CADR lisp machina font for Linux-Unix

kod...@eurogaran.com

Jul 17, 2006, 8:07:21 AM7/17/06
I have re-created the font type and made it available at :
http://www.eurogaran.com/downloads/lispmfont
Enjoy.

Juanjo

Jul 17, 2006, 10:43:11 AM7/17/06

kod...@eurogaran.com wrote:
> I have re-created the font type and made it available at :
> http://www.eurogaran.com/downloads/lispmfont

Thansk for the fonts. Are there any screenshot available? :-)

Jj

Otto Diesenbacher

Jul 17, 2006, 12:20:12 PM7/17/06
kod...@eurogaran.com writes:

> http://www.eurogaran.com/downloads/lispmfont

great!

a little offtopic - but does anyone know of a method to convert these
fonts into truetype or PS-fonts to use them on the Mac?

bye

okflo
--
Otto Diesenbacher mailto:diesen...@gmail.com
Salzburg, Austria http://okflo.homelinux.net/

kod...@eurogaran.com

Aug 2, 2006, 9:02:38 AM8/2/06

Otto Diesenbacher wrote:
> kod...@eurogaran.com writes:
>
> > http://www.eurogaran.com/downloads/lispmfont
>
> great!
>
> a little offtopic - but does anyone know of a method to convert these
> fonts into truetype or PS-fonts to use them on the Mac?

Mit fontforge versuchen.
Unter Debian: apt-get install fontforge ;
Load the gunzipped font and try File->Export font... (choose format)

kod...@eurogaran.com

Aug 2, 2006, 9:20:14 AM8/2/06

> Thansk for the fonts. Are there any screenshot available? :-)

No one because I am still completing the special characters which I did
not know how they looked like in the original. Now there are only 3 of
them left, namely { } and greek "mu". So if anyone has a
screenshot/photograph/pdf book in which those appear please send me a
copy.
Also, I have incorpored a couple of modifications made later in the
history of the lisp machines in order to make the font more usable: a
little serif at the tip of both l and i and a more centered apostroph.

rydis

Aug 3, 2006, 9:24:40 AM8/3/06
kod...@eurogaran.com writes:
> No one because I am still completing the special characters which I did
> not know how they looked like in the original. Now there are only 3 of
> them left, namely { } and greek "mu". So if anyone has a
> screenshot/photograph/pdf book in which those appear please send me a
> copy.

',mr

--
[Emacs] is written in Lisp, which is the only computer language that is
beautiful. -- Neal Stephenson, _In the Beginning was the Command Line_

kod...@eurogaran.com

Aug 3, 2006, 10:45:31 AM8/3/06
Beware that concrete character set belongs to Symbolics lispm, not to
the original CADR nor Symbolics-CADR.
Give me a couple of days allowance to check { } do not infringe
copyright (i.e. they are identical to some third party free sets) or
someone confirms they weren't modified from the original CADR ones
(covered by the MIT license). Also, note greek "mu" is still missing,
and we know it was there from the keyboard (as seen googling for 'space
cadet' kbd).
Thanks a lot. You've been very kind.

Thomas A. Russ

Aug 3, 2006, 2:18:29 PM8/3/06
to rydis+...@cd.chalmers.se
rydis (Martin Rydstr|m) @CD.Chalmers.SE writes:

> kod...@eurogaran.com writes:
> > No one because I am still completing the special characters which I did
> > not know how they looked like in the original. Now there are only 3 of
> > them left, namely { } and greek "mu". So if anyone has a
> > screenshot/photograph/pdf book in which those appear please send me a
> > copy.

No mus is good mus?

rydis

Aug 3, 2006, 4:33:26 PM8/3/06

I don't see a mu character in the emulator, when I (fed).

Screenshots of the whole font, the lbrace and the rbrace is at

I never used an actual CADR, but it seems to me that there might be no
mu in the "regular" font, but perhaps instead in a special, separate
font.

Christopher C. Stacy

Aug 3, 2006, 5:23:11 PM8/3/06
rydis (Martin Rydstr|m) @CD.Chalmers.SE writes:

> kod...@eurogaran.com writes:
>> >
>> Beware that concrete character set belongs to Symbolics lispm, not to
>> the original CADR nor Symbolics-CADR.
>> Give me a couple of days allowance to check { } do not infringe
>> copyright (i.e. they are identical to some third party free sets) or
>> someone confirms they weren't modified from the original CADR ones
>> (covered by the MIT license). Also, note greek "mu" is still missing,
>> and we know it was there from the keyboard (as seen googling for 'space
>> cadet' kbd).
>
> I don't see a mu character in the emulator, when I (fed).
>
> Screenshots of the whole font, the lbrace and the rbrace is at
>
> I never used an actual CADR, but it seems to me that there might be no
> mu in the "regular" font, but perhaps instead in a special, separate
> font.
>
> ',mr

Have you considered downloading the CADR emulator that runs under
Unix (at least), booting it, and seeing what it looks like?

kod...@eurogaran.com

Aug 4, 2006, 5:17:13 AM8/4/06

> I don't see a mu character in the emulator, when I (fed).
>
> Screenshots of the whole font, the lbrace and the rbrace is at

Modifications applied and already available at
http://www.eurogaran.com/downloads/lispmfont
Now the font is both ascii-correct and ascii-complete, thanks to you.

> I never used an actual CADR, but it seems to me that there might be no
> mu in the "regular" font, but perhaps instead in a special, separate
> font.

That's why I am calling for help on this issue. The mu is required by
iso8859-15

rydis

Aug 4, 2006, 10:00:41 AM8/4/06
cst...@news.dtpq.com (Christopher C. Stacy) writes:
> rydis (Martin Rydstr|m) @CD.Chalmers.SE writes:
> > I don't see a mu character in the emulator, when I (fed).
> >
> > Screenshots of the whole font, the lbrace and the rbrace is at
> >
> > I never used an actual CADR, but it seems to me that there might be no
> > mu in the "regular" font, but perhaps instead in a special, separate
> > font.

> Have you considered downloading the CADR emulator that runs under

> Unix (at least), booting it, and seeing what it looks like?

Yes. That's what I did, and where the screenshots are from. What I
don't know is what happens on an actual machine, if you press whatever
key-combo is needed for mu.

Christopher C. Stacy

Aug 4, 2006, 10:39:30 AM8/4/06
rydis (Martin Rydstr|m) @CD.Chalmers.SE writes:

> cst...@news.dtpq.com (Christopher C. Stacy) writes:
>> rydis (Martin Rydstr|m) @CD.Chalmers.SE writes:
>> > I don't see a mu character in the emulator, when I (fed).
>> >
>> > Screenshots of the whole font, the lbrace and the rbrace is at
>> >
>> > I never used an actual CADR, but it seems to me that there might be no
>> > mu in the "regular" font, but perhaps instead in a special, separate
>> > font.
>
>> Have you considered downloading the CADR emulator that runs under
>> Unix (at least), booting it, and seeing what it looks like?
>
> Yes. That's what I did, and where the screenshots are from. What I
> don't know is what happens on an actual machine, if you press whatever
> key-combo is needed for mu.

I don't understand the question. What happens when you press those keys
on the emulated machine? It's writing to the screen device (bitmap)
and using the fonts you are interested in. (For that matter, why can't
you just download the font file from the emulated machine?)

rydis

Aug 4, 2006, 2:24:48 PM8/4/06

Good point. I didn't think about checking whether the front/top stuff
worked. As it happens, only rather few of the front or top combos do
anything except flash TYI, when I try it in Zmacs or the listener.

Thanks for the hint! (Also note that it isn't me doing the font stuff.)

',mr

kod...@eurogaran.com

Aug 7, 2006, 6:29:54 AM8/7/06
> Good point. I didn't think about checking whether the front/top stuff
> worked. As it happens, only rather few of the front or top combos do
> anything except flash TYI, when I try it in Zmacs or the listener.
>
> Thanks for the hint! (Also note that it isn't me doing the font stuff.)

It's gradually becoming apparent that all the stuff portrayed in the
CADR keyboards was never implemented totally (which explains why
commercial lispms had a downsized kbd). If that's the case, then we can
go along with an imagined mu, as we have to do with for instance
accented letters (one of the many reasons why you can't just adopt but
adapt the original).
I had hope somebody in this list had access to an original machine to
confirm that.

rydis

Aug 9, 2006, 1:38:02 PM8/9/06
kod...@eurogaran.com writes:
> > Good point. I didn't think about checking whether the front/top stuff
> > worked. As it happens, only rather few of the front or top combos do
> > anything except flash TYI, when I try it in Zmacs or the listener.
> >
> > Thanks for the hint! (Also note that it isn't me doing the font stuff.)
> >
> It's gradually becoming apparent that all the stuff portrayed in the
> CADR keyboards was never implemented totally (which explains why
> commercial lispms had a downsized kbd).

I'm not saying that. The version of the OS that I'm running on the
CADR emulator is far from the "final" version; it's fairly old.