XLISP, XLISP-PLUS and XLISP-STAT

Robert Posey

Jan 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/14/00
Dear Gentle Persons,

I have done a short search of free or cheap LISP systems for windows and so far
I am convinced that these are the best of the common ones. However, I am a
little short of understanding the differences. Is Xlisp-PLUS simply an
extension
of XLISP, and is there any reason to use XLISP instead of XLISP_PLUS. The next
questions is why I wouldn't want to use XLISP_STAT which has some nice math
extensions. What is the down side to using this enhanced versions? Did I miss
a good windows(98) based development system that is free or at least <100$.

Muddy

Robert Monfera

Jan 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/14/00
to Robert Posey

Hi Muddy,

Did you check CLISP, POPLOG Lisp or Corman Lisp? All of them purport to
conform to the ANSI Common Lisp standard. Also, isn't Raytheon using a
commercial Common Lisp environment already?

Robert

Sam Steingold

Jan 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/14/00

>> Did I miss a good windows(98) based development system that is free
>> or at least <100$.

You might want to consider clisp (http://clisp.cons.org), an ANSI Common
Lisp (no member of XLISP family is ANSI), licensed under the GPL.

look at http://www.lisp.org for more information

--
Sam Steingold (http://www.podval.org/~sds/)
Micros**t is not the answer. Micros**t is a question, and the answer is Linux,

David McClain

Jan 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/15/00
Did someone say Raytheon?

I work for Raytheon Systems Co. in Tucson, AZ. We use Harlequin Common Lisp
at the present time, and we have used Franz in the past. Our group of active
users is small (3 of us) and I welcome any interaction on the topic.

David McClain, Sr. Scientist
Raytheon Systems Co.
Tucson, AZ

Robert Monfera <mon...@fisec.com> wrote in message

Reini Urban

Jan 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/17/00
David McClain wrote:
>Did someone say Raytheon?
>
>I work for Raytheon Systems Co. in Tucson, AZ. We use Harlequin Common Lisp
>at the present time, and we have used Franz in the past. Our group of active
>users is small (3 of us) and I welcome any interaction on the topic.

The original poster, Muddy, had this in his header:
and his email was mu...@raytheon.com
That's why Bob assumed that Muddy is working for Raytheon Systems but it
must have been just a nameclash.

I would get pretty upset if some other company uses our name (x-ray) but
it happens all the time :)

>David McClain, Sr. Scientist
>Raytheon Systems Co.
>Tucson, AZ

>Robert Monfera <mon...@fisec.com> wrote in message

>> Also, isn't Raytheon using a
>> commercial Common Lisp environment already?

--
Reini Urban, rur...@x-ray.at http://www.x-ray.at/

Marco Antoniotti

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00

Last I checked, XLISP was not (yet) a full Common Lisp. You would be
better off with other alternatives.

Cheers

http://www.parades.rm.cnr.it/~marcoxa

see.signature

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
On 18 Jan 2000 12:54:23 +0100, Marco Antoniotti
<mar...@parades.rm.cnr.it> wrote:

>Last I checked, XLISP was not (yet) a full Common Lisp. You would be
>better off with other alternatives.

This depends on your needs.
XLISP-STAT is a nice environment, although not full Common Lisp. But it
has (is):

- good, extensive documentation in a book, a technical report and
on www pages
- a lot of math stuff built in
- extensive statistics modules availiable
- a prototype object system
- a graphics subsystem
- a simple gui system
- offers extensions to ffi and native pointers
- a socket and regexp extension
- works on mac, win, linux, vax, ...

email: marc dot hoffmann at users dot whh dot wau dot nl

Robert Posey

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00

Reini Urban wrote:

> David McClain wrote:
> >Did someone say Raytheon?
> >
> >I work for Raytheon Systems Co. in Tucson, AZ. We use Harlequin Common Lisp
> >at the present time, and we have used Franz in the past. Our group of active
> >users is small (3 of us) and I welcome any interaction on the topic.
>
> The original poster, Muddy, had this in his header:
> and his email was mu...@raytheon.com
> That's why Bob assumed that Muddy is working for Raytheon Systems but it
> must have been just a nameclash.
>
> I would get pretty upset if some other company uses our name (x-ray) but
> it happens all the time :)

I indeed do work at Raytheon Systems Company(I think the name changes), in
Plano, Tx. I am part of the Defense group that was part of TI until they
sold us out. My current and likely future need for LISP however is educational
and not directly related to Raytheon. I think I will be wise to use the version
of CLISP that SMU has on its machines, despite the fact there maybe better
systems.
The professor implied we would be making extensive use of libraries and thus I
would assume there are potential problems with using different development
systems.
Since there doesn't seem to be a dominate vendor/provider of a LISP system, I
doubt there is a lot of support for migration like there is for VC++ or Gcc.

Muddy

Erik Naggum

Jan 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/18/00
* Robert Posey <mu...@raytheon.com>

| Since there doesn't seem to be a dominate vendor/provider of a LISP
| system, I doubt there is a lot of support for migration like there is for
| VC++ or Gcc.

there is. Common Lisp vendors take very good care of their customers,
and if they can help you overcome your association with another vendor,
they are likely to take very good care of you while in transition.
that's why competition is so great.

however, related to the question to which you assume you have the same
answer you would have for VC++ and GCC: you don't _need_ much help to
migrate from one Common Lisp implementation to another. that's one thing
that is really great about the language: it's actually complete enough to
do useful things in the language itself. imagine that!

#:Erik