How can I force GCL to print in lower case?

David Finton

Apr 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/3/95
Is there a system variable I can set which will force GCL to
print in lower case? For example, if I want to print out
a list (1 2 3 t e) I get: (1 2 3 T E), which I don't want.

In Allegro Common Lisp, we compiled it with an option which
gave lower-case output as the default. Well, I have a GCL
binary, and I'm not in a position to recompile it, so I'm
hoping there's a switch somewhere which would have the same
effect.

Thanks in advance,

David Finton

Erik Naggum

Apr 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/3/95
[David Finton]

| Is there a system variable I can set which will force GCL to print in
| lower case? For example, if I want to print out a list (1 2 3 t e) I
| get: (1 2 3 T E), which I don't want.

looks like you want to bind *PRINT-CASE* to :DOWNCASE.

| In Allegro Common Lisp, we compiled it with an option which gave
| lower-case output as the default. Well, I have a GCL binary, and I'm
| not in a position to recompile it, so I'm hoping there's a switch
| somewhere which would have the same effect.

the above is described in CLtL1.

#<Erik>
--
the greatest obstacle to communication
is the illusion that it has already taken place

Barry Margolin

Apr 10, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/10/95
In article <30059377...@naggum.no> Erik Naggum <er...@naggum.no> writes:
>[David Finton]

>| Is there a system variable I can set which will force GCL to print in
>| lower case? For example, if I want to print out a list (1 2 3 t e) I
>| get: (1 2 3 T E), which I don't want.

>looks like you want to bind *PRINT-CASE* to :DOWNCASE.

Since *PRINT-CASE* is a relatively recent addition to Common Lisp, GCL
might not have it. In that case, you can use the ~(...~) controls in
FORMAT to force output to lower case.
--
Barry Margolin
BBN Planet Corporation, Cambridge, MA

William Paul Vrotney

Apr 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/11/95
In article <3mc3en$6...@tools.near.net> bar...@nic.near.net (Barry Margolin) writes:

> In article <30059377...@naggum.no> Erik Naggum <er...@naggum.no> writes:
> >[David Finton]
>
> >| Is there a system variable I can set which will force GCL to print in
> >| lower case? For example, if I want to print out a list (1 2 3 t e) I
> >| get: (1 2 3 T E), which I don't want.
>
> >looks like you want to bind *PRINT-CASE* to :DOWNCASE.
>
> Since *PRINT-CASE* is a relatively recent addition to Common Lisp, GCL
> might not have it. In that case, you can use the ~(...~) controls in
> FORMAT to force output to lower case.
> --

GCL version 1.1 has *PRINT-CASE*.

--

William P. Vrotney - vro...@netcom.com

Erik Naggum

Apr 11, 1995, 3:00:00 AM4/11/95
[William Paul Vrotney]

while we're at it, AKCL version 1.530, compiled on April 26, 1991, also has
*PRINT-CASE*. that's the oldest running version of any *KCL I have around.
GCL 1.0 also had it.

this is not intended to detract from the useful advice about ~(...~).

#<Erik>
--
sufficiently advanced political correctness is indistinguishable from irony