Scieneer Common Lisp free for non-commercial use.

d...@scieneer.com

Oct 15, 2008, 11:34:30 PM10/15/08
The Scieneer (TM) Common Lisp 1.3.8 is now available for free for non-
commercial use and for commercial evaluation. The non-commercial
product is unrestricted and the same as the commercial product apart
from the restrictions on use in the license terms. For more
information see:
http://www.scieneer.com/scl/free.html

If you are using the product commercially then please purchase a
license. Support may also be purchased from Scieneer. The licensing
model has been changed to per-system rather than per-processor and the
support has been split out lowering the cost so please take another
look at:
http://www.scieneer.com/scl/store.html

The Scieneer Common Lisp features mature multi-threaded support
enabling applications to scale on multi-processor hardware now!

Check list when considering a Common Lisp implementation for scalable
enterprise applications:

1. Does it support multi-threading that scales on ubiquitous multi-
processor, multi-core and multi-threaded computers?

The Scieneer Common Lisp is built on the operating system's native
threads and supports multiple concurrent lisp threads which may be
scheduled on multiple processors. Common Lisp extensions support
locks, condition variables, and a range of atomic primitives for
thread synchronisation.

2. When will it be supported?

The Scieneer Common Lisp supports scalable multi-threaded applications
now!

3. How mature is the multi-threading support?

Scieneer pioneered multi-threading in Common Lisp and the Scieneer
Common Lisp implementation has supported this since its release over
six years ago.

4. Is the product backed by commercial support?

Scieneer offers commercial support from a developer with over a decade
of experience with Common Lisp implementations.

Regards,
Douglas Crosher

Scieneer Pty Ltd (ABN 42 092 062 934)
Melbourne Australia

Slobodan Blazeski

Oct 16, 2008, 3:14:30 AM10/16/08

Does Scieneer works with any other linux like ubuntu or fedora?

bobi

Raymond Wiker

Oct 16, 2008, 3:34:31 AM10/16/08
Slobodan Blazeski <slobodan...@gmail.com> writes:

> Does Scieneer works with any other linux like ubuntu or fedora?

Why don't you just download it and try?

Actually, http://www.scieneer.com/scl/x86-linux.html states that

<quote>
The x86 Linux port is designed to work with Intel Pentium or
compatible processors. The port supports RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 and
4, and compatible operating systems.
</quote>

I think the price of scl has come down by a large amount, too.

Slobodan Blazeski

Oct 16, 2008, 4:43:49 AM10/16/08
On Oct 16, 9:34 am, Raymond Wiker <r...@RawMBP.local> wrote:

> Slobodan Blazeski <slobodan.blaze...@gmail.com> writes:
> > Does Scieneer  works with any other linux like ubuntu or fedora?
>
>         Why don't you just download it and try?
I don't have a linux machine now so I want to know what to install.

>         Actually,http://www.scieneer.com/scl/x86-linux.htmlstates that

> <quote>
> The x86 Linux port is designed to work with Intel Pentium or
> compatible processors. The port supports RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 and
> 4, and compatible operating systems.
> </quote>
Doesn't mean much to me. I have a ubuntu box but will download Fedora
and try it.

>         I think the price of scl has come down by a large amount, too.
Yeah, smart move from scieener:
1. Offering the noncommercial edition, though it should be done it
earlier but it's never late. I always wondered how would anybody write
or adapt libraries for something that It doesn't have an access to it.
And you know one implementation is an island.
2. Price is now acceptable.
3. They don't have any limits beside only for noncommercial use. There
would be probably some free riders (cheaters) but even those will most
likely buy it with support as soon as it makes them money. It's stupid
to risk for saving little money.

bobi

d...@scieneer.com

Oct 16, 2008, 9:56:00 AM10/16/08
On Oct 16, 6:14 pm, Slobodan Blazeski <slobodan.blaze...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Yes, other linux distributions are supported. In some cases a special
build will be necessary. If you find that none of the supplied builds
work then please email me the details and I will look into adding
another build. The main dependency is the glibc library and libssl if
using the http library.

Regards
Douglas Crosher

Scott Burson

Oct 16, 2008, 11:10:53 AM10/16/08
On Oct 15, 8:34 pm, d...@scieneer.com wrote:
> The Scieneer (TM) Common Lisp 1.3.8 is now available for free for non-
> commercial use and for commercial evaluation.

I have used Scieneer CL for a few years, and recommend it. Alas, the
project I bought it for never made any money, but that's not
Scieneer's fault. Anyway, I'm working on a new project now :) Anyone
who wants to use CL to drive a commercial Web site should consider it.

I particularly appreciate the responsive support I have received from
Scieneer.

-- Scott

learninglisp

Oct 16, 2008, 11:25:26 AM10/16/08
d...@scieneer.com writes:

> The Scieneer (TM) Common Lisp 1.3.8 is now available for free for non-
> commercial use and for commercial evaluation.

Sounds very interesting! Are there any plans for a Mac OS X - Release?

best regards
okflo

pjd

Oct 17, 2008, 11:49:16 AM10/17/08
> 3. How mature is the multi-threading support?
>
> Scieneer pioneered multi-threading in Common Lisp and the Scieneer
> Common Lisp implementation has supported this since its release over
> six years ago.

It seems to me like the world has started going in a different
direction though.

The money seems to be on systems that support extremely lightweight
green threading but the backend runtime system itself running on all
cores efficiently.

d...@scieneer.com

Oct 17, 2008, 8:25:19 PM10/17/08

The 'Green threads' model: is not the lightest solution, for which a
state machine is lighter; and it does not expose much opportunity to
schedule and optimize the workflow, for which a state machine planner
or declarative language is much better suited; it is not the simplest
programming model, for which transaction based models are generally
easier to program; and finally it does not in itself scale on multi-
core systems, there is still the problem of efficiently scheduling all
the threads. If 'smart money' is money well invested solving extreme
computing and efficiency challenges then I do not see much being
invested in light weight threading models.

The Scieneer Common Lisp provides extensions for coarse grain multi-
threading and Common Lisp is a great language for writing state
machines, planners, and declarative languages. Have no doubt this
good infrastructure for meeting future computing challenges and far
exceeds the possibilities of 'green threads' alone.