how to ring the bell?

Barry Margolin

Oct 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/5/00
In article <gores-4DA63F....@news.uni-ulm.de>,
kp gores <go...@sip.medizin.uni-ulm.de> wrote:
>hi,
>to get extra attention i want my lisp program to ring the bell.
>the obvious (print (code-char 7)) or (print #\Bell) don'T work.

You should use PRINC, not PRINT. The latter prints the printed
representation, i.e. #\something.

--
Barry Margolin, bar...@genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA

Erik Naggum

Oct 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/5/00
* kp gores <go...@sip.medizin.uni-ulm.de>

| to get extra attention i want my lisp program to ring the bell.
| the obvious (print (code-char 7)) or (print #\Bell) don'T work.

Really? Why is that obvious? What does the obvious print?

What do you normally use to cause a #\newline character to print as
a newline rather than the character object suitable for reading back?

#:Erik
--
If this is not what you expected, please alter your expectations.

lyle borg-graham

Oct 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/6/00
kp gores wrote:

> In article <Y91D5.9$Uc7.154@burlma1-snr2>, Barry Margolin

> <bar...@genuity.net> wrote:
>
> > You should use PRINC, not PRINT. The latter prints the printed
> > representation, i.e. #\something.
>

> thanks. this doesnt work correctly under my setup (X server eXodus on a
> mac, lisp runing under emacs+ilisp on a sun).
> it *does* work when lisp is envoked from a plain terminal (rxvt).
>
> it looks like there is a problem with ilisp? Marco Antoniotti?
>
> ciao
> kp
>
> --
> superegos talker

Another data point: This also doesn't work when running CMUCL from a shell
buffer under Emacs. Therefore the problem is probably not with ilisp.

Lyle

Barry Margolin

Oct 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/6/00
In article <39DDAD83...@cogni.iaf.cnrs-gif.fr>,

lyle borg-graham <ly...@cogni.iaf.cnrs-gif.fr> wrote:
>kp gores wrote:
>
>> In article <Y91D5.9$Uc7.154@burlma1-snr2>, Barry Margolin
>> <bar...@genuity.net> wrote:
>>
>> > You should use PRINC, not PRINT. The latter prints the printed
>> > representation, i.e. #\something.
>>
>> thanks. this doesnt work correctly under my setup (X server eXodus on a
>> mac, lisp runing under emacs+ilisp on a sun).

When displaying in an X window, you have to use an X-specific function --
whatever is equivalent to Xlib's XBell(). This is no different from
programming GUI applications in any other language.

>> it *does* work when lisp is envoked from a plain terminal (rxvt).
>>
>> it looks like there is a problem with ilisp? Marco Antoniotti?
>

>Another data point: This also doesn't work when running CMUCL from a shell
>buffer under Emacs. Therefore the problem is probably not with ilisp.

There's no way to ring the bell from any application running in a shell
buffer under Emacs. And ilisp makes use of the same underlying mechanism
as shell buffers.