( at the beginning of a line in docstring

1 view

Tamas Papp

Jul 21, 2007, 7:57:28 AM7/21/07
Take a function

(defun foo (x)
"Add 1 to x and return the result.
Example:
(foo 1) => 2"
(1+ foo))

Now if I remove the leading space after "Example:", ie

(defun foo (x)
"Add 1 to x and return the result.
Example:
(foo 1) => 2"
(1+ foo))

the ( will be pink in SLIME and compiling the function gives a reader
error. No other character but ( appear to have such an effect. I
would like to learn why the ( at the beginning of the line is handled
differently even if it is inside a docstring -- I tried to find it in
the Hyperspec with no success.

Thanks,

Tamas

Rainer Joswig

Jul 21, 2007, 8:07:37 AM7/21/07
In article <87hcnyo...@pu100877.student.princeton.edu>,
Tamas Papp <tkp...@gmail.com> wrote:

This is a 'feature' of SLIME/Emacs. A bug, if you will.

--
http://lispm.dyndns.org

Tamas Papp

Jul 21, 2007, 9:08:13 AM7/21/07
Rainer Joswig <jos...@lisp.de> writes:

Thanks Rainer, I reported it to slime-devel.

Tamas

Kalle Olavi Niemitalo

Jul 21, 2007, 5:10:55 PM7/21/07
Rainer Joswig <jos...@lisp.de> writes:

> This is a 'feature' of SLIME/Emacs. A bug, if you will.

The Emacs convention is to write \( instead of ( at the beginning of
a line in a documentation string. Info: (elisp)Documentation Tips.

mmcconn...@yahoo.com

Jul 23, 2007, 11:25:16 AM7/23/07
> This is a 'feature' of SLIME/Emacs. A bug, if you will.

Emacs regards this as something you simply have to live with. Within
Emacs, go to Info (ctrl-h i and then choose Emacs), and find the entry
"Left Margin Paren".