Which graduate program uses Lisp as research tool?

HalfEmpty

Jan 8, 2009, 11:34:23 PM1/8/09
I have been thinking about going to grad school in computer science. I
thought it will be nice if the program is open about using Lisp as a
research tool (preferably in machine learning). Do you guys know of
any?

Kenneth Tilton

Jan 9, 2009, 12:07:14 AM1/9/09
HalfEmpty wrote:
> I have been thinking about going to grad school in computer science.

What made you lose interest in computer programming?

hth,kth

Pascal Costanza

Jan 9, 2009, 3:48:05 AM1/9/09

In what part of the world?

Pascal

--
My website: http://p-cos.net

HalfEmpty

Jan 9, 2009, 4:39:34 AM1/9/09
> In what part of the world?

Preferably in the United States, but I will consider other parts of
the world too.

HalfEmpty

Jan 9, 2009, 4:43:19 AM1/9/09
> What made you lose interest in computer programming?

I think there is a pretty good overlap between computer programming
and computer science.

If you know of a computer programming graduate degree that uses Lisp,
I'd appreciate that too.

Kenneth Tilton

Jan 9, 2009, 5:42:38 AM1/9/09
HalfEmpty wrote:
>> What made you lose interest in computer programming?
>
> I think there is a pretty good overlap between computer programming
> and computer science.

Don't say you weren't warned.

> If you know of a computer programming graduate degree that uses Lisp,
> I'd appreciate that too.

Sorry, can't help. But as long as you are not listening: just ask them
if you can use Lisp. If they do not say, "We do not give a rat's ass
what you use."*, find another program.**

hth,kt

* It does not have to be a rat.

** On second thought, just asking this question will cost you admission
to the best programs.

John Thingstad

Jan 9, 2009, 6:36:22 AM1/9/09
På Fri, 09 Jan 2009 05:34:23 +0100, skrev HalfEmpty
<ToPacif...@gmail.com>:

I can't quite see why. Machine learning these days (at least the bit's I
have researched) seem to focus on Bayesian logic or neural networks and to
some extent genetic algorithms. In these you are usually better off with a
linear algebra oriented language like mathematica or matlab. There is a
interesting approach to gaming that uses feedback from sucessfull moves
that is suited for lisp. (reinforcemet learning)

--------------
John Thingstad

Albert Krewinkel

Jan 9, 2009, 1:12:50 PM1/9/09
HalfEmpty <ToPacif...@gmail.com> writes:

Don't know about machine learning, but if your interests include
computational/system biology, check out those projects:

BioBike: http://nostoc.stanford.edu/Docs/
Little b: http://www.littleb.org/
http://vcp.med.harvard.edu/

basman

Jan 9, 2009, 8:04:33 PM1/9/09

I went to grad school in machine learning and used mostly Lisp (e.g.,
http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~bhaskara/alisp/). A significant fraction
of Phd advisors at top schools will be hands-off enough not to care
what language you use. Just apply all over and ask before you go. I
wouldn't make this your top criterion though.

Btw, in case people bring up the lack of numerical/linear algebra
libraries in Lisp, note the existence of Matlisp.
- b

Kenneth Tilton

Jan 9, 2009, 11:42:39 PM1/9/09
Kenneth Tilton wrote:
> HalfEmpty wrote:
>>> What made you lose interest in computer programming?
>>
>> I think there is a pretty good overlap between computer programming
>> and computer science.
>
> Don't say you weren't warned.
>

>> If you know of a computer programming graduate degree that uses Lisp,
>> I'd appreciate that too.
>
> Sorry, can't help.

Wait, just thought of two.

Where does Prof. Strandh teach?

University of Colorado, Boulder, Cognitive Science has a Lisp friend I
think.

hth, kth

sinnatagg

Jan 10, 2009, 6:20:37 AM1/10/09

The Natural Language Processing group at the University of Oslo
(Norway) uses Allegro CL heavily, and has been focusing increasingly
on machine learning techniques in recent years. The machine learning
technology is usually implemented with third party tools not
implemented in Lisp though. You can check out some of the projects
they participate in at http://www.delph-in.net.

They offer both Masters degrees and the occasional PhD stipend.

My own Masters thesis investigated machine learning models and
included a fair amount of CL coding (along with lots of C++). I think
it would be quite possible to do a CL heavy thesis there if you're so
inclined.

Happy hunting!

-andré

game_designer

Jan 10, 2009, 12:06:20 PM1/10/09

University of Colorado, computer science

unfortunately not machine learning but we work on programming
environments for kids in Lisp: http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~ralex/papers/PDF/VL08_3Dfluency.pdf

Alex

HalfEmpty

Jan 10, 2009, 4:15:56 PM1/10/09
> I went to grad school in machine learning and used mostly Lisp (e.g.,http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~bhaskara/alisp/).  A significant fraction

> of Phd advisors at top schools will be hands-off enough not to care
> what language you use.  Just apply all over and ask before you go.  I
> wouldn't make this your top criterion though.

That's good to know.

I'm actually not worried too much about using Lisp. However, I'm
worried that I didn't have a bachelor degree in CS (it was Physics),
and I have never taken any course in CS. I taught myself everything by
chewing through textbooks, dissertations and journal papers. I don't
know how seriously top grad school would consider me, since none of
that can be put on paper.

I did a good amount of work in Genetic Algorithm and Neural Network,
which were heavily influenced by the work done by Kenneth Stanley
(Neat and HyperNeat).

Right now my interested lie in hidden variable Bayesian Network and
reinforcement learning (Alisp looks cool. I will definitely check it
out.)

HalfEmpty

Jan 10, 2009, 4:21:33 PM1/10/09
> Don't know about machine learning, but if your interests include
> computational/system biology, check out those projects:
>
> BioBike:http://nostoc.stanford.edu/Docs/
> Little b:http://www.littleb.org/
>          http://vcp.med.harvard.edu/

I'm definitely interested in Bio-computation too. One of the school
(San Francisco State) I'm considering has a CS for bio-computation
degree.

Thanks.

Tamas K Papp

Jan 10, 2009, 4:32:52 PM1/10/09
On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 13:15:56 -0800, HalfEmpty wrote:

> I'm actually not worried too much about using Lisp. However, I'm worried
> that I didn't have a bachelor degree in CS (it was Physics), and I have
> never taken any course in CS. I taught myself everything by chewing
> through textbooks, dissertations and journal papers. I don't know how
> seriously top grad school would consider me, since none of that can be
> put on paper.

If I were you, would not worry about that. Especially if the people
who are writing your recommendation letters can talk about it briefly,
or you can show previous work directly (in the form of results,
papers, etc).

I am in an econ PhD program. Our department is known to accept people
who didn't major in economics (but did math, physics, or even if they
majored in something totally remote but have taken a good amount of
math courses). The attitude is that you will be taught most of what
you need to know in their courses anyway. Good graduate programs are
interested in attracting smart and motivated people, and what you did
in college is of secondary importance.

Also, in answer to your original question: it seems that you are
worried about something that should not come up in practice. They
will teach you theory and methods, and should allow you to pick the
language in which you implement them. When you write papers, people
care about your results, and the language you used for programming
them is not even mentioned most of the time (unless the language was
important in getting the results, etc).

Good luck,

Tamas

basman

Jan 10, 2009, 7:14:30 PM1/10/09
On Jan 10, 1:32 pm, Tamas K Papp <tkp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Jan 2009 13:15:56 -0800, HalfEmpty wrote:
> > I'm actually not worried too much about using Lisp. However, I'm worried
> > that I didn't have a bachelor degree in CS (it was Physics), and I have
> > never taken any course in CS. I taught myself everything by chewing
> > through textbooks, dissertations and journal papers. I don't know how
> > seriously top grad school would consider me, since none of that can be
> > put on paper.
>
> If I were you, would not worry about that.  Especially if the people
> who are writing your recommendation letters can talk about it briefly,
> or you can show previous work directly (in the form of results,
> papers, etc).

Yeah, assuming your GRE scores and GPA are above threshold, rec
letters are what people look at. If you can find some way to get one
or two CS professors to write you strong letters (e.g., by doing a
research project with them), that will help a lot. If your previous
work resulted in a conference paper that would be another plus. If
not, you have eleven months before the next round of grad school
deadlines, which is plenty of time :)
- b

viper-2

Jan 12, 2009, 12:49:03 PM1/12/09

Top universities regularly admit students into CS grad schools even
when their formal training is from another discipline. What counts is
the ability to demonstrate your preparedness for graduate work in CS,
whether through formal study or other means. The fact of your
motivation for self-instruction is a strong plus, which some regard
more highly than certain modes of formal training.

Demonstration of your preparedness for graduate study in CS may
include the GRE in CS or math (which I believe includes topics such as
AI and theory), but more importantly includes your interests in
pursuing research related to the field. In this regard, the suggestion
to submit evaluations from a CS professor (or two) acquainted with
(whether as supervisors or as collaborators, or colleagues) some of
your research is an excellent one. Your evaluators need not be
professors, they can be professionals established in the field. Back
up these evaluations with a published research paper. This is what you
need to demonstrate preparedness for graduate work in CS. If you want
to work in Lisp, make sure you can show code that applies.

In any case, once a graduate school is suitably impressed with a
candidate, it is normal procedure to require the completion of certain
core CS courses in order to make up for deficiencies in background.
Your BS in Physics is not an insurmountable concern.

Good luck!

agt

--

Freedom - No pane, all gaiGN!

Code Art Now
http://codeartnow.com
Email: a...@codeartnow.com

HalfEmpty

Jan 12, 2009, 2:21:15 PM1/12/09
Thanks guys. Now I know what to work on.