startup using Lisp

paulgraham

Jul 26, 2005, 10:17:48 AM7/26/05
One of the cooler new web apps I've seen is written in Common Lisp.
Reddit.com. It's an "aggregator" like Slashdot, except the stories
are submitted and ranked by the users. (It's also not just about
technology.)

They haven't quite launched, but I thought letting the Lisp world know
about it would be a good way to get some people to try it out without
fear of huge loads...

Disclosure: this is one of the startups in Y Combinator's Summer
Founders Program. The first to have anything visible online, in fact.
But I didn't force them to use CL; they already liked it.

M Jared Finder

Jul 27, 2005, 12:45:41 AM7/27/05

Seems interesting, but not my type of thing. Too much of what other
people are interested in, and not enough of what *I* am interested in.
I'd find this much more interesting if it used my feedback to decide
what to put on my front page. It would be even more awesome if it
allowed me to adjust its the required relevancy range so that I could
choose to see only completely relevant articles, only somewhat relevant
articles, or event only completely irrelevant articles.

Of course, that requires a lot more data storage. :)

-- MJF

fireblade

Jul 27, 2005, 4:49:30 AM7/27/05

Pretty good , but design should be improved it looks
too fabricated. Also filtering uninterested news should
be added i like few of the news but most very totally
irrelevant to me.

Stefan Scholl

Jul 27, 2005, 5:12:45 AM7/27/05
paulgraham <p...@bugbear.com> wrote:
> One of the cooler new web apps I've seen is written in Common Lisp.
> Reddit.com. It's an "aggregator" like Slashdot, except the stories

Oh, nice.

Apache 1.3.x, mod_lisp, and TBNL.

Randall Randall

Jul 27, 2005, 6:56:17 AM7/27/05
fireblade wrote:

> Pretty good , but design should be improved it looks
> too fabricated. Also filtering uninterested news should
> be added i like few of the news but most very totally
> irrelevant to me.

Just to provide the opposite view: I really like the
clean, simple layout, and wish more sites would follow
it.

--
Randall Randall <ran...@randallsquared.com>

fireblade

Jul 28, 2005, 9:32:35 AM7/28/05
I like the simple layout too, but it still looks to me
too fabricated , i guess something is wrong with the colors.
But just my humble opinion , i'm not an artist .

What i like most in this site , is the little creature
in the upper-left corner . Great Mascot .

Alex Farran

Jul 28, 2005, 11:17:19 AM7/28/05
Looks good. Will there be an RSS feed? All my web browsing starts
with RSS feeds these days.

Artem Baguinski

Jul 28, 2005, 11:21:26 AM7/28/05

he's from future

phanto...@gmail.com

Jul 28, 2005, 5:21:14 PM7/28/05

paulgraham wrote:
> One of the cooler new web apps I've seen is written in Common Lisp.
> Reddit.com. It's an "aggregator" like Slashdot, except the stories
> are submitted and ranked by the users. (It's also not just about
> technology.)

It sounds kinda cool, but how different from digg.com ?

> They haven't quite launched, but I thought letting the Lisp world know
> about it would be a good way to get some people to try it out without
> fear of huge loads...

> Disclosure: this is one of the startups in Y Combinator's Summer
> Founders Program. The first to have anything visible online, in fact.
> But I didn't force them to use CL; they already liked it.

CL is pretty cool indeed, but just out of curiosity is it giving them
any particular advantage here?

steve....@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2005, 3:59:13 AM7/29/05
This is exactly what were working on now. We had a priliminary version
up a few days ago.

Steve

steve....@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2005, 4:09:38 AM7/29/05

phanto...@gmail.com wrote:
> paulgraham wrote:
> > One of the cooler new web apps I've seen is written in Common Lisp.
> > Reddit.com. It's an "aggregator" like Slashdot, except the stories
> > are submitted and ranked by the users. (It's also not just about
> > technology.)
> >
> It sounds kinda cool, but how different from digg.com ?

It's not strictly related to technology news. Hopefully soon we'll be
able get the filtering stuff working so that you'll only see sites
related to ones of marked up in the past. Also, we intend for our pages
to load significantly faster than digg (I shouldn't speak too soon...
filtering takes some horsepower). That being said, digg and reddit are
in the same space.

> > They haven't quite launched, but I thought letting the Lisp world know
> > about it would be a good way to get some people to try it out without
> > fear of huge loads...
>
> > Disclosure: this is one of the startups in Y Combinator's Summer
> > Founders Program. The first to have anything visible online, in fact.
> > But I didn't force them to use CL; they already liked it.
>
> CL is pretty cool indeed, but just out of curiosity is it giving them
> any particular advantage here?

I think so :) I was no Lisp expert when I began this project, but I'm
getting better. Lisp has had its pros and cons, but the pros column is
growing as I learn.

What's nice (other than Lisp itself) is being able to work on the
running code directly -- on both my devel server and the live server.
This sometimes causes version-control issues as my actual source files
don't always reflect what's running on the web server; this, or course,
is not Lisp's fault.

One of the problems I face most often is deciding what way to approach
a problem. Since Lisp basically allows me to do whatever I want, I
spend lots of time trying to find the best strategy (more so than I
would in another language), for better or for worse.

All-in-all, I'm very happy to work on this project in Lisp, if
anything, for all the support I've received from other Lisp hackers.

Steve

Artem Baguinski

Jul 29, 2005, 7:36:38 AM7/29/05
steve....@gmail.com wrote:
> It's not strictly related to technology news. Hopefully soon we'll be
> able get the filtering stuff working so that you'll only see sites
> related to ones of marked up in the past. Also, we intend for our pages
> to load significantly faster than digg (I shouldn't speak too soon...
> filtering takes some horsepower). That being said, digg and reddit are
> in the same space.

sounds like last.fm for news. i'm looking forward. if the personalised
news roll also would be available in some aggregation format, i'd insert
it on my google.com/ig page instead of/next to the google news i have
there now.

in fact, last.fm often doesn't work the last months. may be they should
ditch java and rewrite it in cl.

M Jared Finder

Jul 29, 2005, 11:53:22 AM7/29/05
steve....@gmail.com wrote:
> This is exactly what were working on now. We had a priliminary version
> up a few days ago.

Awesome! How difficult would it be to also implement the relevancy slider?

-- MJF

steve....@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2005, 12:00:06 PM7/29/05

A slider is something we've talked about. Having sites pop on and off
your list would be killer. From what we've seen it's not hard to write,
it's just hard to make fast. But, we'll just have to wait and see...

Stefan Scholl

Jul 30, 2005, 1:31:12 PM7/30/05
On 2005-07-29 10:09:38, steve....@gmail.com wrote:
> Lisp has had its pros and cons,

Some say the cons are Lisp's pros. :-)

Gorbag

Aug 1, 2005, 10:54:50 AM8/1/05

"Stefan Scholl" <ste...@no-spoon.de> wrote in message

> On 2005-07-29 10:09:38, steve....@gmail.com wrote:
> > Lisp has had its pros and cons,
>
> Some say the cons are Lisp's pros. :-)

Nah, convicts don't know the first thing about Lisp.