Searching a database

1 view

Rafe Aldridge

Jun 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/3/97

Does anyone know how to do a partial search on a database text-field.

I have a database containing a field called TestName and I'd like to be
able to offer the user the chance of searching for records using this
field. However, they will want to enter wildcards. e.g. *foo* should find
the first record where TestName contains the phrase foo. Another click and
the next record is found.

I'm sure it's not a difficult thing to do. Unfortunatly, this is my first
Delphi database project (after programming in Delphi since it came out!).

TIA,

Rafe

Kirk B. Spadt

Jun 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/6/97

In article <01bc7025$26700e30$0565a8c0@rafe>,
"Rafe Aldridge" <ra...@oxfordcc.co.uk> wrote:

>Does anyone know how to do a partial search on a database text-field.
>
>I have a database containing a field called TestName and I'd like to be
>able to offer the user the chance of searching for records using this
>field. However, they will want to enter wildcards. e.g. *foo* should find
>the first record where TestName contains the phrase foo. Another click and
>the next record is found.

I briefly reviewed a search engine from Tamarack Associates called Rubicon
some time ago. I was impressed with the speed, flexibility of the search
options, and small size of the index database. The index build is somewhat
slow for large databases (understandably), and an additional field for a
sequence number is required for Paradox detabases. I plan to add a facility
to my applications to provide a better text search, and will probably use
this product. I think it is $99 for a single-user version.

quote from http://www.tamaracka.com/rubicon.htm:

The Rubicon search engine is designed to execute database searches as
quickly as possible with the minimum use of system resources. Search
results are typically returned in under one tenth of a second for local
tables, beating conventional search strategies by a thousand fold.

The Rubicon technology allows the end user of an application to perform
searches for words or phrases using wildcards, to apply And, Or, Not, Near,
and Like logic to the search, and the ability to iteratively narrow or widen
the search without regard to the underlying database or field structure.
Best
of all, the search results are returned faster than a keyed search
regardless of field type or the location of the word or string in the field.

-Kirk

Kirk B. Spadt ksp...@keyware.com
Keyware Systems, Inc.
570 Lindsey Drive (610) 964-9530