Parameters & Hidden variables...

apar...@yahoo.com

Sep 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/16/98

I have a page to which two parameters are being passed ex
index.html?var1=xxx&var2=yyy. Could someone let me know how to capture these
two parameter values in the HTML page so that I could create two hidden
variables like var3, var4 and assign the values of var1 & var2 respectively.
These hidden variables (var3 & var4) are again being used in the html page to
call another page ex: index2.html?var3=(value captured from var1)&var4=(value
captured from var2).

I had achieved this by using server side script when running on IIS
example:

in index.html

var3=<%=Request.QueryString("var1")%>
var4=<%=Request.QueryString("var2")%>

This was working fine as the page was a ASP file. Now we have to achieve the
same without ASP code. Can someone tell me if it can be acheived using
Javascript, if so, how.

Sreeram

Fox

Sep 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/16/98
to apar...@yahoo.com
The document that opens (here: index.html) must expect that the data is
coming:

At the beginning of your loading process:
var temp = window.location.search.substring(1); // dispose of 1st "?"
var params = temp.split("&");
// this leaves you with
// params[0] => var1=xxx where xxx represents a number
// params[1] => var2=yyy where yyy represents a number
-- Take this shortcut:

eval("window." + params[0]); // eval("window.var1=123")
eval("window." + params[1]); // eval("window.var2=456")

you can now reference your variables like:
newVar1 = var1;
newVar2 = var2;

What this does is essentially prototype the variables into the window
object.
If you pass a string value, enclose variable values in quotes
("index.html?var1='a string'&var2='more'").

[I did not test the eval technique with IE]

Hope this helps,

Fox

apar...@yahoo.com

Sep 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/18/98
Thanks for the info. I have one more question. How do I assign these
values to hidden variables in HTML page. I was able to do that using
ASP code as follows

<INPUT TYPE="HIDDEN" NAME="var3" VALUE=<%request.querystring("var1")%>>

How do I achieve this using the javascript.

Sreeram

In article <36006E12...@eatel.net>,