Is PERL case sensitive?

Marc Day

Jun 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/4/98

I am writing a PERL script that parses information. I have a problem
in the fact that it will not write the information to the email. I
think my problem may be that I am using a command that uses $FORM in
one part of the script and $Form in another part. Does this matter? Is
this the answer to my three week nightmare????

Thanx in advance

Marc
mn...@keele.ac.uk

Bob Trieger

Jun 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/4/98

[ posted and mailed ]

mn...@keele.ac.uk (Marc Day) wrote:
-> I am writing a PERL script that parses information. I have a problem
-> in the fact that it will not write the information to the email. I
-> think my problem may be that I am using a command that uses $FORM in
-> one part of the script and $Form in another part. Does this matter? Is
-> this the answer to my three week nightmare????

If I just posted the word "yes", it may seem inadequate. So why don't you fix
your script so all of you $F(orm|ORM)s are the same and find out for yourself?

HTH

Bob Trieger
sowm...@juicepigs.com
" Cost a spammer some cash: Call 1-800-239-0341
and hang up when the recording starts. "

Tom Phoenix

Jun 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/4/98

On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, Marc Day wrote:

> I think my problem may be that I am using a command that uses $FORM in

> one part of the script and $Form in another part. Does this matter?

Running this program will tell you. :-)

$answer = "It matters.\n";
$ANSWER = "It doesn't matter.\n";
print $answer;

Hope this helps!

--
Tom Phoenix Perl Training and Hacking Esperanto
Randal Schwartz Case: http://www.rahul.net/jeffrey/ovs/

Tom Christiansen

Jun 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/4/98

In comp.lang.perl.misc, mn...@keele.ac.uk (Marc Day) writes:
:I am writing a PERL script that parses information. I have a problem
:in the fact that it will not write the information to the email. I

:think my problem may be that I am using a command that uses $FORM in

:one part of the script and $Form in another part. Does this matter? Is
:this the answer to my three week nightmare????

% man perldata
..
Case IS significant--"FOO", "Foo", and "foo" are all different names.
Names that start with a letter or underscore may also contain digits
and underscores.

If I had a nickel for each question people ask that they could have read
the man pages to find, I'd be as rich as $Bill.

I suggest you stop Perl programming now and take some time out
to read the perl manpages.

Don't not pass Go.
Do not collect "200 OK" server responses.

These are the essential ones that you should read before continuing:

perl Perl overview
perlfaq Perl frequently asked questions
perldata Perl data structures
perlsyn Perl syntax
perlop Perl operators and precedence
perlre Perl regular expressions
perlrun Perl execution and options
perlfunc Perl builtin functions
perlvar Perl predefined variables
perlsub Perl subroutines

--tom
--
Someone who truly understands UNIX not only understands why "rm *"
screws you, but understands why IT HAS TO BE THAT WAY.

Tom Christiansen

Jun 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/4/98

In comp.lang.perl.misc,
sowm...@juicepigs.com (Bob Trieger) writes:
:If I just posted the word "yes", it may seem inadequate. So why don't you fix

:your script so all of you $F(orm|ORM)s are the same and find out for yourself?

Isn't it weird how people will post something to the net rather than
implementing the most trivial of tests on their own?

--tom
--
/* we have tried to make this normal case as abnormal as possible */
--Larry Wall in cmd.c from the perl source code

Ronald J Kimball

Jun 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/4/98

No, but perl is.

;-)

--
_ / ' _ / - aka - r...@coos.dartmouth.edu
( /)//)//)(//)/( Ronald J Kimball chip...@m-net.arbornet.org

Martien Verbruggen

Jun 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/5/98

Subject: Is PERL case sensitive?

Depends what you mean.

It is perl for the program, Perl for the language. Never PERL.

That is case sensitive. The program perl, and the language Perl are
both case sensitive as well. I don't really know about PERL.

Martien
--
Martien Verbruggen |
Webmaster www.tradingpost.com.au |

Tad McClellan

Jun 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/5/98

Tom Christiansen (tch...@mox.perl.com) wrote:
: [courtesy cc of this posting sent to cited author via email]

: In comp.lang.perl.misc,
: sowm...@juicepigs.com (Bob Trieger) writes:
: :If I just posted the word "yes", it may seem inadequate. So why don't you fix
: :your script so all of you $F(orm|ORM)s are the same and find out for yourself?

: Isn't it weird how people will post something to the net rather than
: implementing the most trivial of tests on their own?

I see those type of post here quite often, and have reflected a bit
on why the might be occuring.

My theory:

Being a thinking person, the new user figures they should probably
check out this foreign society (ie. Usenet) a little before
rushing in with their Question Of The Day.

So they read some of the articles posted periodically to the

news.announce.newusers

newsgroup.

Following one of the suggestions there, they read (ie. lurk)
c.l.p.m for a few days to get the lay of the land.

During that time, they notice that a lot of Pretty Good Programmers
answer questions here, and seem to be rather, uh, enthused about
the Perl FAQs and other free documentation.

They would like to be able to contribute something (as well
as get their QOTD answered), but they just don't know enough
Perl to be able to answer questions yet.

So, when confronted with a question that would take 30 seconds
of editing to answer, they decide to donate 300 seconds (on
average) of *their* time to craft a posting instead.

Perhaps they figure that asking a question yet again is actually
helping to maintain the accuracy of the Perl documentation!

(by ensuring that the "F" part of "FAQ" still applies)

It is all quite commendable really...

--
Tad McClellan SGML Consulting
ta...@metronet.com Perl programming

Mike Stok

Jun 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/5/98

In article <6l7h8k$ms8$3...@comdyn.comdyn.com.au>,
Martien Verbruggen <mg...@comdyn.com.au> wrote:

>It is perl for the program, Perl for the language. Never PERL.

What if I'm being almost conventional when using the acronym for
Pathologically Eclectic Rubbish Lister? Or shouting out BUT I LIKE PERL?

Mike

--
mi...@stok.co.uk | The "`Stok' disclaimers" apply.
http://www.stok.co.uk/~mike/ | PGP fingerprint FE 56 4D 7D 42 1A 4A 9C

John Porter

Jun 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/5/98

Yes, it should be "Perl" or "perl" (depending on metaphysical factors).

John Porter

REUBEN LOGSDON

Jun 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/6/98
to Marc Day

perl is case sensitive, so yeah that might be a problem

Regards,
Reuben Logsdon

On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, Marc Day wrote:

> I am writing a PERL script that parses information. I have a problem
> in the fact that it will not write the information to the email. I
> think my problem may be that I am using a command that uses $FORM in
> one part of the script and $Form in another part. Does this matter? Is
> this the answer to my three week nightmare????

REUBEN LOGSDON

Jun 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/6/98
to Martien Verbruggen

On 5 Jun 1998, Martien Verbruggen wrote:

> Subject: Is PERL case sensitive?
>

> Depends what you mean.

> It is perl for the program, Perl for the language. Never PERL.
>

> That is case sensitive. The program perl, and the language Perl are
> both case sensitive as well. I don't really know about PERL.

PERL is an acroynm for "Practical Extraction and Report Language". It's
common practice to capitalize acronyms.

Regards,
Reuben Logsdon

Larry Rosler

Jun 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/6/98

In article <Pine.BSI.3.96.98060...@pentagon.io.com>,
rlog...@io.com says...

> On 5 Jun 1998, Martien Verbruggen wrote:
>
> > Subject: Is PERL case sensitive?
> >
> > Depends what you mean.
> >
> > It is perl for the program, Perl for the language. Never PERL.
> >
> > That is case sensitive. The program perl, and the language Perl are
> > both case sensitive as well. I don't really know about PERL.
>
> PERL is an acroynm for "Practical Extraction and Report Language". It's
> common practice to capitalize acronyms.
>
> Regards,
> Reuben Logsdon

Not when they achieve currency. For example, BASIC, COBOL and FORTRAN
are now universally Basic, Cobol and Fortran. And if it ever was PERL,
now it's Perl.

--
Larry Rosler
Hewlett-Packard Laboratories

Tom Christiansen

Jun 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/7/98

In comp.lang.perl.misc,
REUBEN LOGSDON <rlog...@io.com> writes:
:PERL is an acroynm for "Practical Extraction and Report Language". It's

:common practice to capitalize acronyms.

You're embarrassing yourself with ignorance of the culture, and
of its history.

--tom
--
"That which does not kill me makes me stranger." --Larry Wall

Craig Berry

Jun 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/7/98

:
: Not when they achieve currency. For example, BASIC, COBOL and FORTRAN
: are now universally Basic, Cobol and Fortran. And if it ever was PERL,
: now it's Perl.

Yes, but poor C and C++ are still entirely uppercase. Blatant
discrimination, if you ask me. :-)

(And yes, I know C isn't an acronym. But also, FORTRAN wasn't an acronym
either, but rather a compression of 'FORmula TRANSlation'. Nor was COBOL,
actually a compression of COmmon Business Oriented Language. So perhaps
'ForTran' and CoBOL would be the proper names.)

--*-- Home Page: http://www.cinenet.net/users/cberry/home.html
| Member of The HTML Writers Guild: http://www.hwg.org/
"Every man and every woman is a star."

Larry Rosler

Jun 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/7/98

In article <6ldfvk$t8b$2...@marina.cinenet.net>, cbe...@cinenet.net says...

> Larry Rosler (l...@hpl.hp.com) wrote:
> : In article <Pine.BSI.3.96.98060...@pentagon.io.com>,
> : rlog...@io.com says...
> : > PERL is an acroynm for "Practical Extraction and Report Language". It's
> : > common practice to capitalize acronyms.
> :
> : Not when they achieve currency. For example, BASIC, COBOL and FORTRAN
> : are now universally Basic, Cobol and Fortran. And if it ever was PERL,
> : now it's Perl.
>
> Yes, but poor C and C++ are still entirely uppercase. Blatant
> discrimination, if you ask me. :-)
>
> (And yes, I know C isn't an acronym. But also, FORTRAN wasn't an acronym
> either, but rather a compression of 'FORmula TRANSlation'. Nor was COBOL,
> actually a compression of COmmon Business Oriented Language. So perhaps
> 'ForTran' and CoBOL would be the proper names.)

ac-ro-nym n. A word formed from the initial letters of a name, such as
WAC for Women's Army Corps, or by combining initial letters or parts of a
series of words, such as *radar* for *ra*dio *d*etection *a*nd *r*anging.

Having rejected C and C++ from my list of examples, I'm now sorry I also
rejected Pascal. We could have had some fun creating a phrase for that
to be an acronym of. I've seen such a formation called a 'retronym' but
that neologism also has other definitions.

Craig Berry

Jun 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/7/98

Larry Rosler (l...@hpl.hp.com) wrote:
: ac-ro-nym n. A word formed from the initial letters of a name, such as
: WAC for Women's Army Corps, or by combining initial letters or parts of a
: series of words, such as *radar* for *ra*dio *d*etection *a*nd *r*anging.

I stand corrected; I thought it had to be initial letters only.

: Having rejected C and C++ from my list of examples, I'm now sorry I also

: rejected Pascal. We could have had some fun creating a phrase for that
: to be an acronym of. I've seen such a formation called a 'retronym' but
: that neologism also has other definitions.

"Planning A System? Consider Another Language." :)

John Porter

Jun 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/8/98

REUBEN LOGSDON wrote:

> On 5 Jun 1998, Martien Verbruggen wrote:
>
> > Subject: Is PERL case sensitive?
> >
> > Depends what you mean.
> >
> > It is perl for the program, Perl for the language. Never PERL.
> >
> > That is case sensitive. The program perl, and the language Perl are
> > both case sensitive as well. I don't really know about PERL.
>
> PERL is an acroynm for "Practical Extraction and Report Language". It's
> common practice to capitalize acronyms.

Hmm, you are correcting Martien?
Maybe you should get your facts straight, then.
One good way to do that is to read "History Made Practical",
p. 554 in the Camel book.

John Porter

Tom Phoenix

Jun 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/8/98

On Sat, 6 Jun 1998, REUBEN LOGSDON wrote:

> PERL is an acroynm for "Practical Extraction and Report Language". It's
> common practice to capitalize acronyms.

You're right, but once the acronym becomes a word (such as laser, scuba,
or zip code) the caps are dropped. Thus the FAQ turns out to be correct
once again. :-)

Craig Berry

Jun 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/8/98

Tom Phoenix (root...@teleport.com) wrote:

: On Sat, 6 Jun 1998, REUBEN LOGSDON wrote:
:
: > PERL is an acroynm for "Practical Extraction and Report Language". It's
: > common practice to capitalize acronyms.
:
: You're right, but once the acronym becomes a word (such as laser, scuba,
: or zip code) the caps are dropped. Thus the FAQ turns out to be correct
: once again. :-)

At this point, shouldn't that be 'faq'? :)

Lloyd Zusman

Jun 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/8/98

Tom Phoenix <root...@teleport.com> writes:

> On Sat, 6 Jun 1998, REUBEN LOGSDON wrote:
>
> > PERL is an acroynm for "Practical Extraction and Report Language". It's
> > common practice to capitalize acronyms.
>
> You're right, but once the acronym becomes a word (such as laser, scuba,
> or zip code) the caps are dropped. Thus the FAQ turns out to be correct
> once again. :-)

At least he's right about how it's a common practice to capitalize
acronyms. As for the part about Perl standing for "Practical
Extraction and Report Language", well, looking at some old (i.e., late
1980's) man pages for Perl gives a somewhat different viewpoint, the
specifics of which we were asked to not tell anyone about ... :)

--
Lloyd Zusman l...@asfast.com
perl -e '$n=170;for($d=2;($d*$d)<=$n;$d+=(1+($d%2))){for($t=0;($n%$d)==0;

Martien Verbruggen

Jun 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/8/98

In article <Pine.BSI.3.96.98060...@pentagon.io.com>,

REUBEN LOGSDON <rlog...@io.com> writes:
> On 5 Jun 1998, Martien Verbruggen wrote:
>
>> That is case sensitive. The program perl, and the language Perl are
>> both case sensitive as well. I don't really know about PERL.
>
> PERL is an acroynm for "Practical Extraction and Report Language". It's
> common practice to capitalize acronyms.

Apart from the other responses you got to this: If you send a cc to
the poster of an article on Usenet, you should mention so in both your
post and the email. It makes it clear to the receiver that this was
not a provate email, but rather a copy of a posted article.

Martien
--
Martien Verbruggen |
Webmaster www.tradingpost.com.au | I took an IQ test and the results were

REUBEN LOGSDON

Jun 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/9/98
to Martien Verbruggen

[ posted & mailed ]

sure no problem

Regards,
Reuben Logsdon

Lasse Hillerøe Petersen

Jun 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/9/98

In article <6lhkfm$lob$1...@marina.cinenet.net>, cbe...@cinenet.net (Craig
Berry) wrote:

>At this point, shouldn't that be 'faq'? :)

No. As capitals are used on Usenet for shouting, and as 'faq' should
always be SHOUTED (or at least spoken with a loud and clear voice), I
think 'FAQ' is right. Same with RTFM! ;-)

-Lasse

ji...@soundimages.co.uk

Jun 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/10/98

Tom Phoenix <root...@teleport.com> writes:

> On Sat, 6 Jun 1998, REUBEN LOGSDON wrote:
>
> > PERL is an acroynm for "Practical Extraction and Report Language". It's
> > common practice to capitalize acronyms.
>
> You're right, but once the acronym becomes a word (such as laser, scuba,
> or zip code) the caps are dropped. Thus the FAQ turns out to be correct
> once again. :-)

Reuben remains correct. Although an acronym becomes a noun through
common usage, which is a beautiful feature of English, it still
retains it's origin as an acronym. This would certainly remain an
entry in any dictionary including Perl as an entry. Thus, using the
form PERL, while seemingly a problem with cultural fanatics, would
remain perfectly resonable. The form Perl may be the accepted and/or
acceptable form of usage but the form PERL is not incorrect or
inaccurate within the acronym context under any circumstance.

Jim Brewer

Tom Christiansen

Jun 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/10/98

In comp.lang.perl.misc, ji...@soundimages.co.uk writes:
:acceptable form of usage but the form PERL is not incorrect or

:inaccurate within the acronym context under any circumstance.

You are assuming that the word is an acronym. But the word
was invented before the supposed acronymic expansion, which
is just revisionist history.

--tom
--
"Many folks want nothing more than to live and let learn." --Larry Wall

John Porter

Jun 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/10/98

ji...@soundimages.co.uk wrote:

> Reuben remains correct. Although an acronym becomes a noun through
> common usage, which is a beautiful feature of English, it still
> retains it's origin as an acronym. This would certainly remain an

What do you know about English?
You put a superfluous apostrophe in "its".

John Porter

John Bokma

Jun 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/10/98

ji...@soundimages.co.uk wrote in article
<u67i9k...@JIMBOSNTSERVER.i-have-a-misconfigured-system-so-shoot-me>...

> Tom Phoenix <root...@teleport.com> writes:
> >
> > On Sat, 6 Jun 1998, REUBEN LOGSDON wrote:
> >
> > > PERL is an acroynm for "Practical Extraction and Report Language".
It's
> > > common practice to capitalize acronyms.
> >
> > You're right, but once the acronym becomes a word (such as laser,
scuba,
> > or zip code) the caps are dropped. Thus the FAQ turns out to be correct
> > once again. :-)
>

> Reuben remains correct. Although an acronym becomes a noun through
> common usage, which is a beautiful feature of English, it still
> retains it's origin as an acronym. This would certainly remain an

> entry in any dictionary including Perl as an entry. Thus, using the
> form PERL, while seemingly a problem with cultural fanatics, would
> remain perfectly resonable. The form Perl may be the accepted and/or

> acceptable form of usage but the form PERL is not incorrect or
> inaccurate within the acronym context under any circumstance.

All-caps are constants, perl is far from constant.

John

C A S T L E A M B E R Software Development (Java/Perl/C/CGI)
http://www.castleamber.com/ jo...@castleamber.com

NEW: http://www.binaries.org/ Guide to Program Binaries & Pictures

ji...@soundimages.co.uk

Jun 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/11/98

Tom Christiansen <tch...@mox.perl.com> writes:

> [courtesy cc of this posting sent to cited author via email]
>
> In comp.lang.perl.misc, ji...@soundimages.co.uk writes:

> :acceptable form of usage but the form PERL is not incorrect or

> :inaccurate within the acronym context under any circumstance.
>

> You are assuming that the word is an acronym. But the word
> was invented before the supposed acronymic expansion, which
> is just revisionist history.

<tognue in cheek>

Well I wish people would stop revising then. From what I have read,
and this is direct from `perldoc perl`, Perl does indeed have the
aforesaid expansion and no mention of this being revisionist history
is made. Terribly sorry, old chap. Obviously, one must not believe
what one reads in the documentation these days. Won't happen again.

Until we meet, unless we don't.
Jim Brewer

ji...@soundimages.co.uk

Jun 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/11/98

John Porter <jdpo...@min.net> writes:

> ji...@soundimages.co.uk wrote:
> >
> > Reuben remains correct. Although an acronym becomes a noun through
> > common usage, which is a beautiful feature of English, it still
> > retains it's origin as an acronym. This would certainly remain an
>

> What do you know about English?
> You put a superfluous apostrophe in "its".

I know without doubt, having read a good number of your posts, that
you have never, ever made a typo. It must be wonderful to be
perfect. In my opinion, the apostrophe is worse than superflous, it's
wrong. Wanting to show ownership of origin by the object of the
sentence, the acronym, I should have used a superflous apostrophe
after the 's', not between the 't' and 's'. Why I would use the
contraction for 'it is' there is truly beyond me. It not easy being
this stupid. Sorry.

Jim Brewer