*** SRC Modula-3 Release 3.6 ***

Marc Najork

Sep 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/23/96

NEW: SRC Modula-3 release-3.6
-----------------------------

SRC Modula-3 release 3.6 is now available. Downloading and installation
instructions can be found at:

http://www.research.digital.com/SRC/modula-3/html/install-POSIX.html
(Unix platforms)
http://www.research.digital.com/SRC/modula-3/html/install-WIN32.html
(Windows 95 and Windows NT)

release-3.6 differs from release-3.5.3 in a number of ways:

o A number of bugs have been fixed.
o The Windows 95/Windows NT version is much more reliable.
o Trestle on Windows is much improved (but still not perfect).
o There are some new applications, e.g. DeckScape, WebScape, and WebCard.

We have removed the various test releases (test-3.5.4, test-3.5.4-A, and
test-3.5.4-B) from gatekeeper.

release-3.5.3 (the last regular release put up by Bill Kalsow) is still
available, and will continue to be for the forseeable future.

FUTURE RELEASES
---------------

There are two major versions of Modula-3: SRC Modula-3, available at no cost,
and Critical Mass <http://www.cmass.com> Reactor, a commercial product with a
so far undetermined price tag. In essence, Reactor is SRC Modula-3, evolved
one year further.

Bill Kalsow, the principal architect of SRC Modula-3, is now working for
Critical Mass. At this point, there is no further development of the SRC
Modula-3 compiler and the low-level runtime libraries going on at SRC.

There are still a few applications that are either complete, but not part
of release-3.6 (e.g. Juno <http://www.research.digital.com/SRC/juno-2/>), or
under development (e.g. ESC <http://www.research.digital.com/SRC/esc/Esc.html>).
In addition, folks (i.e. Bill) at Critical Mass have fed a good deal of
bug fixes and improvements back into Modula-3. We will continue to fold
these fixes back into SRC Modula-3 (as time permits and warm bodies willing
to it can be found ...). So, there will be minor releases in the future,
but evolution will be slow and largely driven by the outside world.

REACHING US
-----------

We are considering to discontinue m3-re...@pa.dec.com, the contact address
for SRC Modula-3 related questions. Instead, we ask you to post your questions
to comp.lang.modula3. We will make a formal announcement here on the newsgroup
if we indeed decide to shut down m3-request.

- Allan Heydon
- Marc Najork

hey...@pa.dec.com

Sep 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM9/23/96
to comp.lang.modula3.usenet, m3-request

I put the contents of Marc's post in the following web page for easy
reference:

http://www.research.digital.com/SRC/modula-3/html/release36.html

I've tried to update the web pages to account for the new release.
Please send mail to m3-re...@src.dec.com if you see any dangling
links or vestiges of the old 3.5 release.

- Allan

Allan Heydon Digital Equipment Corporation
hey...@pa.dec.com Systems Research Center
(415) 853-2142 130 Lytton Avenue
(415) 853-2104 (FAX) Palo Alto, CA 94301