraining order?

-DZ
--
Tell me your dreams and I will crush them.