How disable JS in MSIE 6?

MasonC

Apr 13, 2004, 6:52:03 PM4/13/04

I find I cannot disable javascript in MSIE 6
I've Help'd, Google'd, and searched here to no avail.

<noscript>
You don't have javascript enabled
</noscript>

will not display for me.

Mason C

Nik Coughin

Apr 13, 2004, 6:55:04 PM4/13/04

It could be this. You can't disable JavaScript for scripts running off your
local machine, AFAIK.

DU

Apr 13, 2004, 7:12:38 PM4/13/04

Tools/Internet Options.../Security tab/Choose Internet Zone, say
Internet/Custom Level... button/Scripting category/Active
Scripting/Disable radio button

DU

MasonC

Apr 14, 2004, 12:34:14 AM4/14/04

Thank you! That's the answer. I was working on code off line.

Mason C

Randy Webb

Apr 14, 2004, 7:46:12 AM4/14/04

No its not. Its irrelevant whether you are on or off line, you can still
disable it. See DU's post.

--
Randy
Chance Favors The Prepared Mind

Nik Coughin

Apr 14, 2004, 5:48:26 PM4/14/04
Randy Webb wrote:
> MasonC wrote:
>> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 10:55:04 +1200, "Nik Coughin"
>> <nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote:
>>>
>>> It could be this. You can't disable JavaScript for scripts running
>>> off your local machine, AFAIK.
>>

>> Thank you! That's the answer. I was working on code off line.
>
> No its not. Its irrelevant whether you are on or off line, you can
> still disable it. See DU's post.

Wrong. Try it. Get an .html file with some Javascript in it and put it on
your Desktop, or in My Documents, or anywhere else on your HDD for that
matter. Disable Javascript in IE using DU's instructions. Then open the
html file. Oh! The Javascript still works. I ran into this a while ago
while trying to test the <noscript> part of a web page.

Jim Ley

Apr 17, 2004, 12:36:55 PM4/17/04
On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:48:26 +1200, "Nik Coughin"
<nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote:

>Wrong. Try it. Get an .html file with some Javascript in it and put it on
>your Desktop, or in My Documents, or anywhere else on your HDD for that
>matter. Disable Javascript in IE using DU's instructions.

Okay, modify DU's instruction for doing it in the zone which the
desktop is contained, you can block all javascript in IE in all zones,
you just have to do it!

Jim.

MasonC

Apr 17, 2004, 1:46:32 PM4/17/04
On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 16:36:55 GMT, j...@jibbering.com (Jim Ley) wrote:

>On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:48:26 +1200, "Nik Coughin"
><nrkn!no-spam!@woosh.co.nz> wrote:
>
>>Wrong. Try it. Get an .html file with some Javascript in it and put it on
>>your Desktop, or in My Documents, or anywhere else on your HDD for that
>>matter. Disable Javascript in IE using DU's instructions.
>
>Okay, modify DU's instruction for doing it in the zone which the
>desktop is contained, you can block all javascript in IE in all zones,
>you just have to do it!
>
>Jim.

Please give *detailed* instructions. I've tried everything
I can think of. Javascript persists.

Mason C

Jim Ley

Apr 17, 2004, 2:06:12 PM4/17/04
On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 17:46:32 GMT, MasonC <mas...@ix.netcom.xyz.com>
wrote:

>Please give *detailed* instructions. I've tried everything
>I can think of. Javascript persists.

DU did, do it on every ZONE. if not RTFM.

MasonC

Apr 17, 2004, 11:03:47 PM4/17/04
On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 18:06:12 GMT, j...@jibbering.com (Jim Ley) wrote:

>On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 17:46:32 GMT, MasonC <mas...@ix.netcom.xyz.com>
>wrote:
>
>>Please give *detailed* instructions. I've tried everything
>>I can think of. Javascript persists.
>
>DU did, do it on every ZONE. if not RTFM.
>
>Jim.

I'd like to hear from someone who has actually done it.

Mason C

Jim Ley

Apr 18, 2004, 2:42:19 PM4/18/04
On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 03:03:47 GMT, MasonC <mas...@ix.netcom.xyz.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 18:06:12 GMT, j...@jibbering.com (Jim Ley) wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 17:46:32 GMT, MasonC <mas...@ix.netcom.xyz.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Please give *detailed* instructions. I've tried everything
>>>I can think of. Javascript persists.
>>
>>DU did, do it on every ZONE. if not RTFM.
>>
>>Jim.
>
>I'd like to hear from someone who has actually done it.

Yes, I have, exactly as DU described...

Grant Wagner

Apr 21, 2004, 2:44:45 PM4/21/04
MasonC wrote:

Windows XP and IE6SP1, ymmv:

Start -> Run
type "regedit" (no quotes), hit enter
browser to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\Zones\0
double-click "1400" in the right-pane
change the value from "0" to "3", click OK (use "1" to be prompted to
run script)

Now IE will not run client-side script and will display HTML content
between <noscript> and </noscript> in the "My Computer" Zone.

To verify this value is in fact the setting to disable ActiveScripting,
change the ActiveScripting setting for the "Internet" Zone and watch the
value of "1400" change under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\Zones\3. For development, the easiest thing to do would
probably be to set it to always prompt (set the value of "1400" to "1")
under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\Zones\0 but that might get annoying.

For something a little more advanced:

scripton.reg:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\Zones\0]
"1400"=dword:00000000

scriptoff.reg

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\Zones\0]
"1400"=dword:00000003

Double-clicking each .reg file will have the named effect.

Lastly, changing HKEY_CURRENT_USER to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE does *not*
affect all users (at least not if you don't reboot, and I didn't reboot,
so I don't know if rebooting overrides the behaviour of HKCU or not,
someone else can try that).

--
| Grant Wagner <gwa...@agricoreunited.com>

*