Microsoft's ECMAScript Test Suite

Garrett Smith

Jun 25, 2010, 4:32:54 PM6/25/10
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2010/06/25/javascript-same-code-and-a-standardized-test-suite.aspx

I Downloaded The Test Suite: http://es5conform.codeplex.com/

I can't get it to work -- where did I go wrong?

readme.text states:

| Running the tests
| -----------------
| If this folder contains a file named runtests.html open it
| with the browser you want to test.
| Otherwise, go to to folder TestHarness
| at the cmd prompt run build.bat
| Your tests should run in the browser.
| Thats it.
|
| Inspecting the results
| ----------------------
| The test results are reported in the browser (Look for
| the testName that you gave for your test).
| Thats it.

I see the folder contains runtests.html, so I fire that up and get
errors right away. Well that didn't work.

Looking at runtests.html source code and I see:

<head>
<script type="text/javascript" src="sth.js"></script>
<script>
var ES5Harness = activeSth;
</script>

-IE=8 mode? What for?

I see the folder does not contain "sth.js", so that explains the script
errors.

Looking back at the readme:
| Otherwise, go to to folder TestHarness
| at the cmd prompt run build.bat

I'm on windows, so I actually can run build.bat. I double-click it and
see the error:
"Windows cannot find test.html. Make sure you typed the name correctly,
and then try again."

What am I doing wrong here?

Garrett

john

Jun 25, 2010, 8:26:10 PM6/25/10
On 25 Jun 3:32 PM, Garrett Smith wrote:
> I Downloaded The Test Suite: http://es5conform.codeplex.com/
>
> I can't get it to work -- where did I go wrong?

it runs fine here (in relatively new browsers) on my Mac and on IE8/9
(platform preview 3) in a VMware virtual machine of Windows 7.

> Looking at runtests.html source code and I see:

> <head>
> <script type="text/javascript" src="sth.js"></script>
> <script>
> var ES5Harness = activeSth;
> </script>
>
> -IE=8 mode? What for?

maybe because it makes IE (at least 8 and 9) pass more tests than
without it (386 passed with it vs. 102 passed without for the latter).
which is most likely because the document is in quirks mode. replacing
the IE8 mode trigger with a DOCTYPE that triggers standards mode (e.g.
<!DOCTYPE html>) makes IE9 pass roughly 3x more tests.

Garrett Smith

Jun 25, 2010, 8:36:47 PM6/25/10
On 2010-06-25 05:26 PM, john wrote:
> On 25 Jun 3:32 PM, Garrett Smith wrote:
>> I Downloaded The Test Suite: http://es5conform.codeplex.com/
>>
>> I can't get it to work -- where did I go wrong?
>
> it runs fine here (in relatively new browsers) on my Mac and on IE8/9
> (platform preview 3) in a VMware virtual machine of Windows 7.

I must have gotten a bad build or something. I downloaded again and got
the same file, "ES5conform0.2a.zip", but this time, double-clicking
runtests.html brought up Firefox with the tests running.

The runtests.html from the previous d/l, I see the errors:

activeSth is not defined
runtests.html (line 6)

ES5Harness is undefined
15.2.3.2-0-1.js (line 22)

ES5Harness is undefined
runtests.html (line 2552)

Whatever. What I have now works.

> maybe because it makes IE (at least 8 and 9) pass more tests than
> without it (386 passed with it vs. 102 passed without for the latter).
> which is most likely because the document is in quirks mode. replacing
> the IE8 mode trigger with a DOCTYPE that triggers standards mode (e.g.
> <!DOCTYPE html>) makes IE9 pass roughly 3x more tests.

I wonder why they didn't just go with that in the first place?

Garrett

Dr J R Stockton

Jun 26, 2010, 2:38:29 PM6/26/10
In comp.lang.javascript message <i033pd$kvi$1...@news.eternal-
september.org>, Fri, 25 Jun 2010 13:32:54, Garrett Smith
<dhtmlk...@gmail.com> posted:

>I Downloaded The Test Suite: http://es5conform.codeplex.com/
>
>I can't get it to work -- where did I go wrong?

>What am I doing wrong here?

The FAQ will tell you.

You're not telling us what browser(s) and version(s) you were testing
with.

The company will not get "a very high degree of interoperability" until
it fixes its long-standing bugs with Number (among, I expect, others).

And, to judge from that page, their spelling-checker is broken.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Proper <= 4-line sig. separator as above, a line exactly "-- " (RFCs 5536/7)