Where can I download Lisp?

nantonio

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99
Whis is the best Lisp (Common Lisp) out there and where can I download
it from?

Erik Naggum

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99
* nantonio <nant...@ufl.edu>

| Whis is the best Lisp (Common Lisp) out there and where can I download
| it from?

in my opinion, Franz Inc's Allegro Common Lisp. try FTP.FRANZ.COM. if
you have an Intel processor running under an operating system, look in
/pub/acl501trial and select PPC Linux (mklinux), FreeBSD (freebsd), Intel
Linux glibc1 (redhat4) or Intel Linux glibc2 (redhat5). if you don't
have an operating system (to speak of), look in /pub/acl501lite. (the
latter sports an IDE that makes a lot of users of visual tools happy.)

note: other people _may_ have other opinions.

#:Erik
--
save the children: just say NO to sex with pro-lifers

Arne Knut Roev

Sep 1, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/1/99
nantonio <nant...@ufl.edu> wrote:
> Whis is the best Lisp (Common Lisp) out there and where can I download
> it from?

Two comments here:

1. When you want to know which implementation is the "best" implementation
of Common Lisp, you should start your question by stating which operating
system it is supposed to run under, and you should probably define what
_you_ mean by "best".

2. I'll give you a pointer to an HTML-version of the Lisp Standard:
Before you start using it, read the legalese!

--
Arne Knut Roev <akr...@online.no> Snail: N-6141 ROVDE, Norway
=

James A. Crippen

Sep 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/3/99
Erik Naggum <er...@naggum.no> writes:

> * nantonio <nant...@ufl.edu>

> | Whis is the best Lisp (Common Lisp) out there and where can I download
> | it from?
>

> in my opinion, Franz Inc's Allegro Common Lisp. try FTP.FRANZ.COM. if
> you have an Intel processor running under an operating system, look in
> /pub/acl501trial and select PPC Linux (mklinux), FreeBSD (freebsd), Intel

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That one probably won't work on an Intel processor. HTH.

> Linux glibc1 (redhat4) or Intel Linux glibc2 (redhat5). if you don't
> have an operating system (to speak of), look in /pub/acl501lite. (the
> latter sports an IDE that makes a lot of users of visual tools happy.)

The IDE is kinda cute, but I can't see myself using it to do anything
other than GUI design. I'd rather write my code in XEmacs and ILISP.

> note: other people _may_ have other opinions.

BTW Erik, here's a Scheme version of that silly bit that was riding around
in your .signature file recently. A friend and I tossed it back and forth
and it became rather baroque. Enjoy.

(define pringles
(lambda (chip)
(define insert
(lambda (chips chip)
(list chips chip)))
(define delete
(lambda (chips)
(cdr chips)))
(define eat
(lambda (chips)
(if (eq? chips '())
(insert chips 'chip)
(eat (delete chip)))))
(eat chip)))

Duane Rettig

Sep 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/3/99

=====> (if (eq? chips '())
=====> (insert chips 'chip)

> (eat (delete chip)))))
> (eat chip)))

Does this mean that you're throwing up into an empty
Pringles tube?

--
Duane Rettig Franz Inc. http://www.franz.com/ (www)
1995 University Ave Suite 275 Berkeley, CA 94704