Missing figures in On Lisp by Paul Graham

vu3rdd

Sep 25, 2009, 1:17:18 PM9/25/09

I plan to take a printout of the book "On Lisp" which is available for
free download from Paul Graham's website. In the webpage, it is
mentioned that 9 figures are missing. On a quick glance, I could find
only 7 of them missing, not 9, namely: 5.7, 20.2, 22.11, 23.2, 23.6,
24.1 and 25.2.

Considering the fact that these figures are programs writen in ascii
text, can someone who own the dead tree version of the book post those
missing programs?

May be someone can easily incorporate these "diagrams" into the
postscript document and regenerate the pdfs.

Thanks
Ramakrishnan

Patrick May

Sep 26, 2009, 4:28:41 PM9/26/09
vu3rdd <vu3...@gmail.com> writes:
> I plan to take a printout of the book "On Lisp" which is available for
> free download from Paul Graham's website. In the webpage, it is
> mentioned that 9 figures are missing. On a quick glance, I could find
> only 7 of them missing, not 9, namely: 5.7, 20.2, 22.11, 23.2, 23.6,
> 24.1 and 25.2.
>
> Considering the fact that these figures are programs writen in ascii
> text, can someone who own the dead tree version of the book post those
> missing programs?

"Figure 5.7: Lists as trees." is just a diagram showing the lists
(a . b), (a b c), and (a b (c d)) rendered as trees.

"Figure 20.2: Two Trees." is another pair of circle and line
drawings of trees, which are shown as lists on page 262.

"Figure 22.11: A directed graph with a loop." is a circle and arrow
drawing of a DAG, with nodes a, b, and c forming a loop and edges going
from a to d and d to e.

"Figure 23.2: Graph of a small ATN." is a simple oval and arrow
drawing of a node s with an edge labeled "noun" to node s2 which in turn
has an edge labeled "verb" to node s3. s and s2 are ovals with solid
lines, s3 is an oval with a dashed line.

"Figure 23.6: Graph of a larger ATN." is a larger oval and arrow
drawing showing noun phrases, pronounds, prepositions, etc.

"Figure 24.1: Layers of abstraction." looks something like this
(view with a fixed-width font):

prolog programs

prolog

nondeterministic choice
pattern-matching
continuation-passing macros

lisp + utilities

"Figure 25.2: Multiple paths to a superclass." shows the standard
multiple inheritance diamond of death with class a inheriting from both
b and c, each of which inherit from d.

Regards,

Patrick

http://www.softwarematters.org
Large scale, mission-critical, distributed OO systems design and
implementation. (C++, Java, Common Lisp, Jini, middleware, SOA)

vu3rdd

Sep 27, 2009, 1:48:00 AM9/27/09
Thanks Patrick.

--