Status of Perl for OS/2?

Shmuel Metz

Jun 17, 2013, 12:44:23 PM6/17/13
The perldelta for 5.18 suggests that if nobody is actively working on
Perl for OS/2 then the Perl developers may drop the OS/2 related code.
I'm currently using Perl 5.10; Perl 5.14 had path rewriter issues and
I'm not aware of a more recent build for OS/2. Is anybody in the OS/2
community working on Perl 5.16 or 5.18, and, if so, have they made
themselves known to the Perl developers?

Thanks.

reply to spam...@library.lspace.org

Paul Smedley

Jun 17, 2013, 8:40:22 PM6/17/13
Hi Shmuel,

On 18/06/13 02:14, Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz wrote:
> The perldelta for 5.18 suggests that if nobody is actively working on
> Perl for OS/2 then the Perl developers may drop the OS/2 related code.
> I'm currently using Perl 5.10; Perl 5.14 had path rewriter issues and
> I'm not aware of a more recent build for OS/2. Is anybody in the OS/2
> community working on Perl 5.16 or 5.18, and, if so, have they made
> themselves known to the Perl developers?

http://smedley.id.au/tmp/perl-5.16.3-os2-20130519.zip

KO Myung-Hun

Jun 18, 2013, 7:37:13 AM6/18/13
to Paul Smedley
Hi/2.
This version has corrupted os2ish.h and os2thread.h. They seems to be
just a symbolic link.

--
KO Myung-Hun

Using Mozilla SeaMonkey 2.7.2
Under OS/2 Warp 4 for Korean with FixPak #15
In VirtualBox v4.1.24 on Intel Core i7-3615QM 2.30GHz with 8GB RAM

Korean OS/2 User Community : http://www.ecomstation.co.kr

Marcel Müller

Jun 23, 2013, 12:33:37 PM6/23/13
On 17.06.13 18.44, Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz wrote:
> The perldelta for 5.18 suggests that if nobody is actively working on
> Perl for OS/2 then the Perl developers may drop the OS/2 related code.

I use Perl regularly, but I am also at 5.10.

Marcel

Paul Smedley

Jun 29, 2013, 2:31:06 AM6/29/13
On 18/06/13 21:07, KO Myung-Hun wrote:
> Hi/2.
>
> Paul Smedley wrote:
>> Hi Shmuel,
>>
>> On 18/06/13 02:14, Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz wrote:
>>> The perldelta for 5.18 suggests that if nobody is actively working on
>>> Perl for OS/2 then the Perl developers may drop the OS/2 related code.
>>> I'm currently using Perl 5.10; Perl 5.14 had path rewriter issues and
>>> I'm not aware of a more recent build for OS/2. Is anybody in the OS/2
>>> community working on Perl 5.16 or 5.18, and, if so, have they made
>>> themselves known to the Perl developers?
>>
>> http://smedley.id.au/tmp/perl-5.16.3-os2-20130519.zip
>>

> This version has corrupted os2ish.h and os2thread.h. They seems to be
> just a symbolic link.

I can zip them up for you if you need them - they are probably unchanged
from Perl 5.14 or 5.10 tho

KO Myung-Hun

Jul 1, 2013, 9:45:13 AM7/1/13
to Paul Smedley
It's not just for me. Anyone who tries to compile CPAN modules, will
fails because of this.

It would be better to distribute the fixed build.