State Monad style

dauc...@gmail.com

Nov 14, 2007, 12:30:13 PM11/14/07
Hello, all,

Working at state monad again. Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Ackermann_function) gives the standard definition of the Ackermann
function:

> a :: Integer -> Integer -> Integer
> a m n | m == 0 = n + 1
> | m > 0 && n == 0 = a (m - 1) 1
> | m > 0 && n > 0 = a (m - 1) (a m (n - 1))

After running it, I immediately thought of using the State monad to
memo intermediate results (sort of a top-down dynamic programming
approach):

> type AckMap = Map (Integer, Integer) Integer
> type AckMapS = State AckMap Integer

> ackify :: Integer -> Integer -> AckMapS
> ackify m n = do mappo <- get
> case Map.lookup (m, n) mappo of
> Just num -> return num
> Nothing -> ackify' m n

now we need to recursively update the map

> ackify' :: Integer -> Integer -> AckMapS
> ackify' m n | m == 0 = return (n + 1) >>= ackify'' m n
> | m > 0 && n == 0 = ackify (m - 1) 1 >>= ackify'' m n
> | m > 0 && n > 0 =
> ackify m (n - 1) >>= ackify (m - 1) arg >>= ackify'' m n

> ackify'' :: Integer -> Integer -> Integer -> AckMapS
> ackify'' m n ans = do mappo <- get
> put (Map.insert (m, n) ans mappo)
> return ans

... and that works fine (ackify' is my monadic version of my Ackermann
function 'a'), speeding up the computation exponentially, it seems to
me.

My question is, am I violating any principles of monadic style or
brevity? If so, where are the guides for me to correct my style? Put
another way: what are better ways to use Haskell programming
techniques (monads or otherwise) here to increase function 'a's
efficiency while keeping its declarative nature intact?

Sincerely,
Doug Auclair

BTW, wikipedia has a HO functional definition that transliterates to
Haskell very nicely:

> ack :: Integer -> Integer -> Integer
> ack 0 = succ
> ack m = iter $ ack (m - 1)

> iter :: (Integer -> Integer) -> Integer -> Integer
> iter f 0 = f 1
> iter f n = f $ iter f (n - 1)

(perhaps the wikipedia def has an error, but that's not a propos to
this discussion)

Dirk Thierbach

Nov 16, 2007, 2:44:10 AM11/16/07
dauc...@gmail.com wrote:

>> a :: Integer -> Integer -> Integer
>> a m n | m == 0 = n + 1
>> | m > 0 && n == 0 = a (m - 1) 1
>> | m > 0 && n > 0 = a (m - 1) (a m (n - 1))

[Version with State monad]

> My question is, am I violating any principles of monadic style or
> brevity? If so, where are the guides for me to correct my style? Put
> another way: what are better ways to use Haskell programming
> techniques (monads or otherwise) here to increase function 'a's
> efficiency while keeping its declarative nature intact?

I am not aware of any specific recommended monadic style. Nevertheless,
I'd like to point out two alternatives to your way, using a more
general approach. (I'd say the monadic style used is more or less the
same; it's the way of thinking about memoization that's different.)

It's well known that recursion can be modelled as fixpoint

> fix :: (a -> a) -> a
> fix f = let x = f x in x

of a function that has an extra argument which is used instead of the
recursive calls. So let's rewrite the ackermann function from above in
that way. While we're at it, we replace the two arguments by a pair
(the reason for that will be seen shortly); we assume the arguments
are positive to avoid checking them all the time; and we use pattern
matching for the zeroes:

> acker :: ((Integer, Integer) -> Integer) ->
> ((Integer, Integer) -> Integer)
> acker a' (0,n) = n + 1
> acker a' (m,0) = a' (m-1, 1)
> acker a' (m,n) = a' (m-1, a' (m, n-1))

We can then write the old function as

> ackermann0 :: Integer -> Integer -> Integer
> ackermann0 m n
> | n < 0 || m < 0 = error "negative arguments"
> | otherwise = fix acker (m,n)

Now, a simple way to memoize calls is to use an array. As arrays are lazy,
we just have to create an array with an expression for all the values
we wish to memoize, and call-by-need will replace them with values as the
calculation proceeds. We use the extra argument for recursive calls to
"squeeze in" accesses to the array instead, but otherwise we're again
just calculating the fixpoint. The only difference is that instead of
starting out with any type a, we now have to make the assumption the
we're looking at the function of type a -> b, because we need to
explicitely process the arguments (and that's the reason for the
uncurried form of "acker" we used above). In this version, we also
simply calculate any values outside of the memoized range with recursion,
as before (instead we could throw an error, for example).

To compare, fix had type

fix :: ( a -> a ) -> a

> memoizeA :: Ix a => (a,a) -> ((a -> b) -> (a -> b)) -> Array a b
> memoizeA b t = a where
> a = listArray b [t f x | x <- range b]
> f x | inRange b x = a ! x
> | otherwise = t f x

Now we can pick some bounds and write

> ackermann1 :: Integer -> Integer -> Integer
> ackermann1 m n
> | n < 0 || m < 0 = error "negative arguments"
> | otherwise = memoizeA ((0,0),(4,1000)) acker ! (m,n)

If we know the expected range of arguments in advance, this version is
likely quite fast, because we can exploit O(1) element access. But for
the ackermann function, n can get easily very large, so let's use a
Map instead, like you did. First, we again rewrite the original
function, but this time in monadic style:

> ackerM :: Monad m => ((Integer, Integer) -> m Integer) ->
> ((Integer, Integer) -> m Integer)
> ackerM a' (0,n) = return $ n + 1
> ackerM a' (m,0) = a' (m-1, 1)
> ackerM a' (m,n) = a' (m, n-1) >>= \n' -> a' (m-1, n')

Now we can "squeeze in" the lookup and update of the map in a very
similar way to above:

> type StateMap a b = State (Map a b) b
>
> memoizeM :: Ord a => ((a -> StateMap a b) -> (a -> StateMap a b)) -> (a -> b)
> memoizeM t x = evalState (f x) Map.empty where
> g x = do
> y <- t f x
> m <- get
> put $ Map.insert x y m;
> return y
> f x = get >>= \m -> maybe (g x) return (Map.lookup x m)

and get the top-level function

> ackermann2 :: Integer -> Integer -> Integer
> ackermann2 m n
> | n < 0 || m < 0 = error "negative arguments"
> | otherwise = memoizeM ackerM (m,n)

The advantage of these approaches is that they leave the original function
more or less intact, and one can re-use the memoization HOFs in other
code. The disadvantage is that due to the extra arguments, it's probably
a bit less efficient than your inlined version.

- Dirk