An issue with #+?

1 view

William Deakin

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
I'm looking at some code and there are a whole stack of #+ <something>
directives. I have Allegro CL, CLISP and CMUCL and experiencing `issues'
with working out what is being loaded. Is there a list some of
<something> in the #+ <something> directive?

Best Regards,

:) will

Jeff Greif

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
The *features* special variable is a list of all of them.
Jeff

William Deakin

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
Jeff Greif wrote:

> The *features* special variable is a list of all of them.

Thanks for you Help.

As a quick suplementary: if I have the directive #+ QXZ, say, is there a way
of working out what that is for?

Best Regards,

:) will

Pierre R. Mai

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
William Deakin <wi...@pindar.com> writes:

> Jeff Greif wrote:
>
> > The *features* special variable is a list of all of them.
>
> Thanks for you Help.
>
> As a quick suplementary: if I have the directive #+ QXZ, say, is there a way
> of working out what that is for?

Other than browsing all the documentation for all possible CL
implementations and the ANSI CL standard? Probably not, besides
posting to c.l.l and hoping someone else has direct knowledge of some
of the features.

There has been some talk about setting up a central registry of
features in the past, but until now this has never been advanced
beyond the concept stage, as far as I know...

Conceptually/Practically something like this is needed IMHO, since the
*features* variable is the only global use of keyword arguments, and
hence neither the package system nor the locality of use mitigate
clashes between features.

But with the good news of MK-DEFSYSTEM becoming active again, it seems
more likely that a central repository of components (something like
CPAN) will become available, which might give a natural point for the
registry as well. I wouldn't mind administrating such a list...
[ducks and runs before people can take him up on the offer ;->]

Regs, Pierre.

--
Pierre Mai <pm...@acm.org> PGP and GPG keys at your nearest Keyserver

Robert Monfera

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
Pierre R. Mai wrote:

> William Deakin <wi...@pindar.com> writes:

> > As a quick suplementary: if I have the directive #+ QXZ, say, is there a way
> > of working out what that is for?
>
> Other than browsing all the documentation for all possible CL
> implementations and the ANSI CL standard?

Some infrastructure packages, like SERIES, will also leave their mark in
*features*. Will, maybe you could check features before and after

Robert

Paolo Amoroso

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
On Wed, 17 Nov 1999 06:12:05 +0000, William Deakin <wi...@pindar.com>
wrote:

> I'm looking at some code and there are a whole stack of #+ <something>
> directives. I have Allegro CL, CLISP and CMUCL and experiencing `issues'
> with working out what is being loaded. Is there a list some of
> <something> in the #+ <something> directive?

The most extensive list of Common Lisp implementations features I am aware
of is included in the comp.lang.lisp FAQ as question [2-17] "Read-time
conditionalization of code (#+ #- and *features*)". I hope I have
understood your question.

By the way, that FAQ has not been updated for years, yet it's still a great
technical resource. I profit by the occasion to thank both Mark Kantrowitz
and Barry Margolin for creating it. I also wish to thank Mark for
designating Marco Antoniotti as the official maintainer of MK:DEFSYSTEM and
for lifting the restrictions of its distribution license.

Paolo

Ian Wild

Nov 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/17/99
"Pierre R. Mai" wrote:

> There has been some talk about setting up a central registry of
> features in the past, but until now this has never been advanced
> beyond the concept stage, as far as I know...

This might be a(nother) good use for the "NIST Identifier Collaboration
Service" (http://pitch.nist.gov/nics/).

> I wouldn't mind administrating such a list...

but since NIST have already got the machinery in place, ...

Erik Naggum

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
* Pierre R. Mai

| There has been some talk about setting up a central registry of features
| in the past, but until now this has never been advanced beyond the
| concept stage, as far as I know...

the newly revived Association of Lisp Users is in the process of setting
up its web site and an archive of Common Lisp code. since I proposed
this central registry first (as far as I know), and suggested it be part
of the standard, the least I can do, being the newly elected Archivist of
the ALU, is to collect information about the currently used feature
keywords and set up a web page that could function as a central registry.

please send your favorite feature keywords to me by mail, identifying the
product and version in which it is used, and what it identifies. if you
know of other feature keywords that (sort of) form a hierarchy that could
be used in disambiguating the meaning of clashes, please include them as
formally as you can.

future assignments of feature keywords should as far as is implementable,
and as long as it is not very easily managable to exploit other feature
keywords to disambiguate them, be unambiguous.

| But with the good news of MK-DEFSYSTEM becoming active again, it seems
| more likely that a central repository of components (something like CPAN)
| will become available, which might give a natural point for the registry
| as well. I wouldn't mind administrating such a list... [ducks and runs
| before people can take him up on the offer ;->]

too late! you have been tagged. :) seriously, running an archive is
not a one-man job. (I have tried with SGML, and won't repeat mistakes.)

#:Erik
--
Attention Microsoft Shoppers! MS Monopoly Money 6.0 are now worthless.

William Deakin

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
Paolo Amoroso wrote:

> [An] extensive list of Common Lisp ... features ... is included in the

> comp.lang.lisp FAQ as question [2-17] "Read-time conditionalization of code
> (#+ #- and *features*)". I hope I have understood your question.

Yes, "mille grazie". I hope you understand my thank you (appologies for the
lousy Italian)

> By the way, that FAQ has not been updated for years...

The copy I look at is www.cs.cmu.edu/Groups/AI/html/faqs/lang/lisp/top.html and
was last updated on 10th August 1997. Is this the `bleeding-edge' document?

> yet it's still a great technical resource. I profit by the occasion to thank
> both Mark Kantrowitz and Barry Margolin for creating it.

I agree and would also like to thank the authors of this. I would like to add
them to the legion ranks of the ilisp writers and maintainers and to
`buy-them-a-pint' or equivalent.

> I also wish to thank Mark for designating Marco Antoniotti as the official
> maintainer of MK:DEFSYSTEM and for lifting the restrictions of its
> distribution license.

Yes. This is excellent news.

Following on from the other postings in this thread, are there any moves to
update the FAQ? I would be prepared to do this. But I would also understand if
people didn't want me to ... (I do suffer from what a friend of mine describes
as `arse-elbow syndrome').

Best Regards,

:) will

William Deakin

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
Pierre R. Mai wrote:

> William Deakin <wi...@pindar.com> writes:
>
> > Thanks for you Help.

Sorry about that. This should have read `thanks for your help'. Could I extend
this to everybody who replied to my question.

> Other than browsing all ... documentation for all ... CL implementations?

That sounds like fun ;)

This is sort of what I thought. The central list sounds like an excellent idea
tho'.

Thanks and Best Regards,

:) will

Paolo Amoroso

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
On Thu, 18 Nov 1999 10:19:07 +0000, William Deakin <wi...@pindar.com>
wrote:

> Yes, "mille grazie". I hope you understand my thank you (appologies for the
> lousy Italian)

The code generated by your Italian compiler is correct and efficient :)

> The copy I look at is www.cs.cmu.edu/Groups/AI/html/faqs/lang/lisp/top.html and
> was last updated on 10th August 1997. Is this the `bleeding-edge' document?

I think so.

> Following on from the other postings in this thread, are there any moves to
> update the FAQ? I would be prepared to do this. But I would also understand if

You should probably check with Barry Margolin.

Barry Margolin

Nov 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/18/99
In article <38342c17...@news.mclink.it>,

Paolo Amoroso <amo...@mclink.it> wrote:
>On Thu, 18 Nov 1999 10:19:07 +0000, William Deakin <wi...@pindar.com>
>wrote:
>> Following on from the other postings in this thread, are there any moves to
>> update the FAQ? I would be prepared to do this. But I would also understand if
>
>You should probably check with Barry Margolin.

Why? I wrote the initial FAQ, but have not maintained it, Mark Kantrowitz
has always performed that duty. The FAQ mentions a mailing list to send
FAQ updates and suggestions to.

--
Barry Margolin, bar...@bbnplanet.com

Quentin Deakin

Nov 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM11/20/99
Barry Margolin wrote:
>Why? I wrote the initial FAQ, but have not maintained it, Mark Kantrowitz
>has always performed that duty. The FAQ mentions a mailing list to send
>FAQ updates and suggestions to.

That is perfectly correct. I did not mean to cause offence to you or to Mark
Kantrowitz. If I did, please accept my apologies.

The question that I should have asked is `is the FAQ currently being
actively maintained?' There are a number of recurring questions that appear
on c.l.l. that could be answered sensibly by something like the FAQ. So
before digging myself into a deeper hole, I will follow the procedure
outlined. And let this be an end to the matter.

Best Regards,

Will Deakin