DELPHI:IDE Display of Text Files

Jack Crowley

Jul 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/7/95
This problem is strange enough to suspect that there's a simple solution.
When displaying text files (e.g. \Windows\Control.ini), the last character
on each line is not displayed.
What should be [Custom Colors]
Becomes [Custom Colors
(without the end bracket)
This is only a display problem ... in the case above, the bracket will
appear if you add a character to the end of the line. This does not occur in
.PAS files. Renaming the file with a PAS extension cures the problem.
I've reviewed the bug files on the Web, and found no similar problem posted.
This leads me to the conclusion that I'm overlooking something trivial.
I've installed the official Borland patches ... no change.
I've tried every (I think) option for the editor environment.
And, as a final resort, I have tried several different Windows setups for
video drivers.
Please post or mail if you've seen the same, or if you have suggestions
beyond the above.

-
Jack

Richard Ranson

Jul 7, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/7/95
In article <3tjl9s$g...@netaxs.com>, jcro...@unix3.netaxs.com (Jack Crowley) says:

> When displaying text files (e.g. \Windows\Control.ini), the last character
>on each line is not displayed.

I have seen the same. In fact you can also see it on .PAS files
if you turn off syntax highlighting. I did talk to Borland about it
and they offered no solution. The attitude seems to be that syntax
highlighting is such a great feature, why would anyone turn it off.
I hadn't thought about the situation you have observed, where you edit
a non-pascal file and therefore the syntax highlighting is turned off
automatically.

Seems like a bug to me.

Regards Richard

Duncan Murdoch

Jul 8, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/8/95
In article <3tjl9s$g...@netaxs.com> jcro...@unix3.netaxs.com (Jack Crowley) writes:

> When displaying text files (e.g. \Windows\Control.ini), the last character
>on each line is not displayed.

>What should be [Custom Colors]
>Becomes [Custom Colors
>(without the end bracket)
>This is only a display problem ...

>Please post or mail if you've seen the same, or if you have suggestions
>beyond the above.

I can reproduce the behaviour if I switch to the Courier, Fixedsys or Terminal
font. When I use "Courier New", things are fine. It looks as though there's
something wrong with the code that measures the size of a line for the old
style fixed fonts, since Courier New is a truetype font. I don't know what
you should do if you like the look of one of those other fonts...

Duncan Murdoch

Richard Ranson

Jul 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM7/10/95

That's quite right. I do use Terminal. The text is all there, because if
you select a line all the characters are visible against the none white
background. It seems that the last characters are being hidden as white
on white.

I choose Terminal not because I like the look of the old fonts, quite
the opposite :), it's because of necessity. None of the other fonts print
properly they launch the Print Manager then wait and wait and .....
So with some help from Borland I found that Terminal is the only font
that prints. Now all my other applications manage to print with true
type fonts but Delphi cannot. Borland says they use the lates True Type
drivers and that I need a new print driver; sounds unlikely to me, but
I will give a try one day. For now I'm stuch with Terminal font.

Best wishes Richard