what is the mnemonic behind nstring-* functions ?

pj

Dec 12, 2001, 5:29:44 AM12/12/01
hello,

I was going to the hyperspec and I saw NSTRING* series of functions do
the same thing as STRING* functions but they operate in-place.

Can someone tell me what is the mnemonic behind the "N" in NSTRING ?

cheers
pj

Erik Naggum

Dec 12, 2001, 5:50:51 AM12/12/01
* pjd...@hotmail.com (pj)

| I was going to the hyperspec and I saw NSTRING* series of functions do
| the same thing as STRING* functions but they operate in-place.
|
| Can someone tell me what is the mnemonic behind the "N" in NSTRING ?

It stands for "non-consing". You will also find it in nconc, nreconc,
nreverse, nbutlast, nsubst[-if[-not]], nsublis, nsubstitute[-if[-not]],
nintersection, nset-difference, and nset-exclusive-or which are non-
consing versions of the function named without the n prefix, except for
nconc which is the non-consing version of append.

///
--
The past is not more important than the future, despite what your culture
has taught you. Your future observations, conclusions, and beliefs are