Install SLIME on windows?

globalrev

Apr 27, 2008, 4:34:34 AM4/27/08
i downloaded the SLIME-file.

how do i install it on windows? i have unzipped and there is no
specific install-file and the readme is just about emacs itself, not
slime.

the tutorials just show for linux/mac etc.

An[z]elmus

Apr 27, 2008, 4:52:24 AM4/27/08

"SLIME is a Emacs mode for Common Lisp development."
So you need to install emacs too, because slime is not an indipendent
program.
Have a look at this link, maybe it is usefull:
http://gigamonkeys.com/lispbox/

globalrev

Apr 27, 2008, 5:01:48 AM4/27/08
On 27 Apr, 10:52, "An[z]elmus" <some...@somewhere.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 01:34:34 -0700 (PDT), globalrev
>
> <skanem...@yahoo.se> wrote:
> >i downloaded the SLIME-file.
> >how do i install it on windows? i have unzipped and there is no
> >specific install-file and the readme is just about emacs itself, not
> >slime.
>
> >the tutorials just show for linux/mac etc.
>
> "SLIME is a Emacs mode for Common Lisp development."
> So you need to install emacs too, because slime is not an indipendent
> program.
> Have a look at this link, maybe it is usefull:http://gigamonkeys.com/lispbox/

i have emacs already.
i did like this:
http://robert.zubek.net/blog/2008/04/09/sbcl-emacs-windows-vista/

but i dont understand where to insert this:

(setq inferior-lisp-program “c:/users/rob/documents/sbcl/sbcl.exe –
core c:/users/rob/documents/sbcl/sbcl.core”)
(require ’slime)
(slime-setup)

in my ~/.emacs file it says.
so no emacs.exe?

where is this .emacs-file? what is the name of it? why doesnt he write
the name instead?

An[z]elmus

Apr 27, 2008, 5:18:22 AM4/27/08
On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 02:01:48 -0700 (PDT), globalrev
<skan...@yahoo.se> wrote:
>but i dont understand where to insert this:
>
>(setq inferior-lisp-program “c:/users/rob/documents/sbcl/sbcl.exe –
>core c:/users/rob/documents/sbcl/sbcl.core”)
>(require ’slime)
>(slime-setup)
>

>in my ~/.emacs file it says.
>so no emacs.exe?
>
>where is this .emacs-file? what is the name of it? why doesnt he write
>the name instead?

The name of the file should be indeed ".emacs". In my system is in
the root directory "c:\". The convention of preceeding the name of a
file with a dot is completly unusual in Windows and i think it comes
from unix, that is the operating system where emacs was developed and
where it works at best.

Pascal Bourguignon

Apr 27, 2008, 5:27:12 AM4/27/08

Well, actually it's not specific to linux/mac, it's specific to emacs.
All emacs package work on emacs, not on any other lower OS.

emacs is more than an OS, emacs is a way of life.

Have you googled for slime manual or slime documentation?
Have you read slime manual?
http://common-lisp.net/project/slime/doc/html/
Notice how the installation procedure don't mention anything about any
OS, only about emacs.

"Specifications are for the weak and timid!"

Pascal Bourguignon

Apr 27, 2008, 5:33:19 AM4/27/08
globalrev <skan...@yahoo.se> writes:
> but i dont understand where to insert this:
>
> (setq inferior-lisp-program “c:/users/rob/documents/sbcl/sbcl.exe –
> core c:/users/rob/documents/sbcl/sbcl.core”)
> (require ’slime)
> (slime-setup)
>

> in my ~/.emacs file it says.
> so no emacs.exe?
>
> where is this .emacs-file? what is the name of it? why doesnt he
> write the name instead?

Because that's its name! Just C-x C-f ~/.emacs RET
and copy and paste the above lisp code.
Then C-x C-s to save the file.

You should already KNOW that because you should already have READ the
emacs TUTORIAL that's emacs proposes you to read first thing when it
starts up. Again, type Control-h t and read the tutorial now!

Litter box not here.
You must have moved it again.
I'll poop in the sink.

globalrev

Apr 27, 2008, 5:56:55 AM4/27/08
On 27 Apr, 11:33, Pascal Bourguignon <p...@informatimago.com> wrote:

but is this file supposed to exist after just installing emacs?
because windows cant find it and i cant find it.

when i did like u said emacs made a new file(didnt even knew it could,
only thought emacs could edit already existing files).

Pascal Bourguignon

Apr 27, 2008, 6:08:10 AM4/27/08
globalrev <skan...@yahoo.se> writes:

And you know a lot of MS-Windows application that can only modify
files, and not create them? How would you create files then?

IMPORTANT NOTICE TO PURCHASERS: The entire physical universe,
including this product, may one day collapse back into an
infinitesimally small space. Should another universe subsequently
re-emerge, the existence of this product in that universe cannot be
guaranteed.

globalrev

Apr 27, 2008, 6:03:28 AM4/27/08
i created the .emacs file now and try to do M-x slime RET and it says
no match.

An[z]elmus

Apr 27, 2008, 6:20:00 AM4/27/08

I think .emacs is a configuration file that is read/evaluated when
Emacs start up.

Alex Mizrahi

Apr 27, 2008, 6:21:09 AM4/27/08
g> but i dont understand where to insert this:

g> (setq inferior-lisp-program “c:/users/rob/documents/sbcl/sbcl.exe –
g> core c:/users/rob/documents/sbcl/sbcl.core”)
g> (require ’slime)
g> (slime-setup)

g> in my ~/.emacs file it says.
g> so no emacs.exe?

emacs.exe is executable
.emacs is it's configuration file

g> where is this .emacs-file? what is the name of it? why doesnt he write
g> the name instead?

".emacs" IS the name. "~" is your home directory.
it's either set by a environment variable, or defaults to some location like
C: or Documents and Settings\username

in any case, you DO NOT actually need to know where it is, because Emacs can
open it for you, and you can edit it in Emacs -- just click Open File and
select ~/.emacs -- it will create file for you when you save it.

by the way, if you got used to Windows editors, you might find XEmacs better
because of more sane keyboard bindings defaults (btw XEmacs also has "Edit
Init File", so you don't have to type a name to open it).
also, you'd better choose other implementations (i.e. CLISP, ECL) instead of
SBCL -- SBCL is not yet fully supported on Windows.

Pascal Bourguignon

Apr 27, 2008, 6:41:14 AM4/27/08
globalrev <skan...@yahoo.se> writes:

> i created the .emacs file now and try to do M-x slime RET and it says
> no match.

You need to load ~/.emacs
This is done automatically when you launch emacs.
So you could quit and relaunch emacs, but this is gross.
A better way is to type:
M-x load-file RET ~/.emacs RET
another way is, having ~/.emacs the current buffer, to type:
M-x eval-buffer RET

Then you'll be able to type M-x slime RET

CONSUMER NOTICE: Because of the "uncertainty principle," it is
impossible for the consumer to simultaneously know both the precise
location and velocity of this product.

Timofei Shatrov

Apr 27, 2008, 11:45:08 AM4/27/08
On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 02:01:48 -0700 (PDT), globalrev <skan...@yahoo.se> tried
to confuse everyone with this message:

>but i dont understand where to insert this:
>

>(setq inferior-lisp-program =93c:/users/rob/documents/sbcl/sbcl.exe =96
>core c:/users/rob/documents/sbcl/sbcl.core=94)
>(require =92slime)

>(slime-setup)
>

>in my ~/.emacs file it says.
>so no emacs.exe?
>
>where is this .emacs-file? what is the name of it? why doesnt he write
>the name instead?

When you open a file in Emacs, type "~/.emacs" as the name of the file
and Emacs will open it. It should usually be located at c:/.emacs.

--
|Don't believe this - you're not worthless ,gr---------.ru
|It's us against millions and we can't take them all... | ue il |
|But we can take them on! | @ma |
| (A Wilhelm Scream - The Rip) |______________|

Nathaniel Calloway

Apr 27, 2008, 3:59:02 PM4/27/08
globalrev <skan...@yahoo.se> writes:

I'm assuming you are installing this natively under windows and not
cygwin. It's actually much easier to install it without cygwin because
of problems converting windows to cygwin paths (unless you use cygwin emacs).

An additional tip is that if you are comfortable with lisp already,
it's easier to get it working using asdf. Just drop a link to your
swank.asd file (comes in the slime main directory) in your systems
directy and put (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op :swank) in your .lisprc file
or your slime startup file (that can be named whatever. Mine is
.slime.lisp. More notes below).

Otherwise you need add your slime directory to both your emacs and
lisp library paths. That is what everyone else is telling you to put
in your .emacs file (more notes on that below) for the emacs
side. Then put (load "your/slime/directory/swank.lisp") in your
.slime.lisp file. (Note: I've had to do this to get it working for me
in the past...I'm not sure if you are supposed to have to do
this). THEN, you have to add the path to .slime.lisp as part of your
inferior-lisp-process setting in emacs. Make all the other changes
people have suggested for your .emacs file, then say a prayer, and
type M-x slime.

Note: If it looks like slime starts, and then it locks up emacs, there
is nothing you can do about this. This is due to a problem with pipes
in windows, and the only way to fix it is to recompile lisp (with
changes to the C source) or find an executable that works. Another
option is to start your lisp process and load slime manually and start
the server all from within a shell OUTSIDE of emacs. But thats a pain.

Additional notes: When you first install emacs, your home directory
"~/" defaults to c:\Documents and Settings\your name\Aplication
Data. Don't ask me why. You can change your home directory as defined
in emacs by making a file called "site-start.el" and putting it in
your emacs/site-lisp directory with a line like (setenv "HOME"
"whatever/your/desired/home/dir/is") in there.

Someone else mentioned that windows doesn't like file names starting
with a dot. If this is the case, replace the dot with an underscore
"_" and it will still load up automatically.

Simple right?

Just be thankful you not using cygwin and you have to rewrite how
slime handles all its path names to get it to work.

-Nat

Peter Christensen

May 16, 2008, 1:00:58 PM5/16/08

Here, I wrote one for myself and it might be useful to you too:

http://www.pchristensen.com/blog/articles/installing-clisp-emacs-and-slime-on-windows-xp/

-Peter

Peter Christensen

May 30, 2008, 3:24:09 PM5/30/08
On Apr 27, 4:01 am, globalrev <skanem...@yahoo.se> wrote:
> On 27 Apr, 10:52, "An[z]elmus" <some...@somewhere.org> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 01:34:34 -0700 (PDT), globalrev
>
> > <skanem...@yahoo.se> wrote:
> > >i downloaded the SLIME-file.
> > >how do i install it onwindows? i have unzipped and there is no

> > >specific install-file and the readme is just about emacs itself, not
> > >slime.
>
> > >the tutorials just show for linux/mac etc.
>
> > "SLIME is a Emacs mode for Common Lisp development."
> > So you need to install emacs too, because slime is not an indipendent
> > program.
> > Have a look at this link, maybe it is usefull:http://gigamonkeys.com/lispbox/
>
> i have emacs already.
> i did like this:http://robert.zubek.net/blog/2008/04/09/sbcl-emacs-windows-vista/
>
> but i dont understand where to insert this:
>
> (setq inferior-lisp-program “c:/users/rob/documents/sbcl/sbcl.exe –
> core c:/users/rob/documents/sbcl/sbcl.core”)
> (require ’slime)
> (slime-setup)
>
> in my ~/.emacs file it says.
> so no emacs.exe?
>
> where is this .emacs-file? what is the name of it? why doesnt he write
> the name instead?

For the record if you're using Windows XP, you need to reboot after
running the SBCL v1.0.13 installer to set the system environment
variables. Also, once you reboot, you can just put

(setq inferior-lisp-program "sbcl")

in the .emacs file, since SBCL finds the executable and core files
using the PATH environment variable. (http://common-lisp.net/pipermail/
slime-devel/2008-May/007331.html)

I wrote an install guide for it (complete with explanation of .emacs
and everything) here:

http://www.pchristensen.com/blog/articles/installing-sbcl-emacs-and-slime-on-windows-xp/

George Neuner

May 30, 2008, 9:47:20 PM5/30/08
On Fri, 30 May 2008 12:24:09 -0700 (PDT), Peter Christensen
<peter.t.c...@gmail.com> wrote:

>For the record if you're using Windows XP, you need to reboot after
>running the SBCL v1.0.13 installer to set the system environment
>variables.

Or you can just edit them manually.
Global environment variables are in

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\
Session Manager\Environment

and user private environment variables are in

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment

There is also a program called setx.exe which is a global version of
the command line set. It can be found in the XP SP2 support tool
package at:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=49AE8576-9BB9-4126-9761-BA8011FABF38&displaylang=en

George
--