PCL wins Software Development Productivity award!

Peter Seibel

Mar 16, 2006, 11:28:10 AM3/16/06
So _Practical Common Lisp_ made it out of the Special Six into the
Fantastic Four or whatever March Madness nomenclature you want to use.
Anyway, last night, according to my publisher PCL was awarded one of
the three "Productivity Awards" that are the runners up to the main
Jolt award, in the technical book category. The Jolt winner, for those
keeping score at home, was _Agile Web Development with Rails_. Hmmm,
maybe it's time to start working on a Rails killer for Lisp. ;-)

Since I wasn't at SD West to give a speech I'll take this opportunity
to thank, again, the many c.l.l'ers who gave me feedback or
encouragement while I was working on the book.

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel * pe...@gigamonkeys.com
Practical Common Lisp * http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/

Ken Tilton

Mar 16, 2006, 12:04:51 PM3/16/06
Peter Seibel wrote:
> So _Practical Common Lisp_ made it out of the Special Six into the
> Fantastic Four or whatever March Madness nomenclature you want to use.
> Anyway, last night, according to my publisher PCL was awarded one of
> the three "Productivity Awards" that are the runners up to the main
> Jolt award, in the technical book category.

Congrats. That was a big job, must be nice to get the recognition. Any
spike on Amazon?

> The Jolt winner, for those
> keeping score at home, was _Agile Web Development with Rails_. Hmmm,
> maybe it's time to start working on a Rails killer for Lisp. ;-)

Absolutely. Like Gabriel said, "Pick a fight.". And it would be nice to
have. I have a huge Web application requirement looming... time for a
new open source project or Gardeners project or... ?

ken

"And I will know my song well before I start singing." - Bob Dylan

Peter Seibel

Mar 16, 2006, 12:23:29 PM3/16/06
Ken Tilton <kent...@gmail.com> writes:

> Peter Seibel wrote:
>> So _Practical Common Lisp_ made it out of the Special Six into the
>> Fantastic Four or whatever March Madness nomenclature you want to use.
>> Anyway, last night, according to my publisher PCL was awarded one of
>> the three "Productivity Awards" that are the runners up to the main
>> Jolt award, in the technical book category.
>
> Congrats. That was a big job, must be nice to get the recognition. Any
> spike on Amazon?

Not yet. Though the winners have not been officially announced
anywhere except at the SD West conference. Lisp bloggers--feel free to
spread the news. ;-)

Chris Riesbeck

Mar 16, 2006, 2:16:48 PM3/16/06
Peter Seibel wrote:
> So _Practical Common Lisp_ made it out of the Special Six into the
> Fantastic Four or whatever March Madness nomenclature you want to use.
> Anyway, last night, according to my publisher PCL was awarded one of
> the three "Productivity Awards" that are the runners up to the main
> Jolt award, in the technical book category. The Jolt winner, for those
> keeping score at home, was _Agile Web Development with Rails_. Hmmm,
> maybe it's time to start working on a Rails killer for Lisp. ;-)

Hasn't that been done?

http://homepage.mac.com/svc/LispMovies/index.html#2

Peter Seibel

Mar 16, 2006, 2:26:32 PM3/16/06
Chris Riesbeck <Chris.R...@gmail.com> writes:

Apparently not, as Rails is still alive and winning awards. ;-)

> http://homepage.mac.com/svc/LispMovies/index.html#2

Yes, I'm not suggesting that Lispers need to start from scratch. There
are a number of frameworks out there (UCW, KPAX, Webactions), most of
which have at least a few devoted fans. Presumably one of these would
provide a good starting point for a Rails killer project. Perhaps bit
from each of them would be useful. I haven't really looked into it in
any depth though I may have an opportunity to do so in the near
future.

Paolo Amoroso

Mar 16, 2006, 2:31:33 PM3/16/06
Congratulations! Get used to limos and autographs.

Paolo
--
Why Lisp? http://wiki.alu.org/RtL%20Highlight%20Film
The Common Lisp Directory: http://www.cl-user.net

fireblade

Mar 16, 2006, 3:15:57 PM3/16/06
You really earned it Peter , PCL's great book.
Congratulation.
Actually your book thought me something very valuable abot Lisp.
You can't really appreciate it's fatures untill you REALLY need
them.

cheers
bobi

David Sletten

Mar 16, 2006, 5:29:44 PM3/16/06
Peter Seibel wrote:

> So _Practical Common Lisp_ made it out of the Special Six into the
> Fantastic Four or whatever March Madness nomenclature you want to use.
> Anyway, last night, according to my publisher PCL was awarded one of
> the three "Productivity Awards" that are the runners up to the main
> Jolt award, in the technical book category. The Jolt winner, for those
> keeping score at home, was _Agile Web Development with Rails_. Hmmm,
> maybe it's time to start working on a Rails killer for Lisp. ;-)
>
> Since I wasn't at SD West to give a speech I'll take this opportunity
> to thank, again, the many c.l.l'ers who gave me feedback or
> encouragement while I was working on the book.
>
> -Peter

Congratulations Peter! This is a well deserved award.

Who knows how many new Smug Lisp Weenies you've inspired? :)

Aloha,
David Sletten

Ties Stuij

Mar 16, 2006, 6:45:48 PM3/16/06
> maybe it's time to start working on a Rails killer for Lisp. ;-)

lisp on lines perhaps:
http://www.cliki.net/lisp-on-lines
;-)

congrats!
Ties

rfl...@gmail.com

Mar 16, 2006, 8:23:44 PM3/16/06
congrats Peter!

Nick

Benjamin Teuber

Mar 17, 2006, 2:00:31 AM3/17/06
First, congratulations from me, too ^^

I don't know well about the lol-details, but what I dislike in Rails is
that you're working in the SQl database and your classes are made to fit
with this. I think this has to be the other way round: Make your
classes, declare them persistent and don't care at all where and how
it'll be stored.
So, if it was available for (non-)commercial use without having to pay
that much money, I think AllegroCache could be this killer-db.
I'm looking forward to hear about a free persistance-solution at the ECLM.
Of course, I don't mind mapping to a relational db, if this is
completely hidden beneath the surface..

Regards,
Benjamin

Edi Weitz

Mar 17, 2006, 4:03:37 AM3/17/06
On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 08:00:31 +0100, Benjamin Teuber <bet...@web.de> wrote:

> I'm looking forward to hear about a free persistance-solution at the
> ECLM.

Me too. But how are you going to do that? Looks like you haven't
even registered yet and the number of free seats is getting smaller
each day... :)

Cheers,
Edi.

--

European Common Lisp Meeting 2006: <http://weitz.de/eclm2006/>

Real email: (replace (subseq "spam...@agharta.de" 5) "edi")

Stefan Scholl

Mar 17, 2006, 4:28:38 AM3/17/06
Peter Seibel <pe...@gigamonkeys.com> wrote:
> keeping score at home, was _Agile Web Development with Rails_. Hmmm,
> maybe it's time to start working on a Rails killer for Lisp. ;-)

This time with agile software instead of just an agile framework
and an agile book.

I was looking for a CMS and haven't found anything in the
"better" languages and/or frameworks. The (free) web is still
dominated by PHP. :-(

People use Rails for some time now and there's still not very
much free software developed in it. What is Rails used for? Are
there so many simple CRUD tasks out there?

By the way: Don't try to copy Rails. Nitro and Og
<http://www.nitrohq.com/> are a much better candidate.

Friedrich Dominicus

Mar 17, 2006, 5:47:29 AM3/17/06
Peter Seibel <pe...@gigamonkeys.com> writes:

> So _Practical Common Lisp_ made it out of the Special Six into the
> Fantastic Four or whatever March Madness nomenclature you want to use.
> Anyway, last night, according to my publisher PCL was awarded one of
> the three "Productivity Awards" that are the runners up to the main
> Jolt award, in the technical book category. The Jolt winner, for those
> keeping score at home, was _Agile Web Development with Rails_. Hmmm,
> maybe it's time to start working on a Rails killer for Lisp. ;-)

Ask Drew Cempsie for his lisp-on-lines.

Regards
Friedrich

--
Please remove just-for-news- to reply via e-mail.

Friedrich Dominicus

Mar 17, 2006, 5:54:47 AM3/17/06
Stefan Scholl <ste...@no-spoon.de> writes:

> Peter Seibel <pe...@gigamonkeys.com> wrote:
>> keeping score at home, was _Agile Web Development with Rails_. Hmmm,
>> maybe it's time to start working on a Rails killer for Lisp. ;-)
>
> This time with agile software instead of just an agile framework
> and an agile book.
>
> I was looking for a CMS and haven't found anything in the
> "better" languages and/or frameworks. The (free) web is still
> dominated by PHP. :-(

Yes, that's very true. But there are some good reasons for that one
has to admit.

Stop finger don't write further, stop
can't help:

There is no easy to use and understandable web programming framework
available for Common Lisp.

So let the flames start....

> People use Rails for some time now and there's still not very
> much free software developed in it. What is Rails used for? Are
> there so many simple CRUD tasks out there?

That's a bit unfair to Rails it's not just CRUD, although Rails makes
that really easy.

Julian Stecklina

Mar 17, 2006, 5:58:24 AM3/17/06
Benjamin Teuber <bet...@web.de> writes:

http://common-lisp.net/project/elephant/

Regards,
--
Julian Stecklina

"I object to doing things that computers can do." - Olin Shivers

Tayssir John Gabbour

Mar 17, 2006, 6:53:53 AM3/17/06
Julian Stecklina wrote:

> Benjamin Teuber <bet...@web.de> writes:
> > I'm looking forward to hear about a free persistance-solution at the ECLM.
> > Of course, I don't mind mapping to a relational db, if this is
> > completely hidden beneath the surface..
>
> http://common-lisp.net/project/elephant/

Yes, the fella presenting the upcoming persistence talk gave a talk
earlier about all sorts of persistence solutions. From the most
primitive (PRINT/READ) to advanced.
http://www.pentaside.org/paper/persistence-lemmens.txt

(It's a bit outdated, so there's now additional stuff like BKNR and
whatnot... but certainly a good read.)

>From what I hear, the advantage of the upcoming Rucksack is that it's
"full-blown persistence in Lisp", without depending on some non-Lisp
DB.

I like Elephant too; particularly it has an unusually responsive
mailing list, and the documentation is good.

Tayssir

Stefan Scholl

Mar 17, 2006, 5:10:31 PM3/17/06
Friedrich Dominicus <just-for-...@q-software-solutions.de> wrote:

> Stefan Scholl <ste...@no-spoon.de> writes:
>> I was looking for a CMS and haven't found anything in the
>> "better" languages and/or frameworks. The (free) web is still
>> dominated by PHP. :-(
>
> There is no easy to use and understandable web programming framework
> available for Common Lisp.

PHP people nowadays use template engines all over the place. So a
combination of mod_lisp + TBNL + HTML-TEMPLATE or CL-EMB should
be enough to give the programmer the same tools at hand.

GP lisper

Mar 17, 2006, 5:34:51 PM3/17/06
On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 16:28:10 GMT, <pe...@gigamonkeys.com> wrote:
> PCL was awarded one of the three "Productivity Awards"

YAH!!! Gogo Peter! :-)

--
Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist.
Children already know that dragons exist.

Friedrich Dominicus

Mar 18, 2006, 1:02:27 AM3/18/06
Stefan Scholl <ste...@no-spoon.de> writes:

> PHP people nowadays use template engines all over the place. So a
> combination of mod_lisp + TBNL + HTML-TEMPLATE or CL-EMB should
> be enough to give the programmer the same tools at hand.

Well than you can use webactions directly also, if that is all what is
needed. Strange that nobody picked it up and has done somthing he/she
likes to show...

Tayssir John Gabbour

Mar 18, 2006, 1:39:36 AM3/18/06
Peter Seibel wrote:
> So _Practical Common Lisp_ made it out of the Special Six into the
> Fantastic Four or whatever March Madness nomenclature you want to use.
> Anyway, last night, according to my publisher PCL was awarded one of
> the three "Productivity Awards" that are the runners up to the main
> Jolt award, in the technical book category. The Jolt winner, for those
> keeping score at home, was _Agile Web Development with Rails_. Hmmm,
> maybe it's time to start working on a Rails killer for Lisp. ;-)

And yet, a very familiar sight for those of us who've worked with
Java...
http://www.pentaside.org/sight/sdmagazine-2006-jolt-awards.png

Tayssir

Stefan Scholl

Mar 18, 2006, 2:58:12 AM3/18/06

Resin is special. Perhaps they made a tiny 0.0.1 update ... :-)

Alec Jang

Mar 18, 2006, 2:13:23 PM3/18/06
Peter Seibel 写道:

> So _Practical Common Lisp_ made it out of the Special Six into the
> Fantastic Four or whatever March Madness nomenclature you want to use.
> Anyway, last night, according to my publisher PCL was awarded one of
> the three "Productivity Awards" that are the runners up to the main
> Jolt award, in the technical book category. The Jolt winner, for those
> keeping score at home, was _Agile Web Development with Rails_. Hmmm,
> maybe it's time to start working on a Rails killer for Lisp. ;-)
>
> Since I wasn't at SD West to give a speech I'll take this opportunity
> to thank, again, the many c.l.l'ers who gave me feedback or
> encouragement while I was working on the book.
>
> -Peter

Congrats.

I really love this book. I am a Chinese, there is few people in my
country use or even know lisp. I wish more and more people will join
lispers by your inspiration.

Thank you.

--
Best regards,
Alec Jang

Don Lindsay, Jr.

Mar 19, 2006, 5:42:04 PM3/19/06
Congratulations, Peter, you deserve the recognition. I hope that the
success and popularity of your book will help create a greater demand
for Lisp developers, projects and libraries. Also, I hope that it will
inspire other writers to publish more books on Lisp that make it appear
more attractive to developers who are interested in Web 2.0 and other
more current projects.

FYI: For those who are not yet aware, there is a new Lispbox-0.7 link
for Windows using Allegro Common Lisp with Allegroserve and Webactions
on the PCL website: http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/.

Best of luck with future development projects, and thanks for your
help.

Don Lindsay, Jr.

Peter Seibel

Mar 19, 2006, 6:05:36 PM3/19/06
"Don Lindsay, Jr." <don.l...@gmail.com> writes:

> Congratulations, Peter, you deserve the recognition. I hope that the
> success and popularity of your book will help create a greater demand
> for Lisp developers, projects and libraries. Also, I hope that it will
> inspire other writers to publish more books on Lisp that make it appear
> more attractive to developers who are interested in Web 2.0 and other
> more current projects.
>
> FYI: For those who are not yet aware, there is a new Lispbox-0.7 link
> for Windows using Allegro Common Lisp with Allegroserve and Webactions
> on the PCL website: http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/.

Yes, thanks to Kevin Layer at Franz who built a nice installer for a
Windows/Allegro Lispbox. One of these days I'll use the work he did to
build a proper installer for the CLISP/Windows Lispbox. I also just
uploaded new versions of the GNU/Linux Lispboxen which I built some
time ago and never got around to publishing.

Check 'em all out at:

<http://www.gigamonkeys.com/lispbox/>

cperkins

Mar 19, 2006, 6:29:18 PM3/19/06
Peter,

Congratulations. That's awesome. PCL is a _great_ book. Every
programmer where I work has a copy.

If you go for a Rails killer my 2 cents would be to not just go for a
Rails-clone or yet-another-web-framework, but to significantly raise
that bar.

Congrats again,

Chris Perkins
www.medialab.com

hitesh...@gmail.com

Mar 23, 2006, 11:20:33 PM3/23/06
Let me add my congrats to you Peter. Great job making Lisp accessible
to everyone .... heck, even me.

I had been reading Paul Graham's book on and off. I have a lot of
respect for Paul's writing, but I can't say the power and allure of
Lisp was really evident to me. I don't know. But reading your book,
it all became a lot clearer.

Thanks for the lucidity,
- Hitesh