History in CLISP?

F. Xavier Noria

Jun 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/13/99
Hello,

Does CLISP have history facilities? For instance, if I typed

> (load "foo.lsp")

five prompts ago, can I tell CLISP something to be able to
use arrow keys or the like to get that instruction again?

Thanks,

-- Xavier

Lars Marius Garshol

Jun 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/13/99

* F. Xavier Noria

The arrow keys work perfectly well for me in version 1999-01-08 under
Linux. I don't need to do anything special, either.

--Lars M

F. Xavier Noria

Jun 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/13/99
On 13 Jun 1999 21:59:57 +0200, Lars Marius Garshol <lar...@ifi.uio.no> wrote:

: The arrow keys work perfectly well for me in version 1999-01-08 under

: Linux. I don't need to do anything special, either.

Thanks.

It's a bit strange, arrow keys do nothing in my version 11-12-1998
(I downloaded it few days ago) under (a DOS box of) Win98...

F. Xavier Noria

Jun 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/13/99
On 13 Jun 1999 21:59:57 +0200, Lars Marius Garshol <lar...@ifi.uio.no> wrote:

Also, I am not able to modify my current command line using
the left-right arrows and inserting-deleting text in the
middle of the line because left-right arrows do nothing.

I have to use the backspace key until the character to be
changed and then rewrite the rest!

I have no clue what can be happening. The interpreter itself
works fine.

Alan Gunderson

Jun 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/13/99
You probably need

C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\DOSKEY /INSERT

in your autoexec.bat file.

F. Xavier Noria

Jun 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/14/99
On Sun, 13 Jun 1999 16:15:55 -0800, Alan Gunderson <alan...@alaska.net> wrote:

: You probably need

:
: C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\DOSKEY /INSERT
:
: in your autoexec.bat file.

Thanks, but it doesn't work. That line gives history in the
DOS prompt but it doesn't within CLISP. In fact, the same
feature in MAPLE for DOS is enabled without the needing of
any additional explicitly-invoked program.

Jon K Hellan

Jun 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/14/99
Lars Marius Garshol <lar...@ifi.uio.no> writes:

> * F. Xavier Noria
> |
> | Does CLISP have history facilities? For instance, if I typed
> |
> | > (load "foo.lsp")
> |
> | five prompts ago, can I tell CLISP something to be able to
> | use arrow keys or the like to get that instruction again?
>

> The arrow keys work perfectly well for me in version 1999-01-08 under
> Linux. I don't need to do anything special, either.

It was probably linked with GNU readline, which provides this
functionality.

Jon

Paolo Amoroso

Jun 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/14/99
On Sun, 13 Jun 1999 22:25:44 GMT, f...@retemail.es (F. Xavier Noria) wrote:

> Also, I am not able to modify my current command line using
> the left-right arrows and inserting-deleting text in the
> middle of the line because left-right arrows do nothing.

Try these keystrokes:

^A beginning of line
^E end of line
^B move left one character
^F move right one character
^P previous command in the command history
^N next command in the command history

Paolo
--
Paolo Amoroso <amo...@mclink.it>

F. Xavier Noria

Jun 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/14/99
On Mon, 14 Jun 1999 20:05:01 GMT, amo...@mclink.it (Paolo Amoroso) wrote:

: > Also, I am not able to modify my current command line using
: > the left-right arrows and inserting-deleting text in the
: > middle of the line because left-right arrows do nothing.
:
: Try these keystrokes:
:
: ^A beginning of line
: ^E end of line
: ^B move left one character
: ^F move right one character
: ^P previous command in the command history
: ^N next command in the command history

Many thanks Paolo, but they doesn't have that behaviour in my
CLISP session. What I obtain is a handful of funny characters.
Alt-whatever doesn't work either.

Erik Naggum

Jun 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/14/99
* f...@retemail.es (F. Xavier Noria)

| Does CLISP have history facilities?

yes, but it's a compile-time option. if you do not have it compiled-in,
you don't get the feature. it also cannot be loaded into CLISP

I wonder why you behave as if it is your right to edit command line and
you have been violated. use Emacs as your "command-line" instead.

#:Erik
--
@1999-07-22T00:37:33Z -- pi billion seconds since the turn of the century

F. Xavier Noria

Jun 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/15/99
On 14 Jun 1999 23:47:22 +0000, Erik Naggum <er...@naggum.no> wrote:

: I wonder why you behave as if it is your right to edit command line and
: you have been violated.

Hmmm... it's just not the case. I only ask if it has that feature.
Some people say that they have it and I'm just trying to figure out
why it doesn't work in my CLISP. Of course, because if I _could_
have history I _would_ like to use it.

Perhaps the answer comes from your former remark: if history is a
compile-time option, I think the binaries I downloaded are likely to
have been compiled without that feature.

Thank you,

-- Xavier

Juanma Barranquero

Jun 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/15/99

Bruno Haible

Jun 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/18/99
F. Xavier Noria <f...@retemail.es> wrote:

> Many thanks Paolo, but they doesn't have that behaviour in my
> CLISP session. What I obtain is a handful of funny characters.
> Alt-whatever doesn't work either.

The console (DOS box) under WinNT has history and cut&paste. The console
under Win95/98 does not. This is entirely in Microsoft's responsibility.

The adventurous can install Cygwin32-b18 from ftp.cygnus.com and then use
the precompiled CLISP binary at
ftp://ftp2.cons.org/pub/lisp/clisp/binaries/cygwin32/
It has readline. But be warned that:
- Cygwin32-b18 was still a bit flaky,
- These binaries are from 1997,
- They are slow and use Unix style pathnames with forward slashes.

The even more adventurous can install the newest Cygwin20.1 and the newest
clisp source and compile it him/herself, including readline. It will be
more stable than Cygwin32-b18, and certainly faster as well.

Bruno http://clisp.cons.org/~haible/