Another Lisp logo

Edi Weitz

Nov 9, 2005, 12:25:13 PM11/9/05
I asked a friend of mine, Manfred Spiller,[1] who is a professional
graphic designer, if he'd like to create a Lisp logo and this is what
he came up with:

<http://www.normal-null.de/lisp_logo.html>

I think it's very nice and as you can see you are free to use it for
whatever purpose.

BTW, doesn't "lizard" sound a bit like "Lisp?" Maybe someone has an
idea how one could name the little sucker...

Cheers,
Edi.

[1] Here is the website of his company:

<http://www.normal-null.de/>

Manfred also did the graphical design for the Jazz website I'm
maintaining:

<http://marcusmiller.com/>

--

Lisp is not dead, it just smells funny.

Real email: (replace (subseq "spam...@agharta.de" 5) "edi")

Arthur Lemmens

Nov 9, 2005, 12:57:28 PM11/9/05
> <http://www.normal-null.de/lisp_logo.html>
>
> I think it's very nice and as you can see you are free to use it for
> whatever purpose.

Great! That's the winner so far. Reminds me of Escher, which is a pretty
good association for Lisp, I think.

Bulent Murtezaoglu

Nov 9, 2005, 1:05:57 PM11/9/05

>> <http://www.normal-null.de/lisp_logo.html>
>>
>> I think it's very nice and as you can see you are free to use
>> it for whatever purpose.

AL> Great! That's the winner so far. Reminds me of Escher, which
AL> is a pretty good association for Lisp, I think.

I liked them all (including KMP's). I did something else
though, and asked a client. He was amazed that we'd wish to
advertise/disclose something that's giving us an immense competitive
edge! Perhaps there's that dimension to consider also?

cheers,

BM

Edi Weitz

Nov 9, 2005, 1:14:49 PM11/9/05
On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 20:05:57 +0200, Bulent Murtezaoglu <b...@acm.org> wrote:

> I did something else though, and asked a client. He was amazed that
> we'd wish to advertise/disclose something that's giving us an
> immense competitive edge! Perhaps there's that dimension to
> consider also?

Even with a couple of nice logos and some grass-roots advertisement
99.9% of the unwashed masses won't get it. I don't think what we're
doing is really dangerous... :)

Cheers,
Edi.

Steven E. Harris

Nov 9, 2005, 1:18:50 PM11/9/05
Edi Weitz <spam...@agharta.de> writes:

> BTW, doesn't "lizard" sound a bit like "Lisp?"

Maybe I'm just projecting, but is the protruding tongue meant to be a
lambda glyph?

--
Steven E. Harris

Thomas A. Russ

Nov 9, 2005, 1:34:37 PM11/9/05
Edi Weitz <spam...@agharta.de> writes:

> I asked a friend of mine, Manfred Spiller,[1] who is a professional
> graphic designer, if he'd like to create a Lisp logo and this is what
> he came up with:
>
> <http://www.normal-null.de/lisp_logo.html>
>
> I think it's very nice and as you can see you are free to use it for
> whatever purpose.

Very nice.

I notice that the web page suggests attributing the logo to the creator,
but I didn't see any identification of him on that page. I guess you
can get it through the "Impressum" link at the bottom, but adding Herrn
Spiller's name to the text would be a good idea.

--
Thomas A. Russ, USC/Information Sciences Institute

Marco Antoniotti

Nov 9, 2005, 1:41:17 PM11/9/05
It is nice.

However, I always tought of what animal should be associated with
(Common) Lisp. The color of the CLTL2 always made me think of a
dolphin. How about changing the lizard to a dolphin?

Cheers
--
marco

Edi Weitz

Nov 9, 2005, 1:59:37 PM11/9/05
On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 13:41:17 -0500, Marco Antoniotti <mar...@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:

> How about changing the lizard to a dolphin?

Yeah, I think the license allows you to do that. Let us know when
you're done... :)

Cheers,
Edi.

Marco Antoniotti

Nov 9, 2005, 2:27:19 PM11/9/05

Edi Weitz wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 13:41:17 -0500, Marco Antoniotti <mar...@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:
>

>>How about changing the lizard to a dolphin?
>

> Yeah, I think the license allows you to do that. Let us know when
> you're done... :)

You are assuming that I am not a lazy bastard :)

Cheers
--
marco

Message has been deleted

Mark Carter

Nov 9, 2005, 3:16:04 PM11/9/05
Marco Antoniotti wrote:
> How about changing the lizard to a dolphin?

Dolphins are already taken by Smalltalk:
http://www.object-arts.com/Home.htm

Marco Antoniotti

Nov 9, 2005, 4:00:43 PM11/9/05
Well, also "object orientedness" :) Why can't we steal it? :)
BTW. Also MySQL uses the dolphin.

Cheers
--
Marco

Blaino

Nov 9, 2005, 4:22:08 PM11/9/05
When I took my first look at your friend's design I thought chameleon
as opposed to lizard, and Lisp is a chameleon:
http://www.paulgraham.com/chameleon.html.

So, love it.

Thanks.

John Thingstad

Nov 9, 2005, 5:16:40 PM11/9/05
On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 18:25:13 +0100, Edi Weitz <spam...@agharta.de> wrote:

> I asked a friend of mine, Manfred Spiller,[1] who is a professional
> graphic designer, if he'd like to create a Lisp logo and this is what
> he came up with:
>
> <http://www.normal-null.de/lisp_logo.html>
>
> I think it's very nice and as you can see you are free to use it for
> whatever purpose.
>
> BTW, doesn't "lizard" sound a bit like "Lisp?" Maybe someone has an
> idea how one could name the little sucker...
>
> Cheers,
> Edi.
>
> [1] Here is the website of his company:
>
> <http://www.normal-null.de/>
>
> Manfred also did the graphical design for the Jazz website I'm
> maintaining:
>
> <http://marcusmiller.com/>

Not quite sure about that reptile.
A ancient creature, slow and generally considered ugly..
Kinda like many people see lisp :)

Peter Seibel

Nov 9, 2005, 5:19:09 PM11/9/05
"John Thingstad" <john.th...@chello.no> writes:

Hmmm. Most lizards I've run into have been speedy little buggers
running up and down walls and stuff. We're not talking iguanas here.

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel * pe...@gigamonkeys.com
Practical Common Lisp * http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/

Peter Seibel

Nov 9, 2005, 5:20:15 PM11/9/05
Edi Weitz <spam...@agharta.de> writes:

> I asked a friend of mine, Manfred Spiller,[1] who is a professional
> graphic designer, if he'd like to create a Lisp logo and this is what
> he came up with:
>
> <http://www.normal-null.de/lisp_logo.html>
>
> I think it's very nice and as you can see you are free to use it for
> whatever purpose.

Nice. Any chance he'll put up whatever the "source" form of the images
is so folks can resize, etc. without loss of quality.

Edi Weitz

Nov 9, 2005, 5:25:55 PM11/9/05
On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 22:20:15 GMT, Peter Seibel <pe...@gigamonkeys.com> wrote:

> Nice. Any chance he'll put up whatever the "source" form of the
> images is so folks can resize, etc. without loss of quality.

I'll ask him.

Harald Hanche-Olsen

Nov 9, 2005, 5:36:38 PM11/9/05
+ Edi Weitz <spam...@agharta.de>:

| On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 22:20:15 GMT, Peter Seibel <pe...@gigamonkeys.com> wrote:
|
|> Nice. Any chance he'll put up whatever the "source" form of the
|> images is so folks can resize, etc. without loss of quality.
|
| I'll ask him.

PDF should be sufficient. The original may be Adobe Illustrator or
something, and you don't need that unless you plan to change the
design.

--
* Harald Hanche-Olsen <URL:http://www.math.ntnu.no/~hanche/>
- Debating gives most of us much more psychological satisfaction

Ulrich Hobelmann

Nov 9, 2005, 5:58:14 PM11/9/05
Marco Antoniotti wrote:
> Well, also "object orientedness" :) Why can't we steal it? :)
> BTW. Also MySQL uses the dolphin.

Hm, dolphins are only the second most intelligent lifeform on earth (so
it's inappropriate that MySQL use them, oh well).

What about using mice?
(squeak uses one, but still...)

--
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

David Wallin

Nov 9, 2005, 6:51:17 PM11/9/05
Very nice! Any chance of an SVG version? ... or any other scalable
format.

cheers,

--david.

Olivier Drolet

Nov 9, 2005, 9:57:07 PM11/9/05
Marco Antoniotti wrote:
> It is nice.
>
> However, I always tought of what animal should be associated with
> (Common) Lisp. The color of the CLTL2 always made me think of a
> dolphin. How about changing the lizard to a dolphin?

I've alway's associated the ant, and the colonies they form, with of
one of Lisp's strong suits, i.e., bottom-up programming. It also evokes
Escherian images of recursion/plane-tiling/self-similarity. I just
don't know how you'd fit in the "lambda" as convincingly as the forked
tongue in the proposed logo. Someone noted the yin-yang as
representative of recursion, but I find a Sierpinsly triangle, or even
a tree, would be more convincing in this respect, although it would no
doubt complicate the logo.

Otherwise, not a bad logo. :-)

Olivier

Sylvain

Nov 9, 2005, 10:59:19 PM11/9/05

These logos look good, but I was wondering; why would you
want to advertise the underlying technology behind a given
(i.e., proprietary) product? I mean, I understand the
prozelytist aspect of it all, let's spread the good word
and all that, but if using a given technology such as lisp
as a means of getting ahead of the competition (I read
Paul Graham's essays), why tell the whole world how you
did it? If I ever get a successful product or web site or
whatever using lisp I reckon I would instead lie through my
teeth about how it works, i.e., I would rather mislead them
deliberately by putting logos of the latest fad of the day,
C++## on rails, may be not, it is soooo last week, or intel
inside, pretend it runs on microsoft, or whatever...

I like the lizard though :-)

--Sylvain

Pisin Bootvong

Nov 9, 2005, 11:57:58 PM11/9/05
I was thinking of something more like, say, Tree, A Cell, or DNA.

Anything that grows.

Lisp was emphasized on being a programmable programming language or the
language that can grow to its user's expectation.

So something like an Ameoba would be nice.

But Lizard can also adapt to its user's environment, so I guess it fits
nice, too.

Nice Logo!!!

Michael J. Forster

Nov 10, 2005, 12:39:34 AM11/10/05
Peter Seibel wrote:
[...]

> Hmmm. Most lizards I've run into have been speedy little buggers
> running up and down walls and stuff. We're not talking iguanas here.
>
> -Peter

Nope. Reptiles look tough, and the big ones can eat you, but few
reptilian species will survive the climatic changes we're accelerating.
Cockroaches on the other hand... ;-)

-Mike

Pisin Bootvong

Nov 10, 2005, 2:34:46 AM11/10/05

That makes sense!!!

Having survived 50 years, Lisp is Cockroach!!!!

Message has been deleted

Sylvain

Nov 10, 2005, 2:54:01 AM11/10/05
Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
> we would be richer, therefore we would attrack more chicks.

makes perfect sense now, will put the logo in the ol' web page :-)

--Sylvain

Edi Weitz

Nov 10, 2005, 4:11:07 AM11/10/05
On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 22:20:15 GMT, Peter Seibel <pe...@gigamonkeys.com> wrote:

> Nice. Any chance he'll put up whatever the "source" form of the
> images is so folks can resize, etc. without loss of quality.

I asked him and he'd rather not - like most graphical artists he fears
that the result of "amateurs" messing with the picture won't look
good... :)

He said that if someone has specific wishes w.r.t. to the logo (like
size, text, color, ...) they should email (null at normal-null dot de)
him, though, and he'll see what he can do.

Cheers,
Edi.

PS: BTW, he'll soon upload a slightly modified version of the logo
which gets rid of the little "staircases" Photoshop introduced.
So, if you have downloaded one of the pictures already then update
them tomorrow or next week or so.

Alain Picard

Nov 10, 2005, 2:55:08 AM11/10/05
"Pisin Bootvong" <joesb...@gmail.com> writes:

> I was thinking of something more like, say, Tree, A Cell, or DNA.
>
> Anything that grows.

A "Big Ball of Mud (TM)".

Anybody know how to make _that_ look pretty? :-)

Emre Sevinc

Nov 10, 2005, 6:09:52 AM11/10/05

EW> I asked a friend of mine, Manfred Spiller,[1] who is a
EW> professional graphic designer, if he'd like to create a Lisp
EW> logo and this is what he came up with:

EW> <http://www.normal-null.de/lisp_logo.html>

Lovely! Definitely has a certain artistic appeal.
It also reminded me of Komodo IDE by ActiveState

http://www.activestate.com/Products/Komodo/

Yes, I can see that the logo is different, but I vaguely
remember some kind of lizard somewhere in ActiveState!
(or maybe I'm totally confused).

EW> I think it's very nice and as you can see you are free to use
EW> it for whatever purpose.

Small versions really do look nice.

I also like the ones by Conrad Barski:

http://www.lisperati.com/logo.html

EW> BTW, doesn't "lizard" sound a bit like "Lisp?" Maybe someone
EW> has an idea how one could name the little sucker...

EW> Cheers, Edi.

EW> [1] Here is the website of his company:

EW> <http://www.normal-null.de/>

EW> Manfred also did the graphical design for the Jazz website
EW> I'm maintaining:

EW> <http://marcusmiller.com/>

Sometimes I wonder what Frank Zappa would say about Lisp...

BTW, maybe you can persuade Mr. Miller to make a funky
piece about Lisp? ;-) (Or should we use Common Music
to cook some melody and send him so that he can improvise
on that? :)

--
Emre Sevinc

eMBA Software Developer Actively engaged in:
http:www.bilgi.edu.tr http://ileriseviye.org
http://www.bilgi.edu.tr http://fazlamesai.net
Cognitive Science Student http://cazci.com
http://www.cogsci.boun.edu.tr

Emre Sevinc

Nov 10, 2005, 6:14:12 AM11/10/05

Steven> Edi Weitz <spam...@agharta.de> writes:
>> BTW, doesn't "lizard" sound a bit like "Lisp?"

Steven> Maybe I'm just projecting, but is the protruding tongue
Steven> meant to be a lambda glyph?

I see dead languages everywhere. Lizards in my dreams
Escher in my fantasies, Lisp in my spare time...

Edi Weitz

Nov 10, 2005, 6:25:22 AM11/10/05
On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 10:18:50 -0800, "Steven E. Harris" <s...@panix.com> wrote:

> Maybe I'm just projecting, but is the protruding tongue meant to be
> a lambda glyph?

According to the artist it is.

Emre Sevinc

Nov 10, 2005, 6:28:53 AM11/10/05

>>> <http://www.normal-null.de/lisp_logo.html>

>>> I think it's very nice and as you can see you are free to use

>>> it for whatever purpose.

AL> Great! That's the winner so far. Reminds me of Escher, which
AL> is a pretty good association for Lisp, I think.

BM> I liked them all (including KMP's). I did something else
BM> though, and asked a client. He was amazed that we'd wish to
BM> advertise/disclose something that's giving us an immense
BM> competitive edge! Perhaps there's that dimension to consider
BM> also?

Let's tell people the truth, they won't believe it anyway.

Bernd.Sch...@gmx.net

Nov 10, 2005, 9:02:41 AM11/10/05
I've added this one to the wiki
http://wikihost.org/wikis/lisplogogreate/
mentioning Manfred Spiller and his url

Ciao,
Bernd

Christian Lynbech

Nov 10, 2005, 11:18:28 AM11/10/05

Marco> Edi Weitz wrote:

>> On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 13:41:17 -0500, Marco Antoniotti <mar...@cs.nyu.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> How about changing the lizard to a dolphin?

>> Yeah, I think the license allows you to do that. Let us know when
>> you're done... :)

Marco> You are assuming that I am not a lazy bastard :)

Please learn how to spell or use a spell-checker before posting on
usenet.

It is "lizard" not "lazy".

;-)

Christian Lynbech | christian #\@ defun #\. dk
- pet...@hal.com (Michael A. Petonic)

Christian Lynbech

Nov 10, 2005, 11:25:08 AM11/10/05

Ulrich> Marco Antoniotti wrote:
>> Well, also "object orientedness" :) Why can't we steal it? :)
>> BTW. Also MySQL uses the dolphin.

Ulrich> Hm, dolphins are only the second most intelligent lifeform on earth (so
Ulrich> it's inappropriate that MySQL use them, oh well).

Dolphins are still way ahead of the Java crowd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pithecanthropus_erectus

:-) :-)

Aimo K. Vastaranta

Nov 10, 2005, 12:13:53 PM11/10/05
Michael J. Forster <mi...@sharedlogic.ca> wrote:

> Nope. Reptiles look tough, and the big ones can eat you, but few
> reptilian species will survive the climatic changes we're accelerating.
> Cockroaches on the other hand... ;-)

Yikes! Now that I look at a picture of a beetle I
can only see little lambda necks sticking from a
large parentheses surrounded lambda:

http://www.bio.umass.edu/biology/kunkel/Diplopterinae.html

,,,
(,-<)C<
ดดด

Kiiski.

Edi Weitz

Nov 10, 2005, 3:18:24 PM11/10/05
Now also available in glossy:

<http://www.normal-null.de/lisp_logo.html>

matteo d'addio 81

Nov 10, 2005, 3:31:28 PM11/10/05

Edi Weitz ha scritto:

> Now also available in glossy:
>
> <http://www.normal-null.de/lisp_logo.html>

This is the best lisp logo I ever seen!

Sam Steingold

Nov 10, 2005, 3:37:41 PM11/10/05
> * Edi Weitz <fcnz...@ntunegn.qr> [2005-11-10 21:18:24 +0100]:
>
> <http://www.normal-null.de/lisp_logo.html>

the tongue would be much more obviously a lambda if the logo were rotated by pi.

http://www.dhimmi.com/ http://pmw.org.il/ http://www.jihadwatch.org/
http://www.palestinefacts.org/ http://www.honestreporting.com
A man paints with his brains and not with his hands.

Cruise Director

Nov 10, 2005, 7:19:17 PM11/10/05

Olivier Drolet wrote:

> I've alway's associated the ant, and the colonies they form, with of
> one of Lisp's strong suits, i.e., bottom-up programming. It also evokes
> Escherian images of recursion/plane-tiling/self-similarity. I just
> don't know how you'd fit in the "lambda" as convincingly as the forked
> tongue in the proposed logo.

Apache Ant is already an extremely well known computer technology.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every

Cruise Director

Nov 10, 2005, 7:26:33 PM11/10/05

Well, if a business model of secrecy actually works for you, and you're
personally rolling in the dough because of it, great. That's not
everybody's business model or problem domain however. I tend to see
the world in terms of "what open source can do for me," even though the
past 2 years has shown that to be misguided in some respects.
Nevertheless, it's important to develop enough critical mass for a
language that clients can take you seriously. That means getting open
source developers behind the language; otherwise they put all that work
into things like Python.

If Lisp actually provides stellar competitive advantages for your
problem domain, great. I find that for Windows game development, I'm
always running up against issues of inferior tools and library support.
Lisp simply doesn't look as stellar here, and I think the advantages
of using an advanced HLL may have longer term rather than short term
advantages. So either I need to help solve the chicken-and-egg
problem, or give up. The other route is a hardcore version of what you
advocate: write my own language in ASM and don't tell anyone about it
until I'm rich.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every
Taking risk where others will not.

Cruise Director

Nov 10, 2005, 7:29:24 PM11/10/05

Blaino wrote:
> When I took my first look at your friend's design I thought chameleon
> as opposed to lizard, and Lisp is a chameleon:
> http://www.paulgraham.com/chameleon.html.
>
> So, love it.

Assuming you did want to design a chameleon logo: chamelons have
colors. The lizard logo is two-toned green; I have no reason to think
of a chameleon. Looks like a lizard. Also I know what a chameleon
looks like; this logo doesn't look like one.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every

Cruise Director

Nov 10, 2005, 8:06:03 PM11/10/05

Michael J. Forster wrote:
> Peter Seibel wrote:
> >
> > Hmmm. Most lizards I've run into have been speedy little buggers
> > running up and down walls and stuff. We're not talking iguanas here.
>
> Nope. Reptiles look tough, and the big ones can eat you, but few
> reptilian species will survive the climatic changes we're accelerating.
> Cockroaches on the other hand... ;-)

Ok, I think this is a good springboard for my own thoughts on this
logo. First the positive: graphically this is a well designed logo.
Edi, your artist friend is clearly a professional. Keep him happy so
that he can do more stuff for you. :-)

Now for the constructive criticism. The goal of a marketing effort is
not just to create a graphical design, but a Brand Identity. What is
this logo communicating about Lisp? Most importantly, how does it
*differentiate* itself from other products? When trying to
differentiate a brand, first we need to consider our competitors in the
technology space, because of possible Trademark violations. But we
should also consider non-technical products that people have common
experience with. We don't really want Lisp overshadowed by better
known ad campaigns.

First point: why another "language animal" at all? Every single
language has got its animal mascot, thanks to O'Reilly. Since
everybody's got one, this is a pretty weak differentiator of language
features. In contrast, what I like about the alien logos is they're
not animals. In a world of yes-another-language-with-another-animal,
they stand out, while still being cool.

Second point: that lizard almost looks like a snake, the way the body
is shaped and because of the strength of the main graphic line. Also
it's green. Considering those 2 points, it could be mistaken for a
Python logo. If you think that sounds improbable, and that people are
smarter than that, consider what happens when you see things from afar,
when you're distracted, when you're pressed for time and really can't
think, etc.

Third point: SoBe energy drinks uses a lizard logo. I see them at the
grocery store all the time. Geico uses a gecko, kinda similar, and
they're always on TV. Because their campaigns are widespread, when I
think of "small spritely lizard-like animal," I think of energy drinks
and auto insurance. Now, you're a smart Lisp guy, you never think of
such rubbish, right?? Well, you're not advertizing to smart Lisp guys.
You're advertizing to the "Lisp, what's that?" crowd. They know about
grocery stores and auto insurance, not Lisp.

Fourth point: a lot of people don't like lizards. Sure, some a fast
and cute, but others are slow and ancient and dangerous. I suppose
everyone's got mixed feelings about everything under the sun, but it's
not good to sign yourself up for gratuitous negative associations if
you can avoid it. We had this issue when designing Python logos
because snakes are very negative animals in a lot of people's minds.
For this reason, we didn't take it as a given that we should use a
snake, even though that would be an obvious choice given the language's
name.

We also decided there were 3 ways we could treat snakes if we did want
them: as realistic animals, as cuddly playful plush animals, or as
abstract graphical design elements. Since realistic snakes really
bother a lot of people, we weren't going to go that way! We were
trying to target suits, not techies, so we didn't want to give it the
Sesame Street treatment that so many programmers love. This left
abstract graphical design, and we did use it to good effect. Our logo
only had a "hint of snake" in it. At a glance, that element of the
design was only a graceful curve.

To conclude: being able to whip out a graphic is a great prototyping
resource. However, thought about the target market and the brand
identity has to go along with that. A logo isn't just a graphic, it's
a message. What message are you sending? Do you even know what you
are sending? What if people have some nasty or unexpected associations
with your logo? This is particularly problematic in an international
context: things that you deem pleasant may be repulsive in some other
culture.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every
"The pioneer is the one with the arrows in his back."
- anonymous entrepreneur

asb...@gmail.com

Nov 10, 2005, 8:15:48 PM11/10/05
I don't know about "lizard" sounding like "Lisp".

If you really need to rationalize the use of a lizard. (Looks like a
gecko.):
I've got a couple of geckos around the house from time to time, and
from what I can tell they are able to get a grip on the most slippery
of surfaces, enabling them to go where other creatures can't, and their
main diet is bugs...

--
-asbjxrn

Cruise Director

Nov 10, 2005, 8:43:35 PM11/10/05

Pisin Bootvong wrote:
> I was thinking of something more like, say, Tree, A Cell, or DNA.
>
> Anything that grows.
>
> Lisp was emphasized on being a programmable programming language or the
> language that can grow to its user's expectation.

I do find such biological growth / structure metaphors compelling as
I'm working on game AI problems. Also I think this is the future
direction that all software has to go in, that we'll only get so far
with this hand cobbled push-pull-push-click stuff. Perhaps this kind
of logo would be best as an abstract graphical design. I would worry
about it getting too complicated, as logos do have to remain somewhat
simple to be effective. Also about it being mistaken for a medical
logo. But I'm sure you could come up with something, if you've got
pencil and paper. That's the joy of making suggestions: they don't
turn into anything unless you actually start drawing. :-)

> So something like an Ameoba would be nice.

Probably too Far Side.

> But Lizard can also adapt to its user's environment, so I guess it fits
> nice, too.

I regard it as Just Another Generic Animal [TM]. Henceforth to be
known as a JAGA, a sort of inferior species of jaguar.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every

David Steuber

Nov 11, 2005, 4:11:50 AM11/11/05
Alain Picard <Alain....@memetrics.com> writes:

Project Styles?

--
http://www.david-steuber.com/
The UnBlog: An island of conformity in a sea of quirks.

John Thingstad

Nov 11, 2005, 4:15:21 AM11/11/05
On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 01:26:33 +0100, Cruise Director
<SeaFu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If Lisp actually provides stellar competitive advantages for your
> problem domain, great. I find that for Windows game development, I'm
> always running up against issues of inferior tools and library support.
> Lisp simply doesn't look as stellar here, and I think the advantages
> of using an advanced HLL may have longer term rather than short term
> advantages. So either I need to help solve the chicken-and-egg
> problem, or give up. The other route is a hardcore version of what you
> advocate: write my own language in ASM and don't tell anyone about it
> until I'm rich.
>
> Cheers,
> Brandon Van Every
> Taking risk where others will not.

Any particular reason you can't write your own interfaces to high level
3D engine like Ogre?
Seems to me every time I look at creating complex games what I lack is
manpower.
Like a need a musician, several graphics designers, several game
programers..
This is just as much a problem in C++.
Game companies with this kind of manpower typically also have the
time to create their own interfaces (naughty dog).
I don't see this as a language problem.

David Steuber

Nov 11, 2005, 4:14:27 AM11/11/05
Emre Sevinc <em...@bilgi.edu.tr> writes:

> I see dead languages everywhere. Lizards in my dreams
> Escher in my fantasies, Lisp in my spare time...

Speaking of Escher, if it wouldn't be too much of a rip off, I would
have made the Lizard tessellate like Escher's salamanders. Can
lambdas be made to do that?

David Steuber

Nov 11, 2005, 4:18:22 AM11/11/05
"matteo d'addio 81" <m_a_t...@yahoo.it> writes:

> Edi Weitz ha scritto:
>
> > Now also available in glossy:
> >
> > <http://www.normal-null.de/lisp_logo.html>
> >

> This is the best lisp logo I ever seen!

While I like Conrad's playful alien critter, those are some damn sexy
logos. It's good that Lisp is all things to all people. A little
macro magic and you can have any logo you like!

David Steuber

Nov 11, 2005, 5:14:54 AM11/11/05
"Cruise Director" <SeaFu...@gmail.com> writes:

> I find that for Windows game development, I'm always running up
> against issues of inferior tools and library support. Lisp simply
> doesn't look as stellar here, and I think the advantages of using an
> advanced HLL may have longer term rather than short term advantages.

I might believe you if you were actually doing Windows game
development. All I've seen from you is trash talk.

I like the logos. I've even written about them (just now):

http://www.david-steuber.com/snippets/Lisp_Logos/

It would be refreshing if you would help do something about your
situation, like developing better tools, rather than constantly
whining that the tools suck and the logos are not suitable for
"suits".

matteo d'addio 81

Nov 11, 2005, 5:25:16 AM11/11/05

David Steuber ha scritto:

> Can lambdas be made to do that?

I'm working on it, but it's very difficult to have
a good design, and I'havn't much time to work
on it.
Probably I'll write also a program that render 'em
to postscript (with scheme).

matteo

Pascal Bourguignon

Nov 11, 2005, 6:30:26 AM11/11/05
David Steuber <da...@david-steuber.com> writes:

> Emre Sevinc <em...@bilgi.edu.tr> writes:
>
>> I see dead languages everywhere. Lizards in my dreams
>> Escher in my fantasies, Lisp in my spare time...
>
> Speaking of Escher, if it wouldn't be too much of a rip off, I would
> have made the Lizard tessellate like Escher's salamanders. Can
> lambdas be made to do that?

Trivially. Here is a recursive tesselation
with the turtles in:
http://www.informatimago.com/users/pascal/ipl-0.1-alpha.tar.gz

(in-package :ipl-user)

(defun draw-thick-lambda (size &optional mirror)
(setf mirror (if mirror -1 1))
(flet ((left () (turn (* mirror 60)))
(right () (turn (* mirror -60))))
(draw size) (left)
(draw size) (right) (right)
(draw size) (left)
(draw size) (left) (left)
(draw (* 3 size)) (left)
(draw size) (left) (left)
(draw size) (right)
(draw (* 5/4 size)) (right)
(draw (* 1/4 size)) (left)
(draw (* 3/4 size)) (left) (left)
(draw (* 1/4 size))))

(defun draw-centered-lambdas (size)
(move size) (turn -120) (move (* 2 size)) (turn 120)
(turn 60) (move size) (turn -60)
(repeat 6
(draw-thick-lambda size)
(move (- size))
(turn -60))
(turn 240) (move size) (turn -240)
(move size) (turn 120) (move (* 2 size)) (turn -120))

(defun tesselate-lambda-rec ()
(clear)
(labels ((tess (size)
(when (< 1 size)
(draw-centered-lambdas size)
(tess (/ size 4)))))
(tess 120)))

(tesselate-lambda-rec)

Since it's a basically hexagonal motif, it can trivially be
iteratively tesselated too.

You never feed me.
Perhaps I'll sleep on your face.
That will sure show you.

Cruise Director

Nov 11, 2005, 9:57:54 AM11/11/05

David Steuber wrote:

> I like the logos. I've even written about them (just now):
>
> http://www.david-steuber.com/snippets/Lisp_Logos/

For some reason I can't connect to your site.

> It would be refreshing if you would help do something about your
> situation, like developing better tools, rather than constantly
> whining that the tools suck and the logos are not suitable for
> "suits".

Just because I don't go on and on and on about Chicken and CMake
doesn't mean I'm not doing anything. I'm realizing, however, that
public forums are not good places for logo discussions or
what-needs-to-be-done-to-improve-OpenGL-support. Too many people
lacking either expertise or a stake in the outcome.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every

John Thingstad

Nov 11, 2005, 10:56:21 AM11/11/05
On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 15:57:54 +0100, Cruise Director
<SeaFu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just because I don't go on and on and on about Chicken and CMake
> doesn't mean I'm not doing anything. I'm realizing, however, that
> public forums are not good places for logo discussions or
> what-needs-to-be-done-to-improve-OpenGL-support. Too many people
> lacking either expertise or a stake in the outcome.
>

> Cheers,
> Brandon Van Every

If you bothered reading the name of the contributors to the libraries
that do exist I think you will find that many are regular contributors
to this group.
I too am starting to feel you are a Troll.
However you are probably right that only a few lispers are very interested
in 3D programming. There are approx. 1 million C++ programmers and about
30 000 lisp programmers. Obviously it is easier to find a niche interested
in 3D programming in the C++ community. That doesn't mean a higher
percentage
have this interest however. Most people do business logic.

matteo d'addio 81

Nov 11, 2005, 1:31:09 PM11/11/05

Pascal Bourguignon ha scritto:

> David Steuber <da...@david-steuber.com> writes:
>
> > Speaking of Escher, if it wouldn't be too much of a rip off, I would
> > have made the Lizard tessellate like Escher's salamanders. Can
> > lambdas be made to do that?
>
> Trivially. Here is a recursive tesselation
> with the turtles in:
> http://www.informatimago.com/users/pascal/ipl-0.1-alpha.tar.gz

> [code ...]

I don't have any lisp implementations installed on my pc.
There's an image of the output of your code?

matteo

Bernd.Sch...@gmx.net

Nov 11, 2005, 3:00:42 PM11/11/05

asb...@gmail.com wrote:
> [...] able to get a grip on the most slippery of surfaces,

> enabling them to go where other creatures can't
> and their main diet is bugs...

I would like to add this to my signature, may I?

Bernd

Pascal Bourguignon

Nov 11, 2005, 4:19:00 PM11/11/05
"matteo d'addio 81" <m_a_t...@yahoo.it> writes:

> Pascal Bourguignon ha scritto:
>
>> David Steuber <da...@david-steuber.com> writes:
>>
>> > Speaking of Escher, if it wouldn't be too much of a rip off, I would
>> > have made the Lizard tessellate like Escher's salamanders. Can
>> > lambdas be made to do that?
>>
>> Trivially. Here is a recursive tesselation
>> with the turtles in:
>> http://www.informatimago.com/users/pascal/ipl-0.1-alpha.tar.gz
>> [code ...]
>
> I don't have any lisp implementations installed on my pc.

What are you waiting to install one? ;-)

http://www.informatimago.com/users/pascal/lambda-tesselation.jpg

--
"A TRUE Klingon warrior does not comment his code!"

matteo d'addio 81

Nov 11, 2005, 6:19:03 PM11/11/05

Pascal Bourguignon ha scritto:

Wonderfull

matteo

Bernd.Sch...@gmx.net

Nov 11, 2005, 6:37:55 PM11/11/05
(just played with parentheses ;)

() () ()(()) (())()
() () () () ()
() () (())() ()(())
() () () ()
((())) () (())() ()

rydis

Nov 13, 2005, 6:55:29 AM11/13/05
Ulrich Hobelmann <u.hob...@web.de> writes:
> Marco Antoniotti wrote:
> > Well, also "object orientedness" :) Why can't we steal it? :)
> > BTW. Also MySQL uses the dolphin.
>
> Hm, dolphins are only the second most intelligent lifeform on earth
> (so it's inappropriate that MySQL use them, oh well).
>
> What about using mice?
> (squeak uses one, but still...)

If we're talking smart animals, I'd go with an octopus. They look
really cool, as well.

',mr

--
[Emacs] is written in Lisp, which is the only computer language that is
beautiful. -- Neal Stephenson, _In the Beginning was the Command Line_

Ulrich Hobelmann

Nov 13, 2005, 8:45:27 AM11/13/05
Martin Rydstr|m wrote:
> If we're talking smart animals, I'd go with an octopus. They look
> really cool, as well.

Yeah, and unlike the C++ one, the Lisp one wasn't created by nailing
four extra legs on a dog ;)

--
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Vasile Rotaru

Nov 13, 2005, 4:02:40 PM11/13/05

I like it!

--
If in doubt, enjoy it.

Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
More than 140,000 groups
Unlimited download

Sampo Smolander

Nov 14, 2005, 12:25:32 AM11/14/05
Cruise Director <SeaFu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> First point: why another "language animal" at all? Every single
> language has got its animal mascot, thanks to O'Reilly. Since
> everybody's got one, this is a pretty weak differentiator of language
> features. In contrast, what I like about the alien logos is they're
> not animals. In a world of yes-another-language-with-another-animal,
> they stand out, while still being cool.

Yeah, why not a plant instead of an animal for a change?
In the spirit of:

"For God wrote in Lisp code
When he filled the leaves with green.
The fractal flowers and recursive roots:
The most lovely hack I've seen."

http://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/eternal-flame.html
http://www.prometheus-music.com/audio/eternalflame.mp3

matteo d'addio 81

Nov 21, 2005, 9:54:26 AM11/21/05

matteo d'addio 81 ha scritto:

I've finished my escher like picture
with lambdas.

It can be found here:
http://freeweb.lombardiacom.it/daddio_Home/scheme/lisp-escher-lambda.svg

You can modify it the way you like most.

matteo

Edi Weitz

Jan 16, 2006, 9:56:44 AM1/16/06
On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 18:25:13 +0100, Edi Weitz <spam...@agharta.de> wrote:

> I asked a friend of mine, Manfred Spiller, who is a professional
> graphic designer, if he'd like to create a Lisp logo and this is
> what he came up with:
>
> <http://www.normal-null.de/lisp_logo.html>
>
> I think it's very nice and as you can see you are free to use it for
> whatever purpose.

Manfred started to link projects that use the logo from his website
(see link above). If you also want your URL listed there, just email
him.

Cheers,
Edi.