The Common Lisp Directory turns 1

Marc Battyani

Dec 15, 2006, 11:56:29 AM12/15/06
Today is the first birthday of the Common Lisp Directory!

First I want to thank all the people who have submitted entries to it, with
special thanks to Paolo Amoroso who have submitted the majority of them. So
thanks guys and please go on! :)
As of today the CLD has 1017 entries including 522 libraries/software, 170
documents and 270 people. It also has 794 registered users.

The CLD is here: www.cl-user.net

Some bits of history:
The Common Lisp Directory started as a reaction to the Reddit's failure to
use Common Lisp:
Reddit: Let's rewrite a better one in Common Lisp.
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/msg/c0159fbbc6496def

Then a few days later this evolved into what is now the CLD:
The Common Lisp Directory: Day 1
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/msg/59d6bd23fc21f2f5

It is interesting to notice that one year later, it is still the same Lisp
process that is running. The project has evolved from Linkit to the CLD
without ever quitting the Lisp process. It has never crashed, even though
the application and the CLOS classes have changed a lot of times. In the
same time, I had to restart several times the Apache process and reboot a
lot of time the 3COM firewall router in front of the server.

At the time I'm writing this, after one year and 7 days, the same Lisp
process has served 111 977 267 HTTP requests.

For those interested, here is some information on the Common Lisp Directory
server:

Hardware: 1GB Dual Intel Xeon 2.80GHz Debian box.
Software: Apache+mod_lisp+Lispworks 4.4.6
111 977 267 HTTP requests served by the same Lisp process with a max at 930K
requests/day.

When I find some spare time, I will open the CLD to modifications by anybody
but still with a validation process to avoid spam.
Improving the CLD usability would also be a good thing but I'm not a
designer so alternative designs and/or styles are welcomed.
Any other suggestions?

Marc

Xavier Cabal

Dec 15, 2006, 1:11:58 PM12/15/06
Marc Battyani wrote:
> Today is the first birthday of the Common Lisp Directory!

Many happy returns, and thank you (and all contributors) for a most useful
resource.

> It is interesting to notice that one year later, it is still the same Lisp
> process that is running. The project has evolved from Linkit to the CLD
> without ever quitting the Lisp process.

Awesome!

> 111 977 267 HTTP requests served by the same Lisp process with a max at
> 930K requests/day.

I would not have thought there would be so much interest in a common lisp
resource, it is nice to see that there is. Can you say how many visitors
this represents? Is it mostly your ~800 registered users being very busy,
or are there lots of unregistered lurkers (like me) that use the directory.

Marc Battyani

Dec 15, 2006, 2:11:46 PM12/15/06

"Xavier Cabal" <xv...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote
> Marc Battyani wrote:

>> 111 977 267 HTTP requests served by the same Lisp process with a max at
>> 930K requests/day.
>
> I would not have thought there would be so much interest in a common lisp
> resource, it is nice to see that there is. Can you say how many visitors
> this represents? Is it mostly your ~800 registered users being very busy,
> or are there lots of unregistered lurkers (like me) that use the
> directory.

There are a lot of people coming from google. Generally they look at one
page or two then leave.
There are also the hits from the search engines (google, yahoo, msn, etc.)

As to the huge number of request, here are some explanation about why so
many hits:
As some of you already know, my framework is intended for complex real time
collaborative applications and for that there is a 5 seconds Ajax like keep
alive/bidirectional connection. In the case of a public application like the
cl-directory this continuous connection is not useful but induces a lots of
hits. For now, I've reduced the connection frequency to 5 seconds and I will
suppress it completely for all the non interactive pages in the future.

Marc

Dmitry V. Gorbatovsky

Dec 15, 2006, 3:41:43 PM12/15/06
Marc Battyani wrote:

Figures sounds very impressive.
You help even by publishing this details,
not mention the rest of CDL. :)
Thanks you.

With Congratulations,
Dmitry