inspect

Frode Vatvedt Fjeld

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00

Are there functions to access the same information that I can dig up
interactively with INSPECT?

For example, in ACL, I can (interactively) inspect a compiled
function, and retrieve its machine-code (vector) object through the
function's CODE cell. Is there some function I can use to obtain the
same information programmatically, like

(get-cell-or-something #'myfun 'code) => #<CODE vector object>

Thanks,
--
Frode Vatvedt Fjeld

Erik Naggum

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
* Frode Vatvedt Fjeld <fro...@acm.org>

| Are there functions to access the same information that I can dig up
| interactively with INSPECT?

usually, but not necessarily.

| For example, in ACL, I can (interactively) inspect a compiled function,
| and retrieve its machine-code (vector) object through the function's CODE
| cell. Is there some function I can use to obtain the same information
| programmatically, like
|
| (get-cell-or-something #'myfun 'code) => #<CODE vector object>

some of these slots are so low-level that there aren't any regular
CL-level code to access them. however, the code for the inspector is
part of the source code offering that comes with a regular license.

it seems that you're digging so deep into Allegro CL that you would
benefit from Franz Inc's excellent support, and I think it's fair to pay
for a license. I could argue that it's not in the best interest of the
continued existence free versions that people reverse-engineer a free
product -- it may turn out to be hostile to the commercial operation
whose profitability spawned the ability to give something away...

however, you should check out the results of (apropos "_CODE").

#:Erik