drawing a graph

Newbie

May 14, 2005, 3:46:31 PM5/14/05
Dear friends,

I have been trying to draw a graph of vertices and edges connecting
these vertices in Java and to show them. Does anyone have a blueprint
of such a program.?
thanks
newbie

Rhino

May 14, 2005, 5:14:21 PM5/14/05

"Newbie" <trar...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
I'm honestly not sure what you mean but several sample programs illustrating
2D and 3D graphics come with the Java SDK. Have you looked at them?

Rhino

Daniel Sjöblom

May 14, 2005, 5:35:11 PM5/14/05
> "Newbie" <trar...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Dear friends,
>>
>>I have been trying to draw a graph of vertices and edges connecting
>>these vertices in Java and to show them. Does anyone have a blueprint
>>of such a program.?

A google search for "java graph drawing library" (without the quotes)
gives many results. In general, drawing arbitrary graphs is not easy,
there is no method that automatically gives you 'pretty' graphs, since
what is pretty is quite subjective.

--
Daniel Sjöblom
Remove _NOSPAM to reply by mail

Hal Rosser

May 14, 2005, 6:02:32 PM5/14/05
look at the Graphics class
use fillArc method for pie charts
and filRect method for bar charts
and drawLine for those 'edges'
and the Point class for those 'vertices'
just a start - many others - check the other replies

Betty

May 14, 2005, 8:38:39 PM5/14/05

"Newbie" <trar...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
The AT&T package "Graphviz" works pretty good. Does it have to be
in java?

Amit Chatterjee

May 15, 2005, 5:45:15 AM5/15/05

I am not sure about your graphing requirement but I have used JFreeChart
(http://www.jfree.org/jfreechart/). It is a powerful chart package for
Java and it is free.

* Amit Chatterjee amit.chatterjee AT quik-j DOT com *
* http://www.quik-computing.com *
* QUIK Computing - Home of the Open Source Contact Center*

Dale King

May 18, 2005, 12:47:48 AM5/18/05

Graphviz is very good and if you google for "graphviz java" you will
find more than one Java API for it.
--
Dale King

Remi Bastide

May 18, 2005, 3:19:19 AM5/18/05
Dale King <Dale...@insightbb.nospam.com> wrote:

>Betty wrote:
>> "Newbie" <trar...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>Dear friends,
>>>
>>>I have been trying to draw a graph of vertices and edges connecting
>>>these vertices in Java and to show them. Does anyone have a blueprint
>>>of such a program.?
>>>thanks
>>>newbie

http://jgraph.sourceforge.net/