CLOS versus C++

Frank Schnekenburger

Nov 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/21/95
Hello,

I'm doing a small report comparing the object oriented features of C++
and CLOS. I come from a C++ background and have spent some time getting
up to speed on CLOS. I'm impressed by its extensibility and flexability.

A question I have is "What types of real-world applications are being
developed in CLOS, and what specific features of CLOS make it suitable
for those apps". If you develop apps in CLOS, I'd appreciate hearing
from you. Thanks very much.

Frank.

Frank Schnekenburger
Provincial Tree Improvement Analyst
Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources

Erik Naggum

Nov 21, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/21/95
[Frank Schnekenburger]

| I'm doing a small report comparing the object oriented features of C++
| and CLOS. I come from a C++ background and have spent some time getting
| up to speed on CLOS. I'm impressed by its extensibility and flexability.

you may find the book Object-Oriented Programming, the CLOS perspective,
edited by Andreas Paepcke, MIT press, 1993, ISBN 0-262-16136-2 a useful
addition to your research. it has a paper on comparing CLOS and C++ by
Linda G. DeMichiel. it may be somewhat dated, considering that C++ has
been suffering a bad case of cancerous growth in ISO.

#<Erik 3025986069>
--
"if you know what you want and you don't go out and do it yourself,
you're basically a loser, you know." -- Björk.

Steven Perryman

Nov 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/23/95
In article <48sslo$7...@govonca3.gov.on.ca> sch...@gov.on.ca (Frank Schnekenburger) writes:

> A question I have is "What types of real-world applications are being
> developed in CLOS"

The ESPRIT project Multiworks (multimedia workstation) use CLOS/Lisp as part
of its distributed application environment (Harlequin LispWorks ?? ) .

That is/was quite a big project.

Regards,
Steven Perryman
perr...@cpd.ntc.nokia.com

Luca Pisati

Nov 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/24/95
Nichimen Graphics sells a full 2D/3D animation package running on SGI
(Silicon Graphics), built entirely in Lisp with CLOS. We run on Franz's
Allegro (check http://www.franz.com) rel. 4.2.

It's as fast as C++ applications, but much more flexible thanx to CLOS.
The UI interface is, in particular, more elaborate and simple to use than
other Computer Graphics packages. Any customization is straightforward for
everybody: internal developers and customers.

Check http://www.nichimen.com/ if you want to know more.

--

Luca Pisati Nichimen Graphics Inc.
12555 West Jefferson Blvd. Suite 285, Los Angeles, CA 90066

Marco Antoniotti

Nov 30, 1995, 3:00:00 AM11/30/95

From: sch...@gov.on.ca (Frank Schnekenburger)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.clos,comp.lang.lisp
Date: 21 Nov 1995 15:53:28 GMT

Hello,

I'm doing a small report comparing the object oriented features of C++
and CLOS. I come from a C++ background and have spent some time getting
up to speed on CLOS. I'm impressed by its extensibility and flexability.

A question I have is "What types of real-world applications are being

developed in CLOS, and what specific features of CLOS make it suitable
for those apps". If you develop apps in CLOS, I'd appreciate hearing
from you. Thanks very much.

What about WWW servers and clients? Check out

http://www.ai.mit.edu/projects/iiip/doc/cl-http/home-page.html

Cheers
--
Marco Antoniotti - Resistente Umano
International Computer Science Institute | mar...@icsi.berkeley.edu

Sunil Mishra

Dec 1, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/1/95
In article <s08enup...@lox.ICSI.Berkeley.EDU> mar...@lox.icsi.berkeley.edu (Marco Antoniotti) writes:
\\
\\ What about WWW servers and clients? Check out
\\
\\ http://www.ai.mit.edu/projects/iiip/doc/cl-http/home-page.html
\\
\\ Cheers

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but isn't this only a server? I did not see any
reference to a client, though it was a rather cursory glance.

Sunil

Marco Antoniotti

Dec 6, 1995, 3:00:00 AM12/6/95

From: smi...@gaia.cc.gatech.edu (Sunil Mishra)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.clos,comp.lang.lisp
Date: 01 Dec 1995 02:54:38 GMT

You are right. It is mostly a server, though some CLIM code is
available (obviously for thise who have CLIM).