Learning CLOS?

Kai Grossjohann

Apr 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/11/98

I'm trying to learn CL by reading CLtL2. Which is of course the wrong
approach. I was able to get by, though, until I hit the chapter on
CLOS. Didn't understand much of this at all.

Now, one choice would be to try it out and learn by doing, but I
thought reading a book would be nice, too. Can do the reading in bed
and in the restroom where I don't have my computer handy :-)

Do you have any recommendation for a book where CLOS is discussed, and
where they show me the typical uses first rather than talking about
how to change the way methods are combined (whatever that maybe)
first?

kai
--
Really cancel? [OK] [Cancel]

Lyman S. Taylor

Apr 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/11/98

In article <vafyaxc...@ramses.cs.uni-dortmund.de>,
Kai Grossjohann <gross...@ls6.cs.uni-dortmund.de> wrote:

>approach. I was able to get by, though, until I hit the chapter on
>CLOS. Didn't understand much of this at all.

>Do you have any recommendation for a book where CLOS is discussed, and

For Common Lisp in general ( contains material
on Lisp in general. Immensely better than slogging through
Steele... this book is meant to be read. Not a language reference.
There are two chapters that concern CLOS ).

Paul Graham's "ANSI Common Lisp"

For CLOS specifically,

Sonya E. Keene's "Object-oriented programming in
Common LISP : a programmer's guide to CLOS"

[This book is likely to be a "special order" since most bookstores
don't keep it in stock. ]

Other alternatives....

Probably hard to find... and solely about CLOS per se.

Object-oriented programming : the CLOS perspective /
edited by Andreas Paepcke.

I haven't read... but from the listing of the table of contents it
seems to be a general "intro to lisp" book with some chapters on CLOS...
depite the title.

Stephen Slade's "Object-Oriented Common LISP"

--

Lyman S. Taylor "Because no matter where you go,
(ly...@cc.gatech.edu) there you are."

Kelly Murray

Apr 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/11/98

> Do you have any recommendation for a book where CLOS is discussed, and
> where they show me the typical uses first rather than talking about
> how to change the way methods are combined (whatever that maybe)
> first?

"Object-Oriented Programming in Common Lisp: A Programmers Guide to CLOS",
by Sonya Keene, published by Addison Wesley ISBN 0-201-17589-4

Written in 1988, it's 10 years old, but nothing has changed since
it was written. I don't know if it's actually still in print.
In my opinion, it's still one of the best books about CLOS.

-Kelly Murray k...@franz.com

Paul Dietz

Apr 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/11/98

Kelly Murray wrote:

> "Object-Oriented Programming in Common Lisp: A Programmers Guide to CLOS",
> by Sonya Keene, published by Addison Wesley ISBN 0-201-17589-4
>
> Written in 1988, it's 10 years old, but nothing has changed since
> it was written. I don't know if it's actually still in print.

According to amazon.com, it is still in print ($37 and change, shipment
within 24 hours.)

Paul

Erik Naggum

Apr 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/11/98

* Kelly Murray

| "Object-Oriented Programming in Common Lisp: A Programmers Guide to CLOS",
| by Sonya Keene, published by Addison Wesley ISBN 0-201-17589-4
|
| Written in 1988, it's 10 years old, but nothing has changed since it was
| written. I don't know if it's actually still in print. In my opinion,

| it's still one of the best books about CLOS.

let me second that. I'm lucky enough to have a friend who has been
interested in Common Lisp many years more than I was able to take
advantage of it, and he had a spare copy of this book when I vented my
frustration with CLOS some years back. the problem with the CLOS chapter
in CLtL2 is that you have to know how it all basically works before it
makes any sense, and I was unable to understand much from it. (CLOS felt
almost like C++.) Sonya Keene managed in a very nice way to demonstrate
why the power is needed as well as to show how to command it for simple
and advanced cases alike. after reading Keene, CLtL2 made sense and
actually became readable, although I _much_ prefer the ANSI specification
these days. and thanks to the Harlequin Group and Kent Pitman for making
the HyperSpecน available; programming by specification has never been
easier. the standard is usable as introductory material the way it is
organized, but Keene will guide you the necessary steps to be able to
fully appreciate the excellent reference materials.

I wonder what it would take to make this book electronically available.
Addison-Wesley does not appear to want to reprint it.

the chapters on CLOS in Paul Graham: ANSI Common Lisp made _me_ feel he
was brooding on a book dedicated as much to CLOS as On Lisp was dedicated
to macros and didn't want to tell too much too early. others have found
his book as valuable as I found Sonya Keene's, so maybe it's just a
matter of which book you read first.

#:Erik
-------
http://www.harlequin.com/books/HyperSpec/
--
religious cult update in light of new scientific discoveries:
"when we cannot go to the comet, the comet must come to us."

Jason Karney

Apr 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/14/98

> Do you have any recommendation for a book where CLOS is discussed, and
> where they show me the typical uses first rather than talking about
> how to change the way methods are combined (whatever that maybe)
> first?

I liked the recent title, "Object-Oriented Common Lisp" by Stephen Slade.

Jason Karney -- NetGenics Research Team jka...@netgenics.com