Visual Lisp ++

Fernando Mato Mira

Jun 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/22/99
jamie wrote:

> Visual Lisp++

:-P

Erik Naggum

Jun 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/22/99
* "jamie" <ja...@insistdance.demon.co.uk>
| I guess this may seem like a daft request, but considering the explosion
| of GUI based integrated development environments on the (PC, Microsoft
| VisualStudio, IBM Visual Age and Borland Delphi, C++, J++ builder) is
| there a Lisp development environment that might be call something like
| Visual Lisp ++ ???

this is actually quite alarming. "++" has become a mark of quality, or
at least something to be desired, however bad the starting point was.
what's next? "Kosovo++"? or would that be "Visual NATO++ - proactive
defense, as seen on TV!"?

now, there actually exist GUI IDE's for Common Lisp that look like what
GUI people seem to expect. warning: they still use parentheses, not the
nice colors you might want. try www.franz.com for their Windows port.

#:Erik
--
@1999-07-22T00:37:33Z -- pi billion seconds since the turn of the century

Kucera, Rich

Jun 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/22/99
It will be called "Genera" and will be used to model the "hole in the
ozone layer".
Every OS function will be available to the naked eye and it will
cost...one million dollars :)
-Dr Evil

Tim Bradshaw

Jun 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/22/99
"jamie" <ja...@insistdance.demon.co.uk> writes:

> I guess this may seem like a daft request, but considering the explosion =
> of GUI based integrated development environments on the (PC, Microsoft =
> VisualStudio, IBM Visual Age and Borland Delphi, C++, J++ builder) is =
> there a Lisp development environment that might be call something like =
> Visual Lisp ++ ???

I think you are lookong for Visual (incf Lisp)

Fernando Mato Mira

Jun 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/22/99
Actually, I remember this '80s paper about this _REALLY_visual_ Lisp..

Dan L. Pierson

Jun 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/22/99
Erik Naggum <er...@naggum.no> wrote:
> this is actually quite alarming. "++" has become a mark of quality, or
> at least something to be desired, however bad the starting point was.

Remember Guy Steele's decoding of C++: Take C, "improve it", throw
that away and use the original :-)

Dan Pierson, Control Technology Corporation
d...@control.com

Kent M Pitman

Jun 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/22/99
Tim Bradshaw <t...@tfeb.org> writes:

Actually, I think you mean

(let ((lisp 'trusty-old-lisp))
(macrolet ((visual (x) x) ;visual = "for show, no change in semantics"
(++ (x) ;++ = "augment language, but ignore any added value"
`(prog1 ,x (ignore-errors (incf ,x)))))
(visual (++ lisp))))

Fernando Mato Mira

Jun 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/22/99

Kent M Pitman wrote:

> (macrolet ((visual (x) x) ;visual = "for show, no change in semantics"
> (++ (x) ;++ = "augment language, but ignore any added value"
> `(prog1 ,x (ignore-errors (incf ,x)))))
> (visual (++ lisp))))

Get rid of that visual macro. If you use CLIM, (++ lisp) _is_ visual.

Johan Kullstam

Jun 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/22/99
"jamie" <ja...@insistdance.demon.co.uk> writes:

> ------=_NextPart_000_04E8_01BEBC8F.6EA820D0

> I guess this may seem like a daft request, but considering the explosion =
> of GUI based integrated development environments on the (PC, Microsoft =
> VisualStudio, IBM Visual Age and Borland Delphi, C++, J++ builder) is =
> there a Lisp development environment that might be call something like =
> Visual Lisp ++ ???
>

> ------=_NextPart_000_04E8_01BEBC8F.6EA820D0

[snip load of html garbage]

forget visual lisp; think about getting a decent newreader/poster.
what's all this gratuitous html doing here?

--
johan kullstam

Eugene Zaikonnikov

Jun 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/22/99

> forget visual lisp; think about getting a decent newreader/poster.
> what's all this gratuitous html doing here?

It's a Microsoft approach to Usenet: Outlook posts messages HTMLized by
default. Although they left an option to work with plain text.
Another nasty thing: it uses TrueType fonts to display messages, so if one
wants to enjoy some advanced .sig, he should set fixed font manually.

--
Eugene

Reini Urban

Jun 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/23/99
btw: autodesk currently holds the trademarks for
"Visual Lisp" and "Lisp++". too late :)

the acl5 interface builder is very vb alike if you're looking for that.
other lisps are also as "visual" as you like it. (genera, lww, clim,
garnet, ...)
--
Reini

Tim Bradshaw

Jun 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/23/99
Johan Kullstam <kull...@ne.mediaone.net> writes:

> forget visual lisp; think about getting a decent newreader/poster.
> what's all this gratuitous html doing here?

That's `Microsoft visual news++' I think.

--tim

Fernando

Jun 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/26/99
On Wed, 23 Jun 1999 01:22:28 GMT, rur...@xarch.tu-graz.ac.at (Reini
Urban) wrote:

>btw: autodesk currently holds the trademarks for
>"Visual Lisp" and "Lisp++". too late :)
>
>the acl5 interface builder is very vb alike if you're looking for that.

Yes but pricing is a bit insane, no? At least, not very "vb alike"...

>other lisps are also as "visual" as you like it. (genera, lww, clim,
>garnet, ...)
>--
>Reini

// Fernando Rodriguez Romero
//
// frr at mindless dot com

Reini Urban

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99

spa...@must.die (Fernando) wrote:
>Yes but pricing is a bit insane, no? At least, not very "vb alike"...

not really.

Bruce Tobin

Jun 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM6/27/99
jamie wrote:

> I guess this may seem like a daft request, but considering the

> explosion of GUI based integrated development environments on the (PC,
> Microsoft VisualStudio, IBM Visual Age and Borland Delphi, C++, J++
> builder) is there a Lisp development environment that might be call
> something like Visual Lisp ++ ???

Allegro CL 5 for Windows has a very nice GUI environment; better than
Visual Studio IMO, though not quite as nice as Delphi, from which it
borrows a lot of its look-and-feel. A free version is available at

http://www.franz.com