Lisp Job: Braintree Massachusetts

my-las...@mediaone.net

Sep 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/7/99
Startup opportunity. 3-tier change management software. Lisp application
server. Some java (browser-based AWT exp. a big plus!), but mostly we use lisp.

For those of you who've seen my previous posts, note that we've spun off a new
company based on our leading edge change-set based technology for managing
change, and after one month in business we even have our first enterprise
customer. Prospects are *very* good.

I'm looking for people who can make a startup happen. That means:

1) you write mission critical robust code
2) you crank it out quickly
3) you work as hard as it takes
4) we pay competitively, but you're in it for the stock

Full time permanent preferred, other situations considered but the
work must be done 80% on site right now, primarily so we can enjoy that time of
intense creativity and brainstorming which drives the team to successful
solutions.

We're right on the red line for you Cambridge commuters.

Email Contact:

(concatenate 'string "tenny"
;; anti-spam device
"@"
"mediaone.net")

D. Tenny
my-las...@mediaone.net - no spam please

Marco Antoniotti

Sep 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/7/99

my-las...@mediaone.net writes:

> I'm looking for people who can make a startup happen. That means:
>
> 1) you write mission critical robust code
> 2) you crank it out quickly

These are contradictory requirements :)

Cheers

http://www.parades.rm.cnr.it/~marcoxa

Rainer Joswig

Sep 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/7/99

> > I'm looking for people who can make a startup happen. That means:
> >
> > 1) you write mission critical robust code
> > 2) you crank it out quickly
>
> These are contradictory requirements :)

Not really.

It's just more expensive. ;-)

Duane Rettig

Sep 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/7/99
Marco Antoniotti <mar...@copernico.parades.rm.cnr.it> writes:

> my-las...@mediaone.net writes:
>
> > I'm looking for people who can make a startup happen. That means:
> >
> > 1) you write mission critical robust code
> > 2) you crank it out quickly
>
> These are contradictory requirements :)

Not in Lisp ...

--
Duane Rettig Franz Inc. http://www.franz.com/ (www)
1995 University Ave Suite 275 Berkeley, CA 94704

Paolo Amoroso

Sep 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/7/99
On Tue, 07 Sep 1999 09:44:13 GMT, my-las...@mediaone.net wrote:

> Startup opportunity. 3-tier change management software. Lisp application
> server. Some java (browser-based AWT exp. a big plus!), but mostly we use lisp.
>
> For those of you who've seen my previous posts, note that we've spun off a new
> company based on our leading edge change-set based technology for managing
> change, and after one month in business we even have our first enterprise
> customer. Prospects are *very* good.

I hope that Lisp's grave-diggers read this ;-) Best wishes to the company.

Paolo

Erik Naggum

Sep 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/7/99
* my-las...@mediaone.net

| I'm looking for people who can make a startup happen. That means:
|
| 1) you write mission critical robust code
| 2) you crank it out quickly

* Marco Antoniotti <mar...@copernico.parades.rm.cnr.it>

| These are contradictory requirements :)

not at all. however, there are important constraints on the complexity
of the problems that can be solved this way, and in particular on the
long-term value of the code thus written. I would expect such code to be
written once and then discarded instead of being maintained later, and
that there is time to reimplement things later, but getting it done and
functional and robust the first time around is not all that hard.

#:Erik
--
save the children: just say NO to sex with pro-lifers

Frank A. Adrian

Sep 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/7/99

Marco Antoniotti <mar...@copernico.parades.rm.cnr.it> wrote in message

> my-las...@mediaone.net writes:

> > I'm looking for people who can make a startup happen. That means:
> >
> > 1) you write mission critical robust code
> > 2) you crank it out quickly
>
> These are contradictory requirements :)

No. In general, the BEST way to reduce schedule pressure is to increase
quality. It reduces debugging and other rework time. If you want to
develop quickly, make sure you can write correct code.

Lisp (and other dynamic languages) helps to do this because you can make
design decisions when you actually have the data to do so, not forcing the
designer to guess them at the beginning of a "big-bang" design cycle. I'd
be willing to bet that a large amount of productivity derives from this
ability to avoid rework by using a JIT design philosophy.

OTOH, I would disagree with the phrase "crank it out quickly", as this seems
to connote a lack of thought process during the design, instead of stating
the need for someone who can make and implement the right design decisions
quickly and efficiently.

But what do I know? I'm not from Massachusetts, anyway :-)...

faa

Marco Antoniotti

Sep 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/8/99

"Frank A. Adrian" <fad...@uswest.net> writes:

> Marco Antoniotti <mar...@copernico.parades.rm.cnr.it> wrote in message
> >
> > my-las...@mediaone.net writes:

> > > I'm looking for people who can make a startup happen. That means:
> > >
> > > 1) you write mission critical robust code
> > > 2) you crank it out quickly
> >
> > These are contradictory requirements :)
>
> No. In general, the BEST way to reduce schedule pressure is to increase
> quality. It reduces debugging and other rework time. If you want to
> develop quickly, make sure you can write correct code.
>
> Lisp (and other dynamic languages) helps to do this because you can make
> design decisions when you actually have the data to do so, not forcing the
> designer to guess them at the beginning of a "big-bang" design cycle. I'd
> be willing to bet that a large amount of productivity derives from this
> ability to avoid rework by using a JIT design philosophy.

My remark was half serious :). But I like very much this point you just
made.