CL for WindowsNT?

1 view

Julian M Underwood

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00
Hi, just skimmed through some posts on Lisp here. I'm taking a course
where I will be using Common Lisp Music, and I need a Lisp compiler for
WindowsNT. Is Allegro CL the best "freeware" compiler for WindowsNT? If
there is something better that I should look into, please let me know!

Julian

Sam Steingold

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00

http://clisp.cons.org

--
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds)
Micros**t is not the answer. Micros**t is a question, and the answer is Linux,

Jonathan Coupe

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00

Julian M Underwood <jmu...@is5.nyu.edu> wrote in message

> Hi, just skimmed through some posts on Lisp here. I'm taking a course
> where I will be using Common Lisp Music, and I need a Lisp compiler for
> WindowsNT. Is Allegro CL the best "freeware" compiler for WindowsNT? If
> there is something better that I should look into, please let me know!
>
> Julian

ACL isn't really freeware, it's a very limited demo of a commercial product.
The main limitation is that the amount of memory you can use is *tiny*.
You're probably better looking elsewhere. You might look at CLisp and GCL (I
haven't used either though) and the demo version of Harlequin's product. Oh,
and isn't there a Windows/Lisp vesrion of the Poplog system?

Jonathan

Roger Corman

Jan 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/25/00
On Mon, 24 Jan 2000 20:55:30 -0000, "Jonathan Coupe"
<jona...@meanwhile.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>Julian M Underwood <jmu...@is5.nyu.edu> wrote in message
>> Hi, just skimmed through some posts on Lisp here. I'm taking a course
>> where I will be using Common Lisp Music, and I need a Lisp compiler for
>> WindowsNT. Is Allegro CL the best "freeware" compiler for WindowsNT? If
>> there is something better that I should look into, please let me know!

Please take a look at Corman Lisp:

http://www.corman.net/CormanLisp.html

-Roger Corman

Erik Naggum

Jan 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/25/00
* "Jonathan Coupe" <jona...@meanwhile.freeserve.co.uk>

| ACL isn't really freeware, it's a very limited demo of a commercial product.
| The main limitation is that the amount of memory you can use is *tiny*.

facts are useful, grumpy opinions not. the heap space is limited to
about 35M. this has been comfortably roomy for any educational and trial
use of the version, which was the stated purpose, which being a mere demo
version was not. in other words, you're refusing to consider the
purposes for which it was given away and are instead complaining about
not having your will. you should say that up front, so people can see
that the complaints come from someone who only wants stuff for free and
has no respect for those who give things away. ungrateful people like
you make it harder to argue for a commercial enterprise to give stuff
away that people can make reasonable use of.

I'm deeply concerned that the more people complain about free versions
out of greed or stupidity, the less likely they are to continue to be
made available. think long-range, and help _motivate_ the vendor to make
stuff available that is usable to you. OK?

#:Erik

His Holiness the Reverend Doktor Xenophon Fenderson, the Carbon(d)ated

Jan 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/25/00

EN> you should say that [you are complaining about not having your
EN> will] up front, so people can see that the complaints come
EN> from someone who only wants stuff for free and has no respect
EN> for those who give things away. ungrateful people like you
EN> make it harder to argue for a commercial enterprise to give
EN> stuff away that people can make reasonable use of.

EN> I'm deeply concerned that the more people complain about
EN> free versions out of greed or stupidity, the less likely they
EN> are to continue to be made available.

Unfortunately, this lack of appreciation is just as much an issue in
the "free software" world as the "proprietary software" world. All
too often people are less than grateful for the tools others provide
gratis and/or libre. This attitude makes it difficult for one to
contribute anything to the community, because of those individuals who
assume that the volunteer has some kind of "obligation" to them.

--
JOHN CAGE (strapped to table): Do you really expect me to conduct this
antiquated tonal system?

Jonathan Coupe

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00

Erik Naggum <er...@naggum.no> wrote in message

> * "Jonathan Coupe" <jona...@meanwhile.freeserve.co.uk>
> | ACL isn't really freeware, it's a very limited demo of a commercial
product.
> | The main limitation is that the amount of memory you can use is *tiny*.
>
> facts are useful, grumpy opinions not. the heap space is limited to
> about 35M.

1. The version of ACL Lite I was sent ran out of space when I asked it for
an array of about 250^2 fixnums. It jams on Allegro's own (by my standards)
trivial examples. Whether the heap space is used up by incredibly expensive
internal processes, or that the version I had is now obsolete, or that
you're confused with the Unix version, or just plain wrong - I don't know.

> I'm deeply concerned that the more people complain about free versions
> out of greed or stupidity, the less likely they are to continue to be
> made available. think long-range, and help _motivate_ the vendor to
make
> stuff available that is usable to you. OK?

2. Erik: A complaint is of the form "This is so and it's ***bad.***" Nowhere
do I say that Lite's limitations are inappropriate. They are the concern of
Franz's marketing department and investors and nowhere do I even suggest
otherwise. I simply believe that compared that Lite is not up to the likely
demands of running music composition software. Do read posts more carefully,
please.

Jonathan

Chris Double

Jan 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/29/00
"Jonathan Coupe" <jona...@meanwhile.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

> Whether the heap space is used up by incredibly expensive internal
> processes, or that the version I had is now obsolete, or that you're
> confused with the Unix version, or just plain wrong - I don't know.

The version of AC501 Lite for Windows that includes the IDE has more
heap space than the image that does not have the IDE loaded. It is
possible to run CL-HTTP using ACL501Lite for Windows if you use the
IDE image but not the lisp only image for example.

Chris.

Erik Naggum

Jan 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/29/00
* "Jonathan Coupe" <jona...@meanwhile.freeserve.co.uk>

| Do read posts more carefully, please.

can those of you who abide by this sage advice please notice that some of
us do not want mailed copies of news articles (especially not the even
more annoying _unidentified_ copies that show up as news articles some
time after you have replied by mail to some jerk who never responds
because he thinks others are wasting his mailbox space, too) and that we
use the now standard and recommended header "Mail-Copies-To: never" to
express this desire?

#:Erik