Hacking Gig for a Mathematically and/or Multi-Agent Sim-Inclined Lisper

Jeff Shrager

Jan 29, 2011, 1:57:13 AM1/29/11
I have some consulting money to lavish upon a lisper with some
experience in multi-agent simulation, or, if not direct experience in
said area, a bit of a mathematical leaning and an interest in doing a
little multi-agent simulation. The most important Lisp skill will be
cleverness in optimization, as multi-agent sims can burn cycles! I
expect the project to require a couple of hundred hours of hacking
over the period of a few months, and pays $40-80/hour depending upon
your level of experience. (The project, if successful, is likely to
result in co-authored academic publications, if that turns you on at
all.) To apply, send a description of a project you have worked on
along these lines (including code samples, if possible), to my
ACADEMIC email address [NOT my gmail address]. (Consider it a
quiz! :-)

WJ

Jan 29, 2011, 6:29:26 PM1/29/11
Jeff Shrager wrote:

Let's use Clojure to decode this message.

(use '[clojure.string :only (lower-case)])

(def *string* (lower-case "

quiz! :-)" ))

(let [ raw-words (re-seq #"[a-z]+(?:-[a-z]+)?" *string*)
long-words (remove (fn[s]
(or (< (count s) 2) (= s "the"))) raw-words)
words (distinct (filter
#(re-find #"[uoxp](?!.*[vmhfzyb])" %)
long-words))
]
(prn (map (fn[_](rand-nth words)) (range 9)))
)

("multi-agent" "project" "expect" "to" "burn" "couple" "hundred"
"lisp" "publications")

Marco Antoniotti

Jan 30, 2011, 5:19:22 AM1/30/11

Well, at least it looks like there will be something to burn :)

Cheers
--
Marco

WJ

Jan 30, 2011, 1:15:38 PM1/30/11
WJ wrote:

> Jeff Shrager wrote:
>
> > I have some consulting money to lavish upon a lisper with some
> > experience in multi-agent simulation, or, if not direct experience
> > in said area, a bit of a mathematical leaning and an interest in
> > doing a little multi-agent simulation. The most important Lisp
> > skill will be cleverness in optimization, as multi-agent sims can
> > burn cycles! I expect the project to require a couple of hundred
> > hours of hacking over the period of a few months, and pays
> > $40-80/hour depending upon your level of experience. (The project,
> > if successful, is likely to result in co-authored academic
> > publications, if that turns you on at all.) To apply, send a
> > description of a project you have worked on along these lines
> > (including code samples, if possible), to my ACADEMIC email address
> > [NOT my gmail address]. (Consider it a quiz! :-)
>
> Let's use Clojure to decode this message.
>

> (use '[clojure.string :only (lower-case)])
>

> (def string (lower-case "

> I have some consulting money to lavish upon a lisper with some
> experience in multi-agent simulation, or, if not direct experience in
> said area, a bit of a mathematical leaning and an interest in doing a
> little multi-agent simulation. The most important Lisp skill will be
> cleverness in optimization, as multi-agent sims can burn cycles! I
> expect the project to require a couple of hundred hours of hacking
> over the period of a few months, and pays $40-80/hour depending upon
> your level of experience. (The project, if successful, is likely to
> result in co-authored academic publications, if that turns you on at
> all.) To apply, send a description of a project you have worked on
> along these lines (including code samples, if possible), to my
> ACADEMIC email address [NOT my gmail address]. (Consider it a
> quiz! :-)" ))
>

> (let [ raw-words (re-seq #"[a-z]+(?:-[a-z]+)?" string)

> long-words (remove (fn[s]
> (or (< (count s) 2) (= s "the"))) raw-words)
> words (distinct (filter
> #(re-find #"[uoxp](?!.*[vmhfzyb])" %)
> long-words))
> ]
> (prn (map (fn[_](rand-nth words)) (range 9)))
> )
>
> ("multi-agent" "project" "expect" "to" "burn" "couple" "hundred"
> "lisp" "publications")

(let [ all-words (re-seq #"[a-z]+(?:-[a-z]+)?" *string*)
long-words (remove #{"a" "an" "as" "the" "and" "of" "my"
"not" "or" "on" "if" "i"} all-words)
words (distinct (filter
#(re-find #"[uoxp](?!.*[kvmhfzybq])" %)
long-words))
words (remove #(re-find #"(ng|er|o.|u.|[ls]t|[er]s|[cdr]e)$" %)
words)
]
(prn (take 9 (sort-by (fn[_](rand)) words))))

Tim Bradshaw

Jan 30, 2011, 2:31:55 PM1/30/11
On 2011-01-30 18:15:38 +0000, WJ said:

> (let [ all-words (re-seq #"[a-z]+(?:-[a-z]+)?" *string*)
> long-words (remove #{"a" "an" "as" "the" "and" "of" "my"
> "not" "or" "on" "if" "i"} all-words)
> words (distinct (filter
> #(re-find #"[uoxp](?!.*[kvmhfzybq])" %)
> long-words))
> words (remove #(re-find #"(ng|er|o.|u.|[ls]t|[er]s|[cdr]e)$" %)
> words)
> ]
> (prn (take 9 (sort-by (fn[_](rand)) words))))

Come back Perl, all is forgiven.

Marco Antoniotti

Jan 31, 2011, 4:59:22 AM1/31/11

Wow! Your self-esteem must be through the roof! :)

Cheers
--
Marco

Jeff Shrager

Jan 31, 2011, 3:40:45 PM1/31/11
> Let's use Clojure to decode this message.

How about a few short words: WTF?

Anyway, folks can stop send in applications for this; I haven't
actually got someone on the job yet, but I have tens of applications
to analyze (now THAT would make a very useful app!) Thanks, all who
responded. It nice to know that there are actually still a lot of
lispers in the world...although most of them outside the US,
unfortunately (because the money I have is restricted to paying US
citizens or organizations).