Steele

Malcy

Oct 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/28/99

Well i wonder what you folks think about the fact that Guy L. Steele Jr. is
working on Java these days (not to mention Gosling which was responsible for
early Emacs). Doesnt that feels alarming at least?

--

mailto:mg...@chat.ru

Erik Naggum

Oct 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/28/99
* Malcy <mg...@chat.ru>

| Well i wonder what you folks think about the fact that Guy L. Steele
| Jr. is working on Java these days [...].

that Steele is genuinely interested in language design and that we were
fortunate to have his skills, intelligence, and guidance at a crucial
time in the development of Common Lisp.

what I find alarming is the deeply uninteresting nature of an increasing
number of _questions_ in this newsgroup.

#:Erik

William Deakin

Oct 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/28/99
Dear Erik,

This is an open letter prompted by your comments:

Erik Naggum wrote:

> what I find alarming is the deeply uninteresting nature of an increasing
> number of _questions_ in this newsgroup.

It would be a great loss to this newgroup, and to me in particular, if the
nature of these questions, or anything else for that matter, discourages you
from taking any further part in c.l.l.

Best Regards,

:) will

Christopher R. Barry

Oct 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/28/99
Malcy <mg...@chat.ru> writes:

> Well i wonder what you folks think about the fact that Guy L. Steele Jr. is

> working on Java these days (not to mention Gosling which was responsible for
> early Emacs). Doesnt that feels alarming at least?

He still speaks at major Lisp events like the LUGM. (Failing illness.)
He also wrote a paper not too long ago talking about qualities that
Java needs that Common Lisp has. (Or something like that; a DejaNews
search of c.l.l should turn it up.)

Christopher

Malcy

Oct 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/28/99

Thanks for the reference, but i read it. Id also like to note that my question
arise exactly after reading it.

--
mailto:mg...@chat.ru

Russell Senior

Oct 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/28/99

>> [...] He also wrote a paper not too long ago talking about

>> qualities that Java needs that Common Lisp has. (Or something like
>> that; a DejaNews search of c.l.l should turn it up.)

Malcy> Thanks for the reference, but i read it. Id also like to note
Malcy> that my question arise exactly after reading it.

Ah! You read it, but did you catch the error?

I think the title of the paper is `Growing a Language', and the
version I read was dated before January 1, 1999. If your version is
dated after that, the error may have been corrected.

--
Russell Senior ``The two chiefs turned to each other.
sen...@teleport.com Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible

Malcy

Oct 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/29/99
Russell Senior <sen...@teleport.com> writes:

> Malcy> Thanks for the reference, but i read it. Id also like to note
> Malcy> that my question arise exactly after reading it.
>
> Ah! You read it, but did you catch the error?
>
> I think the title of the paper is `Growing a Language', and the
> version I read was dated before January 1, 1999. If your version is
> dated after that, the error may have been corrected.

Hmmm. Read it this in august IIRC. No havent noticed the error,
what was it?

--
mailto:mg...@chat.ru

Paolo Amoroso

Oct 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/29/99
On 28 Oct 1999 02:37:46 +0400, Malcy <mg...@chat.ru> wrote:

> Well i wonder what you folks think about the fact that Guy L. Steele Jr. is
> working on Java these days (not to mention Gosling which was responsible for
> early Emacs). Doesnt that feels alarming at least?

What's so alarming about a versatile genius? Did the scientific community
feel alarmed when James Clerk Maxwell turned to electromagnetism after
working on the stability of Saturn's rings? :)

What is really alarming is the increasing frequency of threads questioning
the survival of Lisp.

Paolo

Eugene Zaikonnikov

Oct 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/29/99
Paolo Amoroso wrote:

> What is really alarming is the increasing frequency of threads questioning
> the survival of Lisp.

That is not really alarming. Actually, I'd be worried if at one moment I
wouldn't see a couple of such threads :)
Perhaps we should intentionally keep alive "Is Lisp Dying", to save
effort for some of newcomers.

--
Eugene.

Janos Blazi

Oct 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/29/99
Should I start it again (under som alias name perhaps)?

Eugene Zaikonnikov <vik...@cit.org.by> schrieb in im Newsbeitrag:
3819A01D...@cit.org.by...

David J. Cooper

Oct 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM10/29/99
Janos Blazi wrote:

> Should I start it again (under som alias name perhaps)?

No.