JavaScript AI Mind Programming Journal -- 2011 May 18

Mentifex

May 18, 2011, 5:50:58 PM5/18/11
The JavaScript artificial intelligence (JSAI) is
a clientside AiApp whose natural habitat is a
desktop computer, a laptop or a smartphone.

Wed.18.MAY.2011 -- Houston, We Have a Problem.

When we submit "who are you" as a query to
the AI Mind, it searches the knowledge base (KB)
and it remembers that it is ANDRU - - a ROBOT
and a PERSON (a different answer each time
that you pose the same existential question).
Unfortunately, the software finds the first instance
of each concept stored in recent memory and
spits out the phonemic engram from the auditory
memory channel without regard to whether the
stored word is a singular form or a plural form.
How can we get the most advanced open-source
AI in these parsecs to stop saying "I AM ROBOTS"?
The AI may have to start skipping over plural
engrams when searching for a singular noun.
Therefore, let us perform a little psychosurgery
on the AI Mind software and see if we can zero in
on a singular noun-form during self-referential thought.

First we use a few JavaScript "alert" boxes in
BeVerb() and in NounPhrase() to see what values
are being carried along in the variables that keep
track of grammatical number as the AI Mind
generates a thought in response to user input.
We see that the subject number is available in
the background, so perhaps we can alter the
design of the Mind to insist on speaking a
singular noun to go with a singular subject.
Even though ROBOT and ROBOTS are the
same concept, they are not the same expression
of the concept. By the way, this issue is another
AI mindmaker (Mentifex) problem that had to be
solved in due course, that is, rather well along
in the AI development process and not at the
first blush of AI newbie enthusiasm.

Upshot: Gradually in the NounPhrase module
we introduced code to skip over the retrieval of
any word in auditory memory if the correct num(ber)
was not found to match the the same number
of the subject of an input query. The AI began
to answer "who are you" with "I AM ROBOT".
This bugfix makes the AI Mind more complex
and therefore subject to potentially latent problems
such as knowing a word only in the plural and not
in the singular. However, the same bugfix brings
the JSAI closer to machine reasoning and thinking
with a syllogism such as, "All men are mortal;
Socrates is a man; therefore Socrates is mortal."

Mentifex (Arthur)
--
http://www.scn.org/~mentifex/AiMind.html
http://code.google.com/p/mindforth/wiki/JsAiManual