Re: Would it be possible for me to solicit someone to do some work in LISP for me here?

Message has been deleted

daniel....@excite.com

Feb 13, 2009, 10:45:58 AM2/13/09
On Feb 13, 1:49 am, alphabet_ru...@live.com wrote:
> Would make between 100 and 400 dollars depending on ability level and
> what they could do.
>
> Not sure if this is the place for such things but putting it out
> there.
>
> Let me know.

$100-$400... USD? How much work, any guidance? Days, lines of code,
etc? Problem domain?

Raffael Cavallaro

Feb 13, 2009, 10:49:46 AM2/13/09
On 2009-02-13 01:49:54 -0500, alphabe...@live.com said:

> Would make between 100 and 400 dollars depending on ability level and
> what they could do.
>
> Not sure if this is the place for such things but putting it out
> there.
>
> Let me know.

1. Aren't you the same person who asked for help with homework? So
can't we assume you'd be paying someone to do your homework for you?
Wouldn't this be a violation of the relevant ethics standards/honor
code/etc. of your school?

2. It's more possible than you might like to think that your
instructor, or someone your instructor knows, reads this newsgroup and
will see that one of the students is trying to pay someone to do the
homework assignment. Ouch.

So, no, it is not appropriate to solicit someone to do your homework
for pay. It is appropriate for you to show us what actual work you've
done so far (not just the questions, but *your* work on them) and to
ask us why you're stuck. You'll actually learn how to program; you will
not have someone else doing your homework for you; you will have people
giving you pointers so you can do your homework *yourself*.
--
Raffael Cavallaro, Ph.D.

daniel....@excite.com

Feb 13, 2009, 11:09:10 AM2/13/09
On Feb 13, 10:49 am, Raffael Cavallaro

<raffaelcavall...@pas.espam.s.il.vous.plait.mac.com> wrote:
> 1. Aren't you the same person who asked for help with homework? So
> can't we assume you'd be paying someone to do your homework for you?
> Wouldn't this be a violation of the relevant ethics standards/honor
> code/etc. of your school?
> Raffael Cavallaro, Ph.D.

Good catch! I didn't think to check posting profile, void information
was a clue I should've picked up on. BTW, who cares about school's
ethics, how about plain public ethics?

Extracted from alphabet_ru...@live.com's previous posts couple days
ago:

>I posted how far I've gotten so far, but like I said I don't do
>programming (I'm a business major and need this last class to
>graduate).

alphabet_ru...@live.com, your problem is simply that you don't know
the protocol of communication with programmers, since you aren't one.
Try not to take it so hard - you are simply expected to break each
problem down piece by piece, try to deal with each piece yourself,
then ask for help on each piece.

You can't ask for help on the whole shebang on a news group. If you
have a friend (Someone else in the class perhaps? Someone you might
hit up comming out of a Comp. Sci. lecture?) that you can sit down
with, then you can ask for help on the whole thing because it's easier
to work that way in person. They'll help you with the process of
breaking down and recognizing each piece.

Also, in person you can make the "have a heart, give me a break, I'll
pay you" appeal that _for_sure_ won't fly in a news group!

Pascal J. Bourguignon

Feb 13, 2009, 1:11:22 PM2/13/09
daniel....@excite.com writes:

> On Feb 13, 10:49 am, Raffael Cavallaro
> <raffaelcavall...@pas.espam.s.il.vous.plait.mac.com> wrote:
>> 1. Aren't you the same person who asked for help with homework? So
>> can't we assume you'd be paying someone to do your homework for you?
>> Wouldn't this be a violation of the relevant ethics standards/honor
>> code/etc. of your school?
>> Raffael Cavallaro, Ph.D.
>
> Good catch! I didn't think to check posting profile, void information
> was a clue I should've picked up on. BTW, who cares about school's
> ethics, how about plain public ethics?
>
> Extracted from alphabet_ru...@live.com's previous posts couple days
> ago:
>
>>I posted how far I've gotten so far, but like I said I don't do
>>programming (I'm a business major and need this last class to
>>graduate).
>
> alphabet_ru...@live.com, your problem is simply that you don't know
> the protocol of communication with programmers, since you aren't one.

THIS may be a problem.

But being in a business major, it might be the purpose of the
exercise, to see how well this future PHB can have programmers do what
he needs to be done.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

Thomas Munro

Feb 13, 2009, 1:47:44 PM2/13/09
On Feb 13, 6:49 am, alphabet_ru...@live.com wrote:
> Would make between 100 and 400 dollars depending on ability level and
> what they could do.
>
> Not sure if this is the place for such things but putting it out
> there.
>
> Let me know.

Is Robert Maas still hacking on PowerLisp on a vintage 68k Mac under
System 7.5.5? Here's a wacky idea. What if comp.lang.lisp wrote your
algorithm for you (not that you've said what it is yet), and you put
up the cash for a cheapie laptop (from Ebay, or maybe a sub-$400 Dell
or Asus with Ubuntu Linux installed), for Mr Maas. Then he can apt-
get install emacs, slime, sbcl, cmucl, clisp.

Unknown

Feb 13, 2009, 2:02:30 PM2/13/09
alphabe...@live.com wrote:

> Would make between 100 and 400 dollars depending on ability
> level and what they could do.
>
> Not sure if this is the place for such things but putting it
> out there.
>
> Let me know.

If you can't pass the class, drop it. Take only classes in
which you can make a passing grade.

Are business-majors required to take a Lisp class?

Slobodan Blazeski

Feb 13, 2009, 2:48:49 PM2/13/09

alphabet_ru...@live.com wrote:
> Would make between 100 and 400 dollars depending on ability level and
> what they could do.
>
> Not sure if this is the place for such things but putting it out
> there.

It's not smart to ask for homework solution here your as instructor
might be reading it, and you should ask yourself why do you go to
school if you're only there to pass some exams. Usually in every
curriculum there is some material that many students don't give a
damn about it but they need it to go to get their degree, so if lisp
is one them pay somebody, its your money.

cheers
bobi

> Let me know.

Slobodan Blazeski

Feb 13, 2009, 2:54:52 PM2/13/09
On Feb 13, 7:11 pm, p...@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
wrote:

> THIS may be a problem.
>
> But being in a business major, it might be the purpose of the
> exercise, to see how well this future PHB can have programmers do what
> he needs to be done.

That's easy, all he need is a book "Dealing code monkeys for
dummies."/

By the way what university asks business majors to learn lisp?

bobi

Pascal J. Bourguignon

Feb 13, 2009, 5:02:38 PM2/13/09
Slobodan Blazeski <slobodan...@gmail.com> writes:

This is the killing clue.
Getting your homework done in C or Java is too easy.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

Kaz Kylheku

Feb 13, 2009, 7:05:10 PM2/13/09
On 2009-02-13, Slobodan Blazeski <slobodan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> By the way what university asks business majors to learn lisp?

Any university that imposes a computing requirement on business majors, and
picks an introductory course from among the offerings provided by the CS
department, which happens to have a slant toward Lisp.

I can think of reasons why Lisp would be more of an asset to a business
major than to many other programming languages.

Kaz Kylheku

Feb 13, 2009, 7:12:28 PM2/13/09
On 2009-02-13, William James <> wrote:
> alphabe...@live.com wrote:
>
>> Would make between 100 and 400 dollars depending on ability
>> level and what they could do.
>>
>> Not sure if this is the place for such things but putting it
>> out there.
>>
>> Let me know.
>
> If you can't pass the class, drop it.

Oh yeah, expert advice from the master in flunking!

> Take only classes in which you can make a passing grade.

So what were those, in your case, and did they amount to a set with which
you could graduate?

It's not the fault of ``Commune Lisp'' that you flunked out.

You are clearly not capable of handling even freshman-level computer science
coursework and exams, even if you are allowed to use your favorite programming
language.

Generally, you have to be able to comprehend verbal requirement specifications,
and turn them into code which reflects those requirements.

You've shown time and time again that you can't do that even when the
requirements are accompanied by working code.

You are the root cause of your own failures.

Rob Warnock

Feb 13, 2009, 8:50:33 PM2/13/09
Raffael Cavallaro <raffaelc...@pas.espam.s.il.vous.plait.mac.com> wrote:
+---------------

| alphabe...@live.com said:
| > Would make between 100 and 400 dollars depending on ability level and
| > what they could do.

| 1. Aren't you the same person who asked for help with homework? So
| can't we assume you'd be paying someone to do your homework for you?
| Wouldn't this be a violation of the relevant ethics standards/honor
| code/etc. of your school?
|
| 2. It's more possible than you might like to think that your
| instructor, or someone your instructor knows, reads this newsgroup and
| will see that one of the students is trying to pay someone to do the
| homework assignment. Ouch.
+---------------

Not to mention that, more and more these days, employers are doing
web searches on potential candidates, and if they discover that one
has that sort of attitude about homework, how could they trust the
candidate to be ethical when working for the company?!?

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock <rp...@rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue <URL:http://rpw3.org/>
San Mateo, CA 94403 (650)572-2607

Kaz Kylheku

Feb 13, 2009, 9:02:23 PM2/13/09
On 2009-02-14, Rob Warnock <rp...@rpw3.org> wrote:
> Not to mention that, more and more these days, employers are doing
> web searches on potential candidates, and if they discover that one
> has that sort of attitude about homework, how could they trust the
> candidate to be ethical when working for the company?!?

More to the point, how can they trust the candidate to correctly do /unethical/
things for the advancement of the corporation, given that he's too stupid to
conceal his identity when cheating on homework?

André Thieme

Feb 13, 2009, 9:53:50 PM2/13/09
William James schrieb:

> alphabe...@live.com wrote:
>
>> Would make between 100 and 400 dollars depending on ability
>> level and what they could do.
>>
>> Not sure if this is the place for such things but putting it
>> out there.
>>
>> Let me know.
>
> If you can't pass the class, drop it. Take only classes in
> which you can make a passing grade.

I hope you will follow your own suggestion now while you are still
at school. Your Comal classes still didn’t yield fruit.

André

Slobodan Blazeski

Feb 14, 2009, 4:53:37 AM2/14/09
On Feb 14, 1:05 am, Kaz Kylheku <kkylh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2009-02-13, Slobodan Blazeski <slobodan.blaze...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > By the way what university asks business majors to learn lisp?
>
> Any university that imposes a computing requirement on business majors, and
> picks an introductory course from among the offerings provided by the CS
> department, which happens to have a slant toward Lisp.
Great, tell me the name and I'll write the inquiry.

> I can think of reasons why Lisp would be more of an asset to a business
> major than to many other programming languages.
Neh. Its probably because it was the only language their professor's
professor knew when he was a young man, and so it goes for ever since,
generation after generation of academic types resorting to
eccentricities partly out of inertia and partly in order to augment
the feeling of self-worth by 'being different' -- or something like
that)...

Sorry I couldn't resist the temptation to quote my favourite anti
lisp review of AMOP.

cheers
Bobi

Slobodan Blazeski

Feb 14, 2009, 4:59:24 AM2/14/09
On Feb 14, 3:02 am, Kaz Kylheku <kkylh...@gmail.com> wrote:
Exactly : http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D04E1DA1431F935A35755C0A9629C8B63&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all
He also says he believes that employees further up the corporate
ladder cheat more than those down below. He reached this conclusion in
part after delivering for years to one company spread out over three
floors -- an executive floor on top and two lower floors with sales,
service and administrative employees. Maybe, he says, the executives
stole bagels out of a sense of entitlement. (Or maybe cheating is how
they got to be executives.)

bobi