embedded languages for Standard ML

Norman Ramsey

Jun 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/29/97

I'm working on a moderately complex application written in Standard
ML. The app will be distributed to users who have no experience with
ML, and therefore it is not appropriate simply to present them with a
bunch of ML signatures---I need some other interface to the
application's functionality. It's really to complex, however, for a
standard Unix-like command-line interface, with switches and so
forth.

I think the right path for this application is to have some simple,
imperative, dynamically typed language embedded in ML, so people can
do things like:
s := readSpecification "mips.spec"
generateInterface("mips.h", s, indirect := true, type_name := "Mips")
generateEncodingImplementation("mips-asm.c", s, indirect := true,
type_name := "Mips", name := "mips_asm")
generateAssemblyImplementation("mips-bin.c", s, indirect := true,
type_name := "Mips", name := "mips_bin")
and so on.

For those familiar with Tcl, basically I want the same idea as Tcl,
but for ML instead of C. (I'm not so happy with Tcl as language design,
and for C I think Lua does a better job than Tcl.)

So! Does anybody know of a candidate language for embedding into ML?

Norman
--
Norman Ramsey -- moderator, comp.programming.literate
http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~nr