Resources & Compilers

Paulo J. Matos aka PDestroy

Oct 27, 2000, 4:35:20 PM10/27/00
I'd like to start on LISP.
I already know Scheme and since Scheme is a dialect of Lisp I suspect that
the are similar.
I would like the best net resources, reference books and an IDE or a
compiler for windows. I need sugestions...

TIA,
Best regards,

--
Paulo J. Matos aka PDestroy
http://www.pdestroy.net

--
You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm.
- Colette

Rainer Joswig

Oct 27, 2000, 7:46:47 PM10/27/00
In article <8tcsg7$p6d$1...@venus.telepac.pt>, "Paulo J. Matos aka
PDestroy" <pdes...@netcabo.pt> wrote:

See http://www.lisp.org/ .

--
Rainer Joswig, Hamburg, Germany
Email: mailto:jos...@corporate-world.lisp.de

Erik Naggum

Oct 28, 2000, 5:52:23 AM10/28/00
* "Paulo J. Matos aka PDestroy" <pdes...@netcabo.pt>

| I'd like to start on LISP.

I think that's a very good idea, as long as you mean Common Lisp.
(It was spelled "LISP" in ancient times, like many other acronyms
that were capitalized. These days, it's spelled "Lisp".)

| I already know Scheme and since Scheme is a dialect of Lisp I suspect that
| the are similar.

I think these are very bad ideas. Knowing Scheme is harmful to
using other languages efficiently. Thinking that other languages
are like Scheme is harmful to learning them. Generally speaking.
It depends of course on how many bad habits you picked up from
Scheme, but it is a language that rewards the bad while trying to
teach some good. E.g., if you want iteration, use iteration, don't
just _call_ it recursion and hope you have tail call merging so it
becomes iteration. In general, recursion is good if you don't
traverse something in only one direction. Scheme teaches recursion
mostly for traversing structures in only one direction, and that's
an incredible waste.

| I would like the best net resources, reference books and an IDE or a
| compiler for windows. I need sugestions...

www.alu.org

I would personally suggest the Allegro CL environment from Franz
Inc. The trial edition for Windows includes the IDE, but has a few
restrictions to force you to purchase a license instead of using it
for commercial development. These may get in the way at times.

#:Erik
--
Does anyone remember where I parked Air Force One?
-- George W. Bush

Paolo Amoroso

Oct 28, 2000, 3:23:08 PM10/28/00
On Fri, 27 Oct 2000 22:35:20 +0200, "Paulo J. Matos aka PDestroy"
<pdes...@netcabo.pt> wrote:

> I'd like to start on LISP.

[...]

> I would like the best net resources, reference books and an IDE or a
> compiler for windows. I need sugestions...

Here are a few suggestions:

ALU (Association of Lisp Users)
http://www.alu.org/

CLiki (Common Lisp--for Unix--resources)
http://ww.telent.net/cliki/

Common Lisp: A Gentle Introduction to Symbolic Computation
(introductory book--may be freely downloaded)
http://www.cs.cmu.edu:80/afs/cs.cmu.edu/user/dst/www/LispBook/index.html

Successful Lisp (introductory online) book
http://psg.com/~dlamkins/left/sl/sl.html

Paolo

Paulo J. Matos aka PDestroy

Oct 28, 2000, 3:20:13 PM10/28/00
It may seem strange but I couldn't find a compiler for windows at
www.alu.org.
Only debuggers, editors, etc..
Where can I find a compiler for CLisp in MS Windows or DOS?

Best regards,

--
Paulo J. Matos aka PDestroy
http://www.pdestroy.net

--
Gravitation cannot be held responsible by people falling in love.
- Einstein, Albert
"Paulo J. Matos aka PDestroy" <pdes...@netcabo.pt> wrote in message

Ravensara Siobhan Travillian

Oct 29, 2000, 12:57:58 AM10/29/00
On Sat, 28 Oct 2000, Paulo J. Matos aka PDestroy wrote:

> It may seem strange but I couldn't find a compiler for windows at
> www.alu.org.
> Only debuggers, editors, etc..
> Where can I find a compiler for CLisp in MS Windows or DOS?

Hi, Paulo--

Try ftp://ftp2.cons.org/pub/lisp/clisp/binaries/win32/

/Raven

Paulo J. Matos aka PDestroy

Oct 29, 2000, 4:23:44 AM10/29/00
Thanks...

--
We don't fall in love with looks because looks always fade with time. We
fall in love with souls because souls are forever.
"Ravensara Siobhan Travillian" <rave...@u.washington.edu> wrote in message