(directory "/") -> Error!

1 view

David J. Cooper

Jul 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/22/97

Hello,

Has anyone seen the following: (I'm using Allegro 4.3 on
Solaris 2.5.1):

(directory "/")
-> Error: ABSOLUTE followed by :up/:back in directory component:
(:ABSOLUTE :BACK)
[condition type: FILE-ERROR]

(directory (make-pathname :directory '(:absolute)))
-> (same error)

(directory (make-pathname :directory "/"))
-> <same error>

Is this a bug in Allegro, or am I doing something wrong? Just
trying to get a directory listing of the root ("/") directory.

Every other directory works fine, just the "/" blows up...

Thanks!!

Regards, "Kick Butt and Have Fun"
Dave Cooper <dcoo...@wwnet.net> -- Sun CEO Scott McNealy

Erik Naggum

Jul 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/23/97

* David J. Cooper

| (directory "/")
| -> Error: ABSOLUTE followed by :up/:back in directory component:
| (:ABSOLUTE :BACK)
| [condition type: FILE-ERROR]

looks like you should (inspect #p"/") and see what it says.

incidentally, what is the value of excl::*pathname-parse-up-as-back*?

| Is this a bug in Allegro, or am I doing something wrong?

if it's a bug, it's not present in Allegro 4.3 with all the patches loaded,
running under SunOS 4.1.3_U1. see ftp.franz.com:/pub/patches for patches.
there is a patch that deals with `directory' on pathnames with ".." parts.
I never experienced the bug that was supposedly fixed, so I don't know if
this would help you.

incidentally, you can send bug reports directly to bu...@franz.com. they're
normally very helpful and fast in responding.

#\Erik
--
there was some junk mail in my mailbox. somebody wanted to sell me some
useless gizmo, and kindly supplied an ASCII drawing of it. "actual size",

David J. Cooper

Jul 23, 1997, 3:00:00 AM7/23/97

Erik Naggum wrote:

> * David J. Cooper
> | (directory "/")
> | -> Error: ABSOLUTE followed by :up/:back in directory component:
> | (:ABSOLUTE :BACK)
> | [condition type: FILE-ERROR]
>

> if it's a bug, it's not present in Allegro 4.3 with all the patches loaded,
> running under SunOS 4.1.3_U1. see ftp.franz.com:/pub/patches for patches.
> there is a patch that deals with `directory' on pathnames with ".." parts.

Yes! This patch fixes the problem -- Thank you! In the future I won't
bother the newsgroup unless I check with Franz first. Thanks again.

Regards, "Kick Butt and Have Fun"

Dave Cooper <dcoo...@ford.com> -- Sun CEO Scott McNealy