Javascript vs JScript..

LBee

Apr 15, 2001, 1:15:18 AM4/15/01

I'm new to Javascript. I'm thinking of what the difference between
Javascript and Jscript, except one in from Netscape and another Microsoft.
Any difference else?? or, where could I find some articles on comparsion of
these two things??

BTW, do anyone know is it good to implement an application using
Microsoft ASP with Javascript (on server side)?? I've tried to use <%@
Language=Javascript %> in ASP script (server-side), but when there is some
error.. the error message say "JScript error: xxxxxx.....". Do it means
Javascript is treated as JScript in ASP script ??

Thanks!!

Rgds,

LBee

Jim Ley

Apr 15, 2001, 4:34:32 AM4/15/01
On Sun, 15 Apr 2001 13:15:18 +0800, "LBee" <lb...@hongkong.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
> I'm new to Javascript. I'm thinking of what the difference between
>Javascript and Jscript, except one in from Netscape and another Microsoft.
>Any difference else?? or, where could I find some articles on comparsion of
>these two things??

Did you read the FAQ? They are both ECMAScript compatible to various
levels at various stages and with various bugs, JavaScript 1.5 with
latest builds of Mozilla (not Netscape 6) is fully compliant and I
know of no bugs, JScript 5.5 is fully compliant except with a bug in
toFixed.

Javascript without the capital S is also commonly used to refer to all
ECMAScript languages, having JavaScript reserved for Netscapes
implementation.

The implementations have also authored some extensions to the language
(perfectly within the standard.) you can normally forget about these
and there aren't many anyway.

> BTW, do anyone know is it good to implement an application using
>Microsoft ASP with Javascript (on server side)?? I've tried to use <%@
>Language=Javascript %> in ASP script (server-side), but when there is some
>error.. the error message say "JScript error: xxxxxx.....". Do it means
>Javascript is treated as JScript in ASP script ??

It is not (currently) possible to implement ASP in JavaScript, there
is no active scripting version of JavaScript, just JScript which is
the same thing really a standard language. So you say javascript, but
that's just a name in the registry which is aliased to JScript.

Jim.