Newbie Question about how to Pack and distribute

anders

Jan 11, 2009, 4:40:40 PM1/11/09
I am planing to write a program for a bigger project, becurse it is a
hobby-project i can choose language, and i have wanted to make
somthing i LISP for a long time, and in the same time learn the
language.

I have som question that i can't find any good answer so if some one
with more skill than me could help i would be were tankfull.

Plattform is Windows

Witch LISP should i select ?
IDE, Editor etc is rekommended. ?
Witch GUI System is rekommended ?

After the project is ready, i would be nice if i can pack it all inom
som kind of installation, so a user can just run a installation and
use the program, is there any good way of doing this?

Becurse this is a Hobby thing, i don't have mony to by stuff as
Allergro or LispWorks.

Message has been deleted

anders

Jan 11, 2009, 6:00:26 PM1/11/09
On 11 Jan, 23:24, Francogrex <fra...@grex.org> wrote:

> On 11 jan, 22:40, anders <anders.u.pers...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > After the project is ready, i would be nice if i can pack it all inom
> > som kind of installation, so a user can just run a installation and
> > use the program, is there any good way of doing this?
>
> I recommend ECL, it is one of the best out there. And you'll be able
> to pack standalone executables that run very fast (they're translated
> to C and compiled). Other implementations also support delivering
> standalone executables but they're either slower and/or the size of
> the executable is larger. I'd still would like to test the exes
> produced by Lispworks Professional (commercial) Edition, seems
> interesting, but the price of the lispworks's commercial edition is
> much less interesting if you get my drift.
> For an editor I recommend Emacs.

Thanks, start to install it.
mvh Anders

Message has been deleted

WalterGR

Jan 12, 2009, 5:40:35 AM1/12/09
On Jan 11, 1:40 pm, anders <anders.u.pers...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Witch LISP should i select ?
> IDE, Editor etc is rekommended. ?
> Witch GUI System is rekommended ?

Is this your post from July of last year:

> i have tried LISP and like the interactive way of development.
> On LISP i can make a runtime, with for example with SBCL, witch
> i can run.
>
> So with EMACS, SLIME and SBCL i can step by step develop my
> program, and then "compile" it to release...

http://groups.google.com/group/clojure/browse_thread/thread/5259280f2fd8c8a5/

Did you find Emacs or SBCL lacking? If there are reasons, perhaps
people could direct you to something more appropriate. Though maybe
you're just seeing if things have changed in the past 6 months...

In terms of FOSS IDEs, you can also check out Eclipse + CUSP. [1]
There's also ABLE, but it doesn't have debugger integration. [2] I
haven't used either so I can't evaluate them.

> After the project is ready, i would be nice if i can pack it all inom
> som kind of installation, so a user can just run a installation and
> use the program, is there any good way of doing this?

To my knowledge there are no (free) installer-creators that are Lisp
specific. What you'd need to do is find a Lisp compiler that can
generate a Windows EXE, then use separate software that generates a
Windows installer. For a list of installer creators, see

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_installation_software#Microsoft_Windows

That's the "right way" to do it. There are easier ways if you don't
need all the functionality that installers offer.

Walter

[1] http://www.bitfauna.com/projects/cusp/
[2] http://phil.nullable.eu/

WalterGR

Jan 12, 2009, 8:44:45 AM1/12/09
On Jan 12, 2:40 am, WalterGR <walte...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What you'd need to do is find a Lisp compiler that can
> generate a Windows EXE, then use separate software that generates a
> Windows installer.

Actually, to correct myself: that's not necessarily true. e.g. you
could bundle a Lisp interpreter with the code, and put that into an
installer. My core point was that you don't need something Lisp-
specific to make an installer.

Walter