ODBC?!

Rainer Joswig

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99
Maybe you haven't read this announcement from Paul Meurer.

The Mac archive is available as:

<ftp://ftp.digitool.com/pub/mcl/contrib/sql-odbc-0.7.sea.bin>

If you experience connection problems try:

<ftp://204.57.57.88/pub/mcl/contrib/sql-odbc-0.7.sea.bin>

--------------------------

Hi,

I have written a portable SQL/ODBC module for Common Lisp which is slowly
reaching maturity.

The SQL/ODBC module contains five different packages:

SQL: A generic CL interface to SQL;
SQL-EXP: An extension of the CL syntax for writing SQL commands in a
lispish way;
FFC: Wrapper functions and macros for the foreign function interfaces of
MCL, LispWorks (Windows) and ACL (Windows). More ports are planned;
ODBC: A portable Common Lisp interface to the ODBC API;
DTF: An interface to the API of the DtF database (http://www.slab.de) for
MCL. (Here, a lot remains to be done.)

This code is free.
It has been tested in MCL 4.2 with Oracle 8.0 (running on Windows NT) and
DtF (on the same Mac), and in LispWorks/Windows 4.1 and Allegro Common
Lisp/Windows 5.0 with Oracle 8.0 and Solid Server (all on NT).
The overall architecture of the SQL and SQL-EXP packages is much inspired
by Harlequin LispWorks' SQL/ODBC module. I am very grateful to Harlequin
for allowing me to use their design in this free software. (Otherwise, the
implementation is totally independent from Harlequin's code.)

I have uploaded a compressed archive to Digitool's ftp site (sql-odbc
0.7.sit).

Paul Meurer

-------------

--
http://www.lavielle.com/~joswig

Marc Battyani

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99

Rainer Joswig <jos...@lavielle.com> wrote in message

>Maybe you haven't read this announcement from Paul Meurer.
>
>The Mac archive is available as:
>
><ftp://ftp.digitool.com/pub/mcl/contrib/sql-odbc-0.7.sea.bin>
>
>If you experience connection problems try:
>
><ftp://204.57.57.88/pub/mcl/contrib/sql-odbc-0.7.sea.bin>

That looks interesting.
But how can I unpack this file on a PC(NT)? (without buying a Mac...)

Marc Battyani

Paul Meurer

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99

Marc,

Why not buy a Mac ;-)?

Or: Try my ftp account: amirani.hit.uib.no, with anonymous login.
There you find a zip archive of the files. Or wait until version 0.75
is out (should be soon), where some bugs are fixed.

Paul

Paul Meurer at HIT UiB no
Humanities Information Technologies Centre,
University of Bergen
Allégaten 27, 5007 Bergen
Norway

Hannu Koivisto

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99
jos...@lavielle.com (Rainer Joswig) writes:

| Maybe you haven't read this announcement from Paul Meurer.

Who-la! Thanks for bringing this into our attention. Next time I
have to write database software, I know I can choose CL over
Python or C++. Yet another area covered with free software in CL
world.

| <ftp://ftp.digitool.com/pub/mcl/contrib/sql-odbc-0.7.sea.bin>

Hmm, anyone with Mac care to convert this into some other format
like .zip or .tar.gz? I tried to uncompress this on my Linux box
with macutils package's macunpack, but it complained
"""
This is "MacBinary" input.
This is a "StuffIt" self extracting archive.
folder="sql-odbc-0.7"
name="dtf-load.lisp", type=TEXT, author=CCL2, data=1240,
rsrc=479
Unknown compression methods: d d, skipping file.
"""

| FFC: Wrapper functions and macros for the foreign function interfaces of
| MCL, LispWorks (Windows) and ACL (Windows). More ports are planned;

Just out of curiosity: is ACL's FFI different in Windows and
Unix or does that "ACL (Windows)" perhaps just indicate where it
has been tested?

//Hannu

Paul Meurer

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99
On 04 Feb 1999 18:35:19 +0200, Hannu Koivisto <az...@iki.fi.ns> wrote:

Hannu,

>Hmm, anyone with Mac care to convert this into some other format
>like .zip or .tar.gz? I tried to uncompress this on my Linux box
>with macutils package's macunpack, but it complained
>"""

Try ftp to amirani.hit.uib.no with anonymous login.

>| FFC: Wrapper functions and macros for the foreign function interfaces of
>| MCL, LispWorks (Windows) and ACL (Windows). More ports are planned;
>
>Just out of curiosity: is ACL's FFI different in Windows and
>Unix or does that "ACL (Windows)" perhaps just indicate where it
>has been tested?

No, ACL Unix won't work. The FFIs are not very different, but they
are. I'll try to get it working on ACL/Linux once I find (time and) a
database with ODBC interface. (That is, I have Solid, which uses the
ODBC API, so that would work as well, although there is no ODBC driver
as such on Linux for it.)

Paul

Paul Meurer at HIT UiB no

Humanities Information Technologies,
University of Bergen
Allegt. 27
5007 Bergen, Norway

Hannu Koivisto

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99
Paul....@hit.uib.no (Paul Meurer) writes:

| Try ftp to amirani.hit.uib.no with anonymous login.

Thanks, got it.

| No, ACL Unix won't work. The FFIs are not very different, but they

Ok. [Not that I'm going to use ACL Unix for anything at the
moment, I was just curious.]

| are. I'll try to get it working on ACL/Linux once I find (time and) a
| database with ODBC interface. (That is, I have Solid, which uses the
| ODBC API, so that would work as well, although there is no ODBC driver
| as such on Linux for it.)

There isn't? I have used Solid only once on Linux long time ago
and I used Python's API, but here's a link you might want to
check out: <URL:http://users.ids.net/~bjepson/FreeODBC/>. That
page only mentions about a Solid iODBC driver for OS/2,
though :\ You might also want to consider an alternative
database, MySQL <URL:http://www.tcx.se/>, that has a
downloadable ODBC-driver.

MySQL is what I've been using last time and that plus CMUCL
should make a nice, speedy combination. When and if I have to do
database stuff next time, I'll have to look at interfacing your
package to CMUCL.

//Hannu

Robert Monfera

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99
> That looks interesting.
> But how can I unpack this file on a PC(NT)? (without buying a Mac...)

Get StuffIt.

Erik Naggum

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99
* Hannu Koivisto <az...@iki.fi.ns>

* Paul....@hit.uib.no (Paul Meurer)
| No, ACL Unix won't work. The FFIs are not very different, but they are.

| I'll try to get it working on ACL/Linux once I find (time and) a database
| with ODBC interface.

Allegro CL 5.0 unified the Windows and Unix offerings, so that the real
difference between Windows and Linux is the underlying operating system.
(the GUI builder and the IDE are still only offered under Windows, but
those do not affect code that does not use it.) considering what you say
about FFI, it therefore seems reasonable to assume that you have built
this with Allegro CL for Windows 3.0. if so, it is really disappointing.

#:Erik
--
SIGTHTBABW: a signal sent from Unix to its programmers at random
intervals to make them remember that There Has To Be A Better Way.

Paul Meurer

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99
On 04 Feb 1999 19:19:35 +0000, Erik Naggum <er...@naggum.no> wrote:

>* Paul....@hit.uib.no (Paul Meurer)
>| No, ACL Unix won't work. The FFIs are not very different, but they are.
>| I'll try to get it working on ACL/Linux once I find (time and) a database
>| with ODBC interface.
>
> Allegro CL 5.0 unified the Windows and Unix offerings, so that the real
> difference between Windows and Linux is the underlying operating system.
> (the GUI builder and the IDE are still only offered under Windows, but
> those do not affect code that does not use it.) considering what you say
> about FFI, it therefore seems reasonable to assume that you have built
> this with Allegro CL for Windows 3.0. if so, it is really disappointing.

Thanks for pointing this out.
Of course I am using ACL 5.0. But now as you are saying this (which I
theoretically was aware of), I see that I am using one or two
functions/macros from the ACL 3.0-compatibility package (like
ct:defun-dll). They don't hurt under NT, but in fact make that my code
really won't run under Unix. I'll have to throw them out, which should
be an easy exercise.