Scripting Errors in JavaScript

Myke Folkes

Dec 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/6/97

--------------804CF0243CB7825CB310D958

Hi, I am trying to get an order page/shopping cart working on a site,
and I keep getting scripting errors when ever someone tries it from
Internet Explorer.. (both 3.0 and 4.0..).

The error is:80004005.

What does this mean? What can I do to fix it? I would appreciate any

thanks
-Myke

--------------804CF0243CB7825CB310D958

begin: vcard
fn: Myke Folkes
n: Folkes;Myke
adr;dom: 155 S. Oak Apt. #B7;;;Spokane;WA;99204;
email;internet: mfo...@ior.com
x-mozilla-cpt: ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE
version: 2.1
end: vcard

--------------804CF0243CB7825CB310D958--

JustYaz

Dec 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/7/97

>Hi, I am trying to get an order page/shopping cart working on a site,
>and I keep getting scripting errors when ever someone tries it from
>Internet Explorer.. (both 3.0 and 4.0..).
>
>The error is:80004005.
>
>What does this mean? What can I do to fix it? I would appreciate any

A page to look at would help.

Eric Lippert (MS Scripting Dev)

Dec 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/8/97

I've got good news and bad news.

The good news is that is a totally well known error message.

The bad news is that it is E_FAIL: "Something failed". Not particularly
helpful.

Perhaps you could be more specific.

Eric

Duncan Crombie

Dec 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/9/97

Eric Lippert (MS Scripting Dev) wrote:
> Perhaps you could be more specific.

Perhaps the browser should be more specific, Eric (-:

--
-----
Duncan Crombie

Eric Lippert (MS Scripting Dev)

Dec 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/9/97

That's why I need more specifics -- it probably is not the browser. It
would be nice if every ActiveX control returned a decent EXCEPINFO
structure, but plenty of them just return E_FAIL whenever something goes
wrong.

Eric

Nick Fitzsimons

Dec 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/10/97

Just out of curiosity, why did MS include a really uninformative number,
rather than "Something failed"? The message is well known, but it's
confusing and irritating as hell until you learn that it's just devoid
of meaningful content separate from it's actual presence.

--
Nick Fitzsimons
Atlas Interactive Ltd

http://www.atlasinteractive.com

mailto:nickfit...@atlasinteractive.com

Eric Lippert (MS Scripting Dev)

Dec 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/10/97

We accidentally and not on purpose introduced a bug into the error handling
code right before we shipped version 3.0. One of the symptoms of this bug
was that the error string was not always displayed correctly. We fixed it
in scripting 3.1, which shipped with IE4.01 and the NT Option Pack.

Sorry about that.

Eric

Ralph

Dec 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/12/97

"Eric Lippert (MS Scripting Dev)" <Eri...@Microsoft.Com> writes

>We accidentally and not on purpose introduced a bug into

is this a new MS standard disclaimer ;-)

>the error handling
>code right before we shipped version 3.0. One of the symptoms of this bug
>was that the error string was not always displayed correctly. We fixed it
>in scripting 3.1, which shipped with IE4.01 and the NT Option Pack.
>
>Sorry about that.

what I was really wondering is why you referred to it as an ActiveX
error message, is the JScript interpreter an OCX ?

(my knowledge of ActiveX is v.limited)

cheers

--
Ralph

Eric Lippert (MS Scripting Dev)

Dec 12, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/12/97

Re: ActiveX

I was speaking somewhat imprecisely if I said that. The script engines are
not OCXs, and they do not provide a dispatch interface to the engine.

The Microsoft Script Control, which is available from
www.microsoft.com/scripting, DOES provide an ActiveX interface to the script
engines, and we just put a new version of the code up there this week, so
check it out.

The script engine's error propagation uses similar structures and values as
a dispatch interface would. Since the script engine can call ActiveX
controls on their dispatch interfaces, it is important that we correctly
propagate error information returned by those controls to the script host.

Re: Disclaimers. It's not the standard disclaimer... yet. :-)

Eric

Kal Khatib

Dec 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/13/97

Sadly, it's just microsoft way of doing things: convolutionary and cryptic.