Re: ECL on windows

Message has been deleted

kod...@eurogaran.com

Jan 7, 2009, 3:40:40 AM1/7/09
> Anyone has any hints on any way to do this correctly? Thanks

Yes. Try a decent operative system.

John Thingstad

Jan 7, 2009, 4:20:37 AM1/7/09
På Tue, 06 Jan 2009 12:41:41 +0100, skrev Francogrex <fra...@grex.org>:

> Hello, maybe someone has already some experience with this, it's
> technical:
> I'm trying to install ECL lisp on windows using msys and mingw from
> the source files. It works very well with these commands from msys:
> ./configure
> make
> make install
> That generates the ecl.exe and all well, however this is creating an
> ecl.dll dynamic library that I prefer not to have, and would like to
> replace it by a static library using:
> ./configure --disable-shared
> but in this case the making of ecl fails completely! I read on another
> post that this was a problem but seeminly was solved:
> http://coding.derkeiler.com/Archive/Lisp/comp.lang.lisp/2006-01/msg00932.html
> But I don't think it was solved because it still fails to build.

> Anyone has any hints on any way to do this correctly? Thanks

That's the Linux build code. Get the windows version. It's devoid of that
primitive command line gibberish. Just dobble click the icon.

--------------
John Thingstad

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

John Thingstad

Jan 7, 2009, 4:35:53 AM1/7/09
På Wed, 07 Jan 2009 10:28:04 +0100, skrev Francogrex <fra...@grex.org>:

> On Jan 7, 10:20 am, "John Thingstad" <jpth...@online.no> wrote:
>> På Tue, 06 Jan 2009 12:41:41 +0100, skrev Francogrex <fra...@grex.org>:
>>

>> > Hello, maybe someone has already some experience with this, it's
>> > technical:
>> > I'm trying to install ECL lisp on windows using msys and mingw from
>> > the source files. It works very well with these commands from msys:
>> > ./configure
>> > make
>> > make install
>> > That generates the ecl.exe and all well, however this is creating an
>> > ecl.dll dynamic library that I prefer not to have, and would like to
>> > replace it by a static library using:
>> > ./configure --disable-shared
>> > but in this case the making of ecl fails completely! I read on another
>> > post that this was a problem but seeminly was solved:

>> >http://coding.derkeiler.com/Archive/Lisp/comp.lang.lisp/2006-01/msg00...

>> > But I don't think it was solved because it still fails to build.
>> > Anyone has any hints on any way to do this correctly? Thanks
>>
>> That's the Linux build code. Get the windows version. It's devoid of
>> that
>> primitive command line gibberish. Just dobble click the icon.
>>
>> --------------

>> John Thingstad- Hide quoted text -

> Hi, can you show me where that is please? I am getting the source code
> from there:
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=30035&package_id=22059
> and as far as I know they are the only ones around. So I am building
> it from source and it works quite well when you do want to have the
> ecl.dll but fails when you ask instead for a statically linked library.

try this:

--------------
John Thingstad

Message has been deleted

Juanjo

Jan 7, 2009, 7:51:54 AM1/7/09
On Jan 7, 1:35 pm, Francogrex <fra...@grex.org> wrote:
> But this is the same place I pointed to in my post above where I am
> getting the files that are failing to compile! Am I missing something?
> is there any windows specific version hidden there I couldn't see.

I am not sure that the windows MSVC port was ever designed to be
statically linked. The Makefile is probably missing the appropriate
options, and since currently I have no Windows machine to fix this, it
will have to wait until I get a virtual environment up and running, or
until somebody adds the missing bits.

Juanjo

Message has been deleted

Jeff Schwab

Jan 7, 2009, 12:25:20 PM1/7/09
kod...@eurogaran.com wrote:
>> Anyone has any hints on any way to do this correctly? Thanks
>
> Yes. Try a decent operative system.

An "operative system?" You mean, like the CIA?

Juanjo

Jan 8, 2009, 4:25:21 AM1/8/09
On Jan 7, 4:49 pm, Francogrex <fra...@grex.org> wrote:
> Anyway I am not using the MSVC port (I don't work with Visual C++)
> because I am using msys and MinGW (or also Cygwin) to compile from the
> source (src) and this works quite well to have a working windows
> version (with aecl.dll). I've been using it very happily and have
> made many applications with it. So why can't the source files in src
> be modified to enable static linking instead of dynamic?

The sources do not need to be modified to get a statically linked
library: that is simply dictated by an option that is set when you
build ECL. What I meant is that the option is missing from the MSVC
makefiles.

In the Linux and similar versions (including mingw), you should simply
pass a configuration flag to "configure". Just do ./configure --
prefix=... --disable-shared ... The problem you will find is that
version 8.12.0 does not install the statically linked version
properly, but the executable gets built. I am working on a fix.

Please report if --disable-shared does not work in mingw so that I add
it to the list of things to be fixed.

Juanjo

Message has been deleted

Juanjo

Jan 8, 2009, 9:38:08 AM1/8/09
On Jan 8, 3:04 pm, Francogrex <fra...@grex.org> wrote:
> On Jan 8, 10:25 am, Juanjo

> > The sources do not need to be modified to get a statically linked
> > library: that is simply dictated by an option that is set when you
> > build ECL. What I meant is that the option is missing from the MSVC
> > makefiles.
>
> > In the Linux and similar versions (including mingw), you should simply
> > pass a configuration flag to "configure". Just do ./configure --
> > prefix=... --disable-shared ... The problem you will find is that
> > version 8.12.0 does not install the statically linked version
> > properly, but the executable gets built. I am working on a fix.
>
> > Please report if --disable-shared does not work in mingw so that I add
> > it to the list of things to be fixed.
>
> > Juanjo
>
> unfortunately when you pass the --disable-shared it doesn't work
> neither with MSYS/MINGW nor with GYGWIN. The error happens in make at
> the level of (example in cygwin):
>
> sed 's __declspec(dllimport),,g' ...
> ...if grep 'undef ENABLE_DLOPEN...
> ...cannot stat 'c/external.h' :No such file or directory...
> ERROR
>
> Somehow something has to be chnaged in the src files to kill the dll
> linking and actiivate the static linking

Ok, sorry for the inconvencience. I will look into that.

Juanjo

Message has been deleted

Juanjo

Feb 14, 2009, 5:38:30 AM2/14/09
On Feb 13, 5:45 pm, Francogrex <fra...@grex.org> wrote:
> Anyway, now that I could build ECL statically, I'm wondering what's the advantage?

Well, there are only two possible advantages: compact distribution and
hiding the actual implementation of a program.

BTW, could you send me by email the fix you used to build ECL
statically?

Juanjo

Message has been deleted