Does Common Lisp have a socket library?

Chang Cheng Chao

Feb 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/11/98

Hi, everyone, does Common Lisp have a socket library. If it does, how do I
import it? I need it to output data from Lisp to Java in order to display
it in a web-browser. Thanks for your help.

Chang

David J Cooper Jr

Feb 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/11/98
 If all you need to do is display info in a web browser, cl-http (http://www.ai.mit.edu/projects/iiip/doc/cl-http/home-page.html)   might be your ticket.

  I would also be interested to know what people are using for actual Java-Lisp client-server connections, there must be better things than low-level socket programming though.

  I know ICAD (based on Allegro CL) is doing a Java API using Orbix CORBA Orb, but I think it's pretty specific to ICAD as it will include a Java3D geometry viewer and other things.  There must be something similar brewing somewhere for standard CL though (maybe as part of cl-http -- they claim Java support, but I haven't yet looked into what they actually mean by that).

--
David J. Cooper Jr.                                 Genworks International
dcoo...@genworks.com                               http://www.genworks.com

  "...Embracing an Open Systems approach to Knowledge-based Engineering..."

Erik Naggum

Feb 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/11/98

* Chang Cheng Chao

| Hi, everyone, does Common Lisp have a socket library. If it does, how do
| I import it? I need it to output data from Lisp to Java in order to
| display it in a web-browser. Thanks for your help.

which Common Lisp implementation do you use? for Allegro CL for Unix,
you will find a socket library at ftp.franz.com in /pub/socket.

the CLX sources come with a simple foreign function interface to socket
code in C, and I expect all Lisp implementations to have CLX ported to
them. this could be a start if you can't find a full-fledged library.

#:Erik